1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Emissions - should I avoid it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 02:03 PM
OC Ford
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California Emissions - should I avoid it?

Hello FTE's - a noobie here, that just recently found this great site. Lots of great info!

I'm near finalization of purchasing an F350. I have residence in California and Colorado. I understand that there's a 49-state emissions and a California emissions. Evidently there's no hi-altitude emissions, correct?

Should I take the trip to CO to avoid the CA emissions? Any good/bad experiences? How about future upgrades? Does it apply to both the PSD and the gas engine?

Many thanks all.

Old 06-09-2005, 03:19 PM
warmdye
Elder User
How can you have residence in 2 states? You can only have one drivers license?

Old 06-09-2005, 04:03 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Like you think you have a choice? Colorado probably won't care, but if you get caught in California (very easy to do if you have a California driver's licence, or one of your neighbors turns you in- the usual way this goes down), they will:
1) impound the truck, force you to post a bond to get it out of impound. you get the bond back when the truck leaves the state- permanently.
2) Get fined severely by two authorities, CARB and Department of Revenue

The only way to sidestep CARB is to buy one with more than 7500 miles on it that's been in service longer than 6 months.

It ain't worth it- don't even think about it.

Old 06-09-2005, 04:34 PM
LOOnatic
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm kinda in the same boat as i drift from Louisiana to san diego.
I bought my truck in New Orleans and had it serviced in cali where they reflashed it.
It turns out that the cali flash detunes the heck out of the 6.0 to make less emissions.
I drove it that way for about 6 months and eventually had it reflashed in Florida and WOW what a difference.

Not sure if you have a 6.0 or gasser but either way i would dance around it as long as possible(ie, avoiding the c.a.r.b. controls) as you and your truck will not be happy if you make it cali complient.

Oh, i have liscences from both states but only tags in one.

Old 06-09-2005, 04:41 PM
OC Ford
Freshman User
To clarify - The truck will be used in CO, not CA. I'm really trying to decide if I should buy the truck here in CA (with 30-day tags) and tow my rig up there, or buy it in CO, drive back to CA, pick up my rig and tow it back. Is it worth it to avoid CA emissions? I believe it's more than just a flash - or am I mistaken?

Make sense?

Old 06-09-2005, 05:00 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is it about CA emissions you're so afraid of? They haven't used extra pollution gear since 1996, and you actually get a better emissions warranty on a Ford equipped with CA emissions.

Old 06-09-2005, 05:07 PM
OC Ford
Freshman User
1956MarkII - What am I afraid of? Well - you answered part of it. I wanted to know if there was extra gear for CA. Glad to hear there isn't. Didn't know about the warranty either. Thanks!

But I've tried to be a good member and search first. I came across what seems like a lot of "issues" (power loss, lower mileage) wrt CA emission trucks. How much of that is the noisy few or is it a broad problem?

Old 06-09-2005, 07:06 PM
99bajakid
Senior User
?? im confused, are you talking about a diesel SD or a gas? because from what i've read and been told by various dealers is in california you dont need to smog diesel vehicles.. which in my way of thinking means they're exempt from smog laws right?

Old 06-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Outpost22
Posting Guru
My 2000 has CA emissions, even though I live in Oregon. The dealer told me the emissions are the same, BUT, I think when guys put headers on these V10's, the CA emission trucks have an extra port on the exhaust system header or piping for some sort of sensor or tubing. Wish I could remember for sure. I guess the million dollar question is:"What motor are you buying?".

Also, why buy in CA and pay the sales tax? Does Colorado have a sales tax too? Are they at the same rate? Can you have the truck delivered to Nevada or Oregon and avoid the sales tax? Then, drive it home from there.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:46 PM
LOOnatic
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The guys with diesel's registered in CA were sent letters from the state about having to have the truck re-flashed in order to re-register the truck.
That means that at the least CA has a stricter emissions program and Ford had to reflash for that state.
When mine was in for service they flashed my 49 state PCM with it and it wasn't nearly as peppy afterward.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:04 PM
OC Ford
Freshman User
I'm probably getting the PDS. I live in CA now, and I can't get a straight answer on smog for diesels. It's not so much of an issue for me since we're moving out of state.

I do seem to remember though from the FAQ that even the diesel has a 49-state version and a CA version. Thus my original question.

Thanks for all the input folks. Great forum!

Old 06-10-2005, 03:21 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Just as a FYI, the '06 diesels will all be 50-state emissions.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:21 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Outpost22
I think when guys put headers on these V10's, the CA emission trucks have an extra port on the exhaust system header or piping for some sort of sensor or tubing. Wish I could remember for sure.
The old 2-valve V10 had a CA emissions version with EGR. The "49-state" emissions trucks did not have EGR.

Haven't looked REAL hard, but I've not seen an obvious EGR system on my '05 either. So, there may still be a difference between the two emissions ratings.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:33 PM
airpilikia
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can someone tell me how to find where it says 49 or 50 state? It is on an 05 F 250 PSD. The truck is in/from Washington State. And I want to bring it to California. It only has 3000 miles on it.

Old 11-22-2005, 11:40 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Easiest way is to check under the hood for the emissions sticker. If it sez "50 States" or "California" on it, you're good to go.

One more thing- are you buying it in Washington, or taking it with you when you move? Makes a difference- it's got to have over 7,500 miles on it to be bought and then registered in California.

Quick Reply: California Emissions - should I avoid it?