1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear axle out of alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Super Steve
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear axle out of alignment

I took my truck to big-o to get the wheels rotated and balanced and they recommended an alignment. They found that that one rear wheel is actually 1/2 an inch forward of the other. Apparently the superlift springs are off. This explains why my truck pulls to the right. Has anyone else run into this problem with aftermarket springs?
steve

Old 06-05-2005, 02:41 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
How do they know its the rear? Did they measure from the axle tube to a shackle bolt?
Reason being is that I've seen rear axles being off and it will steer fine. With that said the only way you get for and aft problems is either the locator pin bolt etc is not in the hole or you got bad springs or wrong application. You have to find the exact problem and examine carefully.

Dick

Old 06-05-2005, 03:10 PM
jetjock16
Posting Guru
as the spring compresses you axle moves back.. so if one spring even sags a little more then the other, the rear axle could be slightly out of alignment.. measure from the Bolt at the front of the spring that bolts it to the frame, to on of the top bolts on the backside of the wheel.. the threads that stick out to hold the hub assembly on, you'll see if you look, you want a specific point as just measuring to the axle tub is not accurate enough. This problem has been posted before, if there withing 1/4" of each other, it is as straight as on stock trucks.. if it has been like that for any lenght of time you would notice tire wear

Old 06-05-2005, 11:48 PM
Super Steve
Laughing Gas
They put it on one of those electronic alignment racks. A sensor thingy mounts to the face of each rim and the computer shows the angles and positions of each rim.
I haven't measured yet to see if the axle locator bolts are different from side to side, but I imagine that is most likely what it is.
steve

Old 07-10-2005, 07:49 PM
JaBerryhill
Freshman User
Did you ever find out what your problem is? I have the same prob. My truck doesnt track down the road straight and didnt happen until i put lift on but i only used blocks in back so im pretty confused on mine as well. On the driver side rear the spring pack isnt lined up with the bottom helper spring but the pass side is lined up fine. When your driving behind my truck you can see the front left tire sticking out. Looks really weird and drives me nuts.

Old 07-10-2005, 08:00 PM
jetjock16
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JaBerryhill
Did you ever find out what your problem is? I have the same prob. My truck doesnt track down the road straight and didnt happen until i put lift on but i only used blocks in back so im pretty confused on mine as well. On the driver side rear the spring pack isnt lined up with the bottom helper spring but the pass side is lined up fine. When your driving behind my truck you can see the front left tire sticking out. Looks really weird and drives me nuts.
All ford trucks have a wider stance in front then rear, and if you look closely when following, will look like there out of allignment or whatever... it is just becuase the front tires stick out about 1/2" more then the rears

Old 07-10-2005, 09:45 PM
marv02
Senior User
Is you track bar have a preload on it if so you'r front axle mite be not centered cause the pulling, Are you'r tires worn this will cause pulling air pressure will cause pulling, try swapping you front tires side to side and see if the pull still there it could be a bad tire.

How you tires wearing look like is it feathering spots that where it's been Cupping is wearing flat completly across the foot print Ect this will tell you about you'r truck.

Big O-Tires most of the time won't tell you some of these kids that do the work don't know what to look for..

If you truck is crabing if the rear end is that far out of line the tire will wear funny also just like a front end is out of wack.

Old 07-11-2005, 02:48 PM
JaBerryhill
Freshman User
Yeah its weird. Never had a problem with tire wear but i did keep them rotated every other oil change. I just went with brand newe 36 iroks still has the pulling. Ive had my adjustable trac bar cut and sleeved inth emiddle to shorten. Spent alot of money with diff shops around town and everyone says they can fix it but then its never fixed. So My next step was to buy a whole new lift and start over and pray.

Old 07-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Super Steve
Laughing Gas
Right now I'm stuck in New Mexico until February, but as soon as I get back home (where I have all my tools ) I'm going to take measurements to verify what the guys at big O told me. And if it is off like they said, I'll make a lift block that has offset locator pins so as to move the rear axle the way it needs to go.