98 Explorer Turn Signal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 09:04 PM
lparisi
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 Explorer Turn Signal Problem

I have a 1998 Explorer XLT Automatic Trans that I have owned since 2000. A few years ago, the right turn signal would not work and it sounded as if there was a short in the steering column. I brought it to the dealership to get fixed which promptly cost be around $150.

The left side now has the same problem. Is there anyone else that's seen/heard of this problem? Given the high cost of per hour rates at the dealership, I can't imagine it was that difficult to fix considering it was $150 for parts and labor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-31-2005, 10:26 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
When you turn the left side on, what is happening? Is the dash indicator on solid? Are any of the outside lights glowing?

Does your model have the amber rear turnsignal lamps? If not, what happens when you turn left and hit the brake pedal?

Old 06-02-2005, 06:28 AM
lparisi
New User
When I turn left there is no dash indicator on. Interestingly if the steering wheel is pointed slightly to the right or centered I can get the turn signal to work most of the time.I'll have to look at the rear turn signal and experiment with the brake. However, most of the time I do not notice any difference in behavior when I use the turn signal with or without the brake.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:29 PM
Franklin2
Interestingly if the steering wheel is pointed slightly to the right or centered I can get the turn signal to work most of the time.
This almost sounds like a mechanical problem with the cancellation mechanism. Are you going to take it apart and have a look? I can tell you though, steering columns are not fun to work on.

Old 11-19-2005, 08:51 AM
Driver1
New User
Explorer Turn Signal Problem

I am having this same problem. My right turn signal works sometimes and not others. When it's not working, the right arrow on the gage cluster doesn't work and the front right signal doesn't work, but the rear one does. It behaves as if the bulb is burned out, but it isn't If I tilt the steering wheel up then it will work, but when I tilt it back down then it doesn't work. I thought it could be a short in a wire somewhere between the signal lever and the gage cluster. I really don't want to pull the column apart unless I'm certain what the problem is.

Old 11-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Franklin2
If I tilt the steering wheel up then it will work, but when I tilt it back down then it doesn't work.
That makes it pretty obvious it is in the column. I think I would go in with the plan of checking the wiring and the wiring plug, and if nothing is found, replace the switch.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:24 PM
karlb
New User
Talking multi function switch piece of cake!

I just fixed mine. someone had tried to fix it before replaced the muti function switch and in the process damaged the socket that plugs into the back of the multi function switch. the two clips that keep it locked on were snapped off, this happens sometimes if you are too aggressive in removing these types of plugs. In addition the wires are held in the socket with some small plastic stints that allow the wire end to be pushed into the socket and not removed unless you pry the stint back while pulling on the wire or if the stint breaks which was the case here. The switch had been replaced and yet no one checked the wires inserted in the socket. 3 were missing stints leaving them loose enough to dis-connect duriing certain steering wheel movements. when I tried to get a harness all that is offered is, what you had done... a pig tail. which means cutting the wires and adding in the "pigtail". I chose to fix the socket and not cut the wires. with some glue,silicone and robbing stints from the bare terminals in the socket, I was able to repair the harness and socket, all is fine now. with the black rtv in place to prevent the stints from ever breaking or falling out again. The rocking motion from the tilt wheel puts quite a stress on the harness. I wonder if your wires have pulled apart where joined or maybe your socket needs to be looked at real close. I dropped the whole column as assembled. it is VERY easy and would offer that as a suggestion to look at the whole assembly to see what is going on. remove the lower dash panel under the steering wheel and you will see that four studs are what retain the steering column. there is plenty of play to drop this down to reveal the harness as attache to the top of the column. Be sure to disconnect battery before you do this. I have heard the air bag could blow! also if you have not replaced the multi function switch already! now would be a great time to take it apart and clean it or put in a new one. good luck from now my blinkers work great!

Old 04-05-2006, 11:01 PM
brian_06328
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I just had a similar problem, my left signal stopped working in my '98 Explorer. It was clicking but no lights were flashing, either on the dash or the left signals. I found it to be really easy to replace and put in a spare my dad had for his '95 Explorer, but he replaced that one because the left lane change (half pull) doesn't work.

I plan on taking my switch apart and cleaning it in hopes that will fix it. I'm hesitant to get one out of a junk yard if there is an ongoing reliability problem with them.

Does anyone know a) what it costs at a dealer just for the switch, or b) any other source for switches that may be cheaper. Thanks