2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suburban tried to eat my Ford

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 10:28 PM
MommysCrew
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suburban tried to eat my Ford

Hubby came home and the rear bumper is pushed in on both sides and has a ripped hole about 5 to 6 inches long on one side. No air bags deployed. I guess I'll find out later what the frame and hitch took. The other truck had a light bar/front guard that basically pivoted back into the front end; all the grill was smashed and whatever is behind it, and the hood was buckled.

I am thankful that hubby and kids are completely alright. I'm glad they were in the truck.

Old 05-27-2005, 10:43 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I take it the 'burb hit him from the rear?

I, too, am thankful that your family is okay. Wrecks are stressful situations! Injuries make them so much worse...to say the least.

Old 05-27-2005, 11:44 PM
MommysCrew
Junior User
Yes, it was a hit from the rear.

I put a new gallery sec up called "damage". Now that I'm over "everybody's okay phase", I'm worried about the frame. The bumper was pushed in and down overall. The right side got ripped but the left side went in further. One photo (taken in the dark, sorry), shows the bumper from below on the left hand side, looking upwards and towards the side of the hitch.
Another shows the ripped right side bumper.
And another shows a peek under rear fender well at what appears to be evidence of recent movement.

Comments and questions welcomed.

Old 05-28-2005, 08:02 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad everyone is ok. Looking at the pictures, it appears it came out relatively unscathed. Those offset bolts are what bolt the upper part of your hitch on (its a big ***** on these trucks). Those bolts must sit in the channel (As seen to the left of the bolts), and when impacted, slid deeper into that channel, and somewhat upward. It appears the hitch took all the damage. Have you taken a look at the frame? Notice any buckling? These frames are very strong. What does the tailgate look like. Any rippling in the bed sides?

Old 05-28-2005, 09:40 AM
MommysCrew
Junior User
Thanks WheelMa1.

In the light of the day, I see no frame buckling or body ripples. The tailgate operates the same. It looks like the bumper has kinda been reformed to match the contours of the hitch. Now that the hitch has moved, will it need to be moved back? Both sides moved, but the offsets on drivers side look slightly larger.

Old 05-28-2005, 09:46 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, but the hitch might be damaged to the point where it cannot be reused. I would unbolt it, and see if its still "true" (both sides line up, no warpage, etc). Using a simple straight edge should help determine this. If it were me, I would spring for a new hitch. Even though it might look true after all, the metal has undergone some stress, and *could* fail somewhere down the line, hopefully when nothing is in tow.