6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

JP8 / JetA fuel in a 6.0???

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 03:36 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
JP8 / JetA fuel in a 6.0???

Is it okay to use Jet fuel such as JP8 and Jet A fuels in a 6.0. It seems that it should be okay to do, and maybe even offer some benefit as they are refined diesel fuels. Any of you diesel lords out there have any input?

Old 05-28-2005, 08:00 PM
marspec
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know about now but way back when in Vietnam we used JP-5 in our marine diesels but put some lube oil in the fuel tanks as it didn't have the lubrication properties necessary for the injectors and pumps.

Old 05-28-2005, 08:56 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks marspec, I didn't consider the lubrisity. I had heard years ago that using jet fuel would work fine and actually increase performance but had never seen any proof of any kind. Maybe the new diesel engines are more critical on fuel I suppose. I am in contact with someone who is trying to get rid of 150 gallons of jet fuel, unsure which type, but think it is JP8. Thought it might be interesting to use in the 6.0 and see if it does good stuff. Sounds like it might be a bad idea though unless one knew how to formulate it for certain protections. Warranty could be an issue as well eh?

Old 05-28-2005, 09:19 PM
kermit
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
we use the same fuel(JP-8) in our airplanes as we do in our ground support equipment, with not problems that i have ever heard of,...if there were too many problems, i cant think the navy would still use it.

Old 05-29-2005, 03:21 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
In my time in the Marine Corps, we used the same JP-5 in the Detroits (generators, hydraulic test stands) as we did in the jets (F-18 Hornets). I never heard of one having any problems b/c of it, but that doesn't mean there were none. It is a little less lubricating, especially the JP-8. I don't know if the 6.0 will like it, it is very fuel sensitive as it is, good luck if you try it.

Old 05-29-2005, 03:39 PM
97TexasAggie
Senior User
I know that the Army uses JP-8 exclusively now (with few exceptions). We use it in everything from HMMWVs, to generators, to tracked vehicles, to stoves. I always wanted to see how it would work in the 6.0 considering I had 7 2500 gal tankers in the motorpool full of it. Do a search for JP8 and you'll find more than you wanted to know....except how it will run in a 6.0

Old 05-29-2005, 03:41 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
Beware of the fuzz, it's probably a worse fine than running red "tax free" fuel.

Old 05-30-2005, 09:17 AM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if lube is of concern, add some B-100 Bio- diesel to it. Then you would have JP8B-5(percentage of B-100). it could be code named "flying munchies"

Old 05-30-2005, 09:51 AM
rotormech
Junior User
I ran Jet A-1 in my 6.0 for 9 months and had no problems. The truck seemed to like it better. I ran a 2-1 mix, 2 gallons diesel to 1 gallon jet. It should be noted that Jet A-1 has less heat energy per gallon than diesel, so one will so a performance decrease when running straight Jet. I had one guy that I worked with run straight Jet in his 7.3 and he turned up the pump pressure to get his power back.

Old 05-30-2005, 10:52 AM
wolffee
Elder User
I dont know i would love to hear the results.. I am kinda naieve in this area. i have a question though.. I live out by the everglades in south FL, and i frequent the glades with my buddies and they are running air boats and they run aviation fuel they call it..how is that compared to what your talking. Could this be run as well. what is the cost of the fuel? is it worth it.
Ryan

Old 05-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Dieselhound
Senior User
The fuel you are talking about is probably 100 LL aviation gasoline. It is similar to premium gasoline, except with some added lead and lower vapor pressure so it won't evaporate as easily. It must not be run in a diesel because for all practical purposes it is like gasoline and not like diesel. Jet fuel is more like diesel because it has roughly the same boiling range.

Old 05-30-2005, 01:27 PM
wolffee
Elder User
Ok so how much is Jet Fuel and would it be a benefit to run it. Its not exactly available at your local startion. So unless you have access to it on a regular basis it seems like it could be a real pain in the butt to even get.. So that being said what do you think the adavantages would be of running it in our 6.0's if any and how much is it, like per gallon..

ryan

Old 05-30-2005, 04:46 PM
sandpic
Freshman User
Jet A is alittle less than $4.50 per gallon. What you would have to watch out for is the additive that is sometimes premixed in the fuel to stop water in the fuel from freezing in the fuel lines. Very critical for aircraft!!! The name of one manufacturer is prist. Now if I'm not mistaken it does raise combustion temperatures but how much I'm not sure. I have access to Jet A and have used it on occassion, not much maybe 5 to 10 gallons here and there, with no adverse affects.

Rob

Old 05-30-2005, 05:38 PM
wolffee
Elder User
Ok no adverse affects. But what are the advantages. You say it raises the combustion temp so maybe a hair more power? but holy geee 4.5 a gallon it would cost about 130plus bucks to fill my 29gal tank, Is it worth this.,When you ran those 5 gallons here and there did you notice any difference in performance that would warrent 4.50 a gal or not even performance. is there an Advantage to maybe longevity or maintenance. for that price. Kinda like it is when using a good oil.?

ryan

thanks for the answers just interested in this but know not much...

Old 05-30-2005, 07:16 PM
sandpic
Freshman User
If there was any gains I really did not notice them. I used Jet A without the additive (you have to drain about 5 to 10 gallons from a sump drain on each fuel truck to check for water in the tanks, very rare). It is free for me, thats why I tried it. Then I came to FTE and got freaked out about this engine and stopped doing it. Free fuel or possible new motor? Trust me it is a hard decision. I would definitely not pay for iteven if there was alittle gain, cost outways the gain for sure. Hope this helps.
Rob

Quick Reply: JP8 / JetA fuel in a 6.0???