1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Steering Damper on '05

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 05:43 PM
cterrysgd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Steering Damper on '05

Anyone running an aftermarket steering damper on an '05? i'm interested in getting rid of some of the steering wheel play over bumps on the road. If you do have one.... does your truck have the 18 or 17 inch wheels? If it has the 18's... does it make the slop in the steering wheel go away?

Thanks...

Chris

Old 06-01-2005, 10:04 PM
Chris_in_Texas
Senior User
I would like to know how this fairs out as well... The first time I hit a large bump I thought I was going to end up in the ditch.

When I take mine in for the first service I am going to complain, but not sure how much it will do.

Rancho makes RS5413 FOR A 2005 SD 4X4 OEM INSTALL. ~ $55

Chris

Chris

Old 06-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Chris_in_Texas
Senior User
Oh forgot to mention:

Steering Wheel Shimmy After Riding Over Bumps/Ruts:
Some 05 F-Series trucks may exhibit an oscillation/shimmy in the steering wheel after hitting bumps or ruts in the road. Typical steering wheel movement is 5 degrees and usually smooths out after about 5 oscillations. This condition is more prevalent on 4X4 trucks with steering wheels that have radio and climate controls. The truck will need to be inspected: tire pressure checked; steering damper inspected; all suspension and steering fasteners torqued; steering checked for binding; steering gear adjustment checked/adjusted. After this, trucks build prior to 10-8-04 should have the steering wheel replaced.
King Ranch tan/pebble: 5C7Z-3600-ABE
Charcoal black: 5C7Z-3600-CBA
TSB 04-26-01

Chris

Old 06-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Jawbreaker
Junior User
I ordered the Rancho replacement for my o5 250 4x4. Same problem you have. I have 18 " wheels and I think that is part of the problem. The new 05 designed front suspension can't handle the bigger tires. It should arrive in 10 days. I will re post after the install. I went the dealer route, and was told to leave it for the day and they would check it out. For 55 dollars and my time to install, sure beats the dealer putting the same OEM SS back on. There is another post of mine from last week, same thread.

Old 06-01-2005, 10:33 PM
Chris_in_Texas
Senior User
Jaw,

I have the KR with the 18's as well. Its like, holy crap batman , hold on when you go over a set of rail road tracks at speed. We have some RR tracks on the state highways and you hit those and end up in the other lane.

Chris

Old 06-01-2005, 11:30 PM
cterrysgd
Senior User
jawbreaker.... i'm interested to see if the rancho makes a difference. I'm all over it for $55 if it does! Thanks and i'll look forward to hearing the results.

Old 06-02-2005, 06:46 AM
Jawbreaker
Junior User
CHRIS IN TEXAS,

I thought lane skipping and railroad tracks was an option I didn't know I ordered. My truck would change zip codes. Also, one big pot hole both tires, ok, but a big manhole cover dip one tire, then grab your a**, your going for a ride batman!!

I will let you know. The part is backordered because it just came on line this month. I ordered it from Summit Racing.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:16 AM
Chris_in_Texas
Senior User
Yep... Know what you mean.

Will look forward to hearing the "good" outcome.

Chris

Old 06-02-2005, 11:00 AM
jetact
Elder User
When I added my lift I changed out the stock steering shock with a skyjacker shock to match the rest. I run 35" Toyo MT and don't have any problem

Old 06-25-2005, 07:38 AM
Jawbreaker
Junior User
Finally got the Rancho RS 5413 for the OEM replacement SS last night after back order. I thought it would be easy to install, but I couldn't get the front ?spindle? of the old SS to come out of the steering linkage? (cross member connecting both wheels). I did hit it couple of times with a hammer. The truck is still like brand new underneath without rust or corrison. Now its hard to do this on your back, so I quess I will get someone to install it. Any info would be helpful. It looks just too darn easy, and that is what scares me. It comes with all new replacement parts. Anyone installed the Rancho RS 5413, do all the replacement parts fit? The double spindle? looks different.
Thanks

Old 06-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Steve_250
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Texas
Oh forgot to mention:

Steering Wheel Shimmy After Riding Over Bumps/Ruts:
Some 05 F-Series trucks may exhibit an oscillation/shimmy in the steering wheel after hitting bumps or ruts in the road. Typical steering wheel movement is 5 degrees and usually smooths out after about 5 oscillations. This condition is more prevalent on 4X4 trucks with steering wheels that have radio and climate controls. The truck will need to be inspected: tire pressure checked; steering damper inspected; all suspension and steering fasteners torqued; steering checked for binding; steering gear adjustment checked/adjusted. After this, trucks build prior to 10-8-04 should have the steering wheel replaced.
King Ranch tan/pebble: 5C7Z-3600-ABE
Charcoal black: 5C7Z-3600-CBA
TSB 04-26-01

Chris
Chris, where did you find this?

Old 06-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Jawbreaker
Junior User
Update-- Yes we now have soup.. I did get it installed myself after letting WD 40 soak overnight. ( only 4500 k on the 2005) The Rancho replacement SS went very smooth and all parts fit very well. And yes, a big difference is noticed on the road!!!!! Also, the OEM from Ford that I took off, says MONROE Shocks on it. The Rancho is much better in construction and performance. Well worth the 55 dollars. Hope this helps others.

Old 06-25-2005, 05:33 PM
Chris_in_Texas
Senior User
Old 06-25-2005, 05:34 PM
Chris_in_Texas
Senior User
Jawbreaker,

Thats good to know. Mine goes in for the first service wed and we will see what they say.

Sounds like I might as well just replace the darn thing.

Chris

Old 06-26-2005, 06:13 AM
captchas
Originally Posted by cterrysgd
Anyone running an aftermarket steering damper on an '05? i'm interested in getting rid of some of the steering wheel play over bumps on the road. If you do have one.... does your truck have the 18 or 17 inch wheels? If it has the 18's... does it make the slop in the steering wheel go away?

Thanks...

Chris
have your dealer check, there was a issue with the steering box on the early 05's and sloopie steering. it's at least worth have them do a oassis report on it.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Steering Damper on '05