General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Warehouse clubs

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 05:12 PM
magnum300
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warehouse clubs

Do you think sams club or costo is better?

Old 06-01-2005, 05:38 PM
chefbob
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bj's For me,

Old 06-01-2005, 05:46 PM
magnum300
Senior User
if there was a BJ's in my area I would have included them

Old 06-01-2005, 05:59 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
For what? My take goes something like this- if quality is a higher priority than price per se, Costco is the leader. That includes the brands of merchandise they stock, and their own house brand. If price is the sole issue, Sam's Club has got 'em beat.

What happens at our house is certain items (bakery items, dog food, beer ,some meats, snack foods) get bought at Costco. Costco is also on the list if the shopping trip is close to lunch or dinner (kewl dogs and pretzels). Other items, especially that we're not especially brand-conscious over, get bought at Sam's Club or at a Walmart Superstore.

I'm also noticing that the local chains will beat both for price if you catch the ads right. Our local Fred Meyer's (owned by Krogers) is my local favorite.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Has anybody noticed the new brand of madness at Costco lately?
Maybe it was just the crowd at the 1411 Warden Costco. I can't remember the members being so bloody rude that they would, more than once, push me or my cart out of the way so they could scamper off in a big hurry.
That was officially the last time I'll set foot in the Warden Costco.
OK, rant over !!!!
AL.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:16 PM
F150Texan
Posting Guru
Ebbaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Babbbbbbbbbbbbbbyyyyyyyy

Sam's Club here, I don't recall seeing any CostCo in Texas.

Old 06-01-2005, 10:49 PM
fordguy21
Senior User
Bj's because they stay open later until 9:30 on weekdays and saturday, the Sam's club which is on the other side of the mall shopping center, close at 7:30 or 8:00 for regular members, but they stay open an hour later for bussiness members, so really it is a hit and miss thing, one place as something cheaper then the other, on the other hand sams membership is cheaper then BJs sams is $30 -vs- bjs $40 or $45.

Old 06-01-2005, 11:21 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
theres Cosco's in texas. mostly the bigger areas. i know there is at least one in San Antonio,and i have seen others in other cities

Old 06-01-2005, 11:35 PM
RangerRuss
Elder User
Like Ernie says, Costco/Sams depends on what one is shopping for. Each has their forte. Some items that Costco carries and Sam's does not are preferable and vice-versa.

We have two Sam's equadistant from home. Costco is much further away. Who has what you want or need? Prices for what you get IMO are comparable.

Russ

Old 06-02-2005, 05:24 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sam's is the only game in town around here, but for some things we buy, it's worth the membership. Being self-employed, I can also get the business membership, which is like $5 less than the personal one. We've heard that they're also real good about taking suggestions on items to stock, so we may start taking them up on that. For most regular grocery items, though, my wife is good with going through the sale flyers, then making the rounds of Super WalMart, Meijer's, Aldi's, Payless/Kroger and Gordon's Food Service.

Jason

Old 06-02-2005, 06:24 AM
94van
Posting Guru
I used to have a card for Sam's, but I gave it up. The local store was always dirty, pallets blocking the aisles, lots of empty shelves, and when you check out, no more than one or two cashiers. Their check-out system leaves a lot to be desired.

I now have a BJ's card. Cleaner store, and more cashiers.

Old 06-02-2005, 01:55 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Dealford
Has anybody noticed the new brand of madness at Costco lately?
Maybe it was just the crowd at the 1411 Warden Costco. I can't remember the members being so bloody rude that they would, more than once, push me or my cart out of the way so they could scamper off in a big hurry.
That was officially the last time I'll set foot in the Warden Costco.
OK, rant over !!!!
AL.
No, it's not just you. A few months ago, at our local Costco, a parking spot was opening up, but I had to back the truck up about 10-15' to get in position to turn in. There was a big Lexus coming up behind me. The woman sees the spot, and parks right behind my bumper- with the truck's backup lights on, and lays on the horn. Bad decision- I'm in the '93 F150, she's in a brand new big Lexus . I just took my foot off of the brake and inched backwards, but she wouldn't budge, and her thumb must've gotten jammed into the horn thingie.

Sooo...I got out of the truck and explained to her, as nicely as I could, that she was either going to back up or I was going to take the truck right over the top of the hood of that wanna-be POS (I usually don't get that cranky, but I pretty wound up 'bout then). I must've been pretty convincing.

Old 06-02-2005, 02:06 PM
blitzen25bm
Elder User
costco cause its the only place i can afford to fill up my truck and car. plus their food cafeteria place has pretty good food for abotu 2 dollars. they are also the best on returns, you can bring anything back.

Old 06-02-2005, 03:43 PM
Tuvanhillbilly
Tuned
Originally Posted by jroehl
Sam's is the only game in town around here, but for some things we buy, it's worth the membership. Being self-employed, I can also get the business membership, which is like $5 less than the personal one....<snip>...Jason
One other good (great actually) thing about the business membership is that you can get in the store before it opens to the public. Here it is 7-10 am. There is nobody in the store, they usually have a free breakfast set up (at least at mine--(eggs, bacon biscuits, coffee), and you can get in and out in no time whatsoever-- NO lines! They also have this thing where you can fax in your order in the afternoon and they will have it pulled and ready for you when you show up in the morning! You just pay and load your truck. My local Sam's is great about listening to suggestions, also. The manager came to my office one day, said he was coming to all his local business accounts and wanted to know how we thought things were going. I said great but I had one little really stupid complaint-- when I ordered a berry sundae at the food counter they had to run around to the back of their kitchen area (where they kept the tub o' berries), scoop a little in the cup, then run back to the front of the kitchen to pull some soft-serve ice cream into the cup, then run back again to the back of the kitchen to top off with some more berries, then run back up front to give it to me. I told him I thought it was really inefficient and asked why they just didn't keep the berry tub next to the soft serve machine. He agreed to look at it and darned if within two days I went back and there was the berry tub next to the machine! I mentioned it to the girl and she said "you know, we had been doing it the other way for the two years I've been here and I don't know why we never thought to just move it up here!". I guess I was just overall impressed that the manager took time to come see ME and thank me for his business and listened and acted on my smallest complaint.

Old 06-02-2005, 04:39 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Costco here, and the quality of the stuff they carry is pretty good. There's also no Sams club around. On some Costco customers being rude, yes agreed. So many customers park/abandon their shopping carts in the middle of the d*** aisles that it get's hard to get around them and move on, and the customers are so absorbed at what they are looking at that they have no clue they are blocking people from getting by. I've sometimes wondered if these same people drive under the speed limit in the left lane, oblivious to the people behind them .

Quick Reply: Warehouse clubs