You cant get the covers have to replace the whole thing. Can buy for dealer for about 50 dollars. Disconect battery first to disable airbag. Two screws on on each side of stearing wheel under tabs. Unplug old buttons replace with new ones.I did not use the new wires with mine i just used the ols ones. There is two types left and right hand ground does not matter which one you buy sugest the cheepest . mine worked fine about 10 min.
Here is the procedure for replacing a lamp bulb in the cruise control switch, as set forth by JDraper over at the X-forum:
1. Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery and let the vehicle sit for at least 2 minutes. This will deactivate the airbag inflators.
2. Pry out the plastic plugs on the back side of the steering wheel. They are round and about 1" in diameter, one on each side.
3. Remove the bolts you find behind the plugs. These hold the airbag and the horn in place. Once they are out, the center of the steering wheel will come off. You should have enough wire in the airbag harness to just rest the assembly on the column or the bottom of the steering wheel.
4. There are 2 bolts that hold each of the cruise control assemblies in place. Remove them and the assemblies pull off. There is a wiring harness to each one that has a connector that you have to make sure is seated when you put it back together.
5. Pull the rubber cover (the buttons) off the circuit boards to access the light bulbs. The bulbs have a colored rubber cover on them that you will need to re-use. The bulbs have a plastic base that just twists out of the circuit board.
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.