1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

97F150 Ford Shaking above 60mph

Old 06-06-2005, 01:37 AM
blvette
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 97F150 Ford Shaking above 60mph

I have a 4wheel drive f150 4.6 I was driving down the interstate when I heard a click and truck started shaking. It stops below 60 but starts after I looked at the drive shaft and replace the u-joint but did not fix. It looks like the yoke coming out of the tranfer case is going up and down. Has anyone seen this. Is there a bearing in the back of the nose cone? I don't think the yoke is bent or the driveshaft. Any tips would be greatly apreciated.

Old 06-06-2005, 07:07 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 06-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Could the "click" you heard have been a wheel balancing weight flying off one of the wheels? Unless you knew exactly where and how many weights were on each wheel before (I sure wouldn't!), it may not be easy to tell its gone.

If it were me, I'd start with the simple stuff first - With a good spare, put the spare on one wheel position, and try it out over 60 MPH. If no shaking, then the wheel/tire that was there before was the problem. If it still shakes, put the original wheel back on where it was, and move the spare to the next wheel position.

Just a thought.

Old 06-06-2005, 10:50 AM
basecamp
Senior User
If you look at the inside of your wheels or perhaps on your drive line you can usually see where a balancing weight was at and if it happened to fly off. Take it to a good tire shop and they will balance them and tell you if it was one of the tires. The one where I buy my tires balances mine for free. If you see a place on the drive line where a weight came off you will want to take the drive line out and have it rebalanced.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:24 AM
blvette
New User
Exclamation driveshaft out, no shake now

Hey I took the driveshaft out today and drove it in 4 wheel drive and the shake was gone put the driveshaft back in and it starts at 60, I put it up on stands and let the driveshaft spin and it looks like the piece that goes into the transfer case is going up and down a little bit could that be it, I didn't hit anything so I don't think it coiuld be a bent driveshaft or anything

Old 06-07-2005, 07:51 AM
basecamp
Senior User
I would really look at getting your driveshaft balanced, I bet you lost a weight on the shaft. Can you physically make the driveshaft go up and down at your transfercase. A tiny bit of play is normal but a lot may show your bushing in the cone of the transfercase is bad. I would first have the driveline checked.

Old 06-08-2005, 06:28 PM
blvette
New User
Exclamation Tailshaft Pushing

I took it apart again today it is the tailshaft bushing, it had came out so I pressed it back in, worked for a little bit and then started shaking again. Does anyone know where I get a tailshaft housing from, for a ford 150 4X4 97'. or can u just buy the bushing the tailshaft housing looks fine?

Search this Thread