2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods Strategy list - PLEASE could use your feedback!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 04:19 PM
HotLap
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods Strategy list - PLEASE could use your feedback!

I just purchased a new F-150 Screw 4x4 Lariat. It is solid black with the 18" wheels and the Tan leather interior. I'm going to use it to carry my sportbike and mostly around town with the g-friend. My goal with mods is to "free up" potential hp - but not at the cost of longevity or drive-a-bility. I like a bit more agressive exhaust (IF it doesn't hurt performance/no drone). Having said that - please take a look at what I have learned (my 1st few days on this most excellent forum) and comment about my intended mods list below and on what's misssing or what I may be misunderstanding.

Planned Performance mods Level I:

1) AirRaid or AF1 Intake (+20rwhp & 50lbs torque) - NO tune required
2) Underdrive pullies - worth it on the 5.4L 3V engine???
3) Exhaust - Magnaflow SIDO (Lightning stlye)
4) Leveling kit - really just want to add 1 - 1.5" in front body height

Planned Performance Mods Level II:
1) Custom Tune
2) Larger Throttle body (even worth the $$'s)
3) Larger MAF - worth it??

Old 05-25-2005, 02:19 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by HotLap
1) AirRaid or AF1 Intake (+20rwhp & 50lbs torque) - NO tune required
I find that very hard to believe. Did those companies actually publish those numbers?? ...shame on them...

I would start with the intake and exhaust. Not too sure 'bout the underdrive pulleys and if they are even available or worth it.

I would then get e tuner or a custom chip..although I think made it harder to add chips to the PCM in these trucks. Not sure...best bet would be the chip forum.

I believe a lot of the other "add-ons" would be a waste of money for the street. ('cept the leveling kit, of course.) JMHO.

Old 05-25-2005, 03:16 AM
upholsterynoah
Freshman User
First off, I got a lot of compliments on my Magnaflow exhaust, and most importantly, it works great! My friend had a Gibson, and said he didn't like it too much- too quiet and not responsive enough. I installed a MAC "Straight-shot" intake and that really helped the horsepower. I also installed an Airraide throttle body spacer, but to be honest, it really makes an irritating screech instead of a "Whistle" they claim. It works good though when you open up the throttle. Majority of the improvements came when I installed the Diablo tuner. I swear by this programmer!!!! It works- I don't care what anyone says about the competition, after a few "Tweeks" with the programming, the truck will pull anything, anywhere, and fast! I have a 2 wheel drive 2004 Lariat Screw with the 5.4 3v. and 3.73 L/S gearing. I lowered my truck with a 3/5 drop and am running 22"x9.5" rims (305/45/r22). This past Saturday, I raced a Silverado SS with paper plates and stretched him about 10 car lengths in about 30 seconds. This set-up I have seems to work pretty good. Now I'm trying to look for a Hemi for more game!!!!!!hahahahaha....
P.S.- I bought the Diablo from motorhaven, but at the time I put my truck together, they didn't have the MAC intake, so I bought it from rpm outlet.com- I highly recommend checking motorhaven first- their service is superb! (thanks Jason.)

Old 05-25-2005, 09:49 AM
HotLap
Senior User
Thanks guys for the feedback and links!! Boy am I glad I waited to learn a bit more about these various mods B4 purchasing!

After reading your responses - I'm leaning towards the AF1 intake, with a Diablo Tune and the Magnaflow "Lightning" style exhaust.....and of course the leveling kit.

This forum is a great help and I appreciate all of those who are helping "school" me in the world of trucks....by the way did I mention that I really DIG my fiddy