keroscene?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 10:03 PM
FireMan208
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keroscene?

Hey folks,
Earlier today I was talkin' with an older gentleman about my PSD. He asked if in the winter I mixed about 5 gallons of keroscene in my diesel @ fill-ups? Just wonderin the theory behind this? Also what exactly is boost? Still new to the game of diesels. Thanks!!!

Old 06-12-2005, 10:44 PM
Skeeter2221
Junior User
Fireman 208
First off if 208 is your fire unit number, my unit number is also 208 PD. Well any way I've often heard of the old farmers around here mixing kerosene w/ diesel during the winter inorder to keep the diesel from jelling. Talking to a diesel mech. I found that it may not be the best practice. I've too mixed it together but only when the temp is 0* and diesel anti jelling wasn't available. I use the diesel kleen anti jell during the winter and reg. diesel kleen though the summer months.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Flinno18
Senior User
Boost is the pressure at which your turbo compresses the air the engine is taking in. The ability to compress air means more flows into the engine which in turn means the engine is able to make more horsepower. (More air to mix with the fuel.) Umm I think that is the simplest terms I can put it in. If there is anymore to it please add on for me! I hope that scratches the surface for you.

Old 06-12-2005, 11:08 PM
FireMan208
Junior User
Thanks Guys,
Yea Skeeter my FD unit used to be 208, now its 204 ( got bumped up to Lt. ).

Old 06-13-2005, 09:21 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
kwikordead posted this in another thread... it helped me to understand the way the turbo works... "you have to understand why things work the way they do on a starship..."

"You'll only get boost when there is enoughtvelocity to drive the turbine. At idle there is just not enough heat generated inside the combustion chambers to expand the air that much. Besides at idle you don't need that much fuel energy to maintain engine speed. So there is very little pressure on the exhaust side to drive the turbine. Now if you start to give it some throttle, more fuel gets injected, more heat gets generated inside the combustion chamber and you get greater expansion of the air trapped inside the combustion chamber. Since the chamber doesn't get bigger that greater expansion has to go somewhere and it does in the form of increasing PSI inside the combustion chamber and then the exhaust manifold once it exits the engine. Now there is no longer any constraints on the size of the air and like water, air pressure always seeks it's own level. So it starts blowing forcefully out the turbine wheel housing as it's the only way out. Turbine starts to spin and boost starts to be generated. It's all about the amount of fuel injected, the amount of heat generated as a result and the resulting exhaust velocity through the exhaust housing." - KwikorDead

Old 06-14-2005, 12:37 AM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Boost is an elevated intake manifold pressure. As you open the throttle, the increase in engine speed causes an increase in exhaust flow which drives a turbine wheel. The wheel is connected to a compressor wheel. The faster the exhaust side turns, the faster the compressor wheel turns forcing air into the intake manifold.At manifold pressures below 7 PSIG the engine is merely boosted. Once you exceed 7 PSIG then your engine is supercharged.

Old 06-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Diesel Truck Driver
New User
Kerosene is basically the same thing as #1 fuel oil, subtle differences but for the price it is much cheaper to use #1 in your tank. All of this also depends on the temp being very cold, otherwise you are giving away your money for less mileage.
How do I know? Check out the post on what the names mean.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:41 PM
MasterTrim
Junior User
Originally Posted by FireMan208
Hey folks,
Earlier today I was talkin' with an older gentleman about my PSD. He asked if in the winter I mixed about 5 gallons of keroscene in my diesel @ fill-ups? Just wonderin the theory behind this? Also what exactly is boost? Still new to the game of diesels. Thanks!!!
That will basicly thin the diesel, old timer thing to do. If you can get Kero cheap mix it with WVO. I know some farmers doing that in there tractors 50/50 and a friend that runs 90/10 WVO to Kero in there diesel generator and it will start in -20 weather. WVO is alot cheaper than diesel too.