2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TELL ME IT's TRUE??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 03:44 PM
HotLap
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking TELL ME IT's TRUE??????

I believe I have my air intake choice narrowed down to two: AirRaid or Air Force One.....(any other proven, no tune required) air intake I'm misssing?

Anyway, I can't quite believe what the AirRaid rep told me. He said that the AirRaid is dyno proven, on an otherwise stock F-150 3V V8, for the following increases: +22rwhp and +50lbs torque?? WITH NO TUNE REQUIRED and the engine will not be throwing CEL codes......can someone with the AirRaid or AF1 please verify this - if true - I'm ordering one tonight!!

Lucky F-150 owners (if above is accurate) - with the '05 GT Mustang - you HAVE to run a custom tune with the CAI as the Ford ECU cannot adjust it's parameters enough to prevent a lean a/f mixture and throwing CEL codes.........

Old 05-24-2005, 05:18 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
I don't believe it for a second. Every test I've read says the mileage and power goes down..the only thing that goes up is the noise level.

Old 05-24-2005, 06:42 PM
HotLap
Senior User
Originally Posted by Biggziff
I don't believe it for a second. Every test I've read says the mileage and power goes down..the only thing that goes up is the noise level.
Interesting......with my '05 Mustang GT the hp & torque did increase - but you had to run a tune....so you are thinking the CAI on the 5.4 3V is not really worth much added hp/torque at all?

Old 05-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Doesn't seem to be any real data to prove it out. I bought a Diablo tuner for mine..there is real data that these help.

Old 05-25-2005, 02:17 AM
64f10
Senior User
Well ... I recently put the AF1 on my truck and can certainly feel a difference without changing tune from 87 octane. Yes I have a tuner ... but currently set to only compensate for the gears.

The narrowed down 2 choices are good ones in my book. I don't think anybody can tell a difference in felt power between the two. AirRaid is proven for a longer time with widespread usage as AF1 is just now starting to get delivered to people that have been waiting months to receive.

Old 05-25-2005, 07:54 AM
JohnnyBoy
Senior User
I am going with the True Flow kit that only replaces the tubing and filter. If nothing else, it looks better. Any thoughts on this selection? ANd I dont want to have to change the programming either.

Old 05-25-2005, 09:13 AM
whiterod
New User
hot lap,

I tell you what, if a ford engineer left that much power & torque on the table, someone will be losing their job. Don't believe the hype. I think it gives gains but i wouldn't expect nothing more than 10hp & 5 ft/lbs max.

brian

Old 05-25-2005, 09:37 AM
HotLap
Senior User
Thanks eveyone for the feedback...interesting comments.....makes me wonder what the folks at AirRaid are talking about by claiming such large gains.....would be easy to prove/disprove....anyone been to the dyno with this mod yet?

On my '05 GT Mustang with the 4.6 3v (same heads) what we are finding is that a tune alone (91 octane) will get you some gains (approx. 10rwhp) but when a high flow intake is added the gains are quite dramatic...in the range of 25rwhp gains with the tune/CAI combo. Many of the members have dyno'd and posted slips to prove the increase. I personally have the JLT/SCTExcalibrator set up and it is a HUGH difference over the stock intake with no tune.

Back to reality with the 5.4 though - it just seems to good to be true that you could add the amount of hp that they are claiming (which would indicate an much improved air flow) with out triggering CEL's for a "lean" condition.....unless the F-150 ECU can compensate better than the GT ECU can compensate for free'r flowing intake which I doubt - but am new to the F-150 world and perhaps their ECU's are more forgiving???

Old 05-25-2005, 09:40 AM
HotLap
Senior User
Originally Posted by Biggziff
Doesn't seem to be any real data to prove it out. I bought a Diablo tuner for mine..there is real data that these help.
Hey BZ - too bad you can't borrow an intake from someone and temp install - just to see what the combo of Tune with vs Tune w/o intake feels like.....would be curious to see if the 5.4 3V would react like the Mustang's are with the CAI/Tune combo.

Old 05-25-2005, 09:53 AM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
Don't expect big peak torque gains, but there will be some extra HP at the high end, but 22 RWHP is very optimistic. 5-10 is probably more in the ballpark.
Interesting Article About CAI's

Old 05-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HotLap
Hey BZ - too bad you can't borrow an intake from someone and temp install - just to see what the combo of Tune with vs Tune w/o intake feels like.....would be curious to see if the 5.4 3V would react like the Mustang's are with the CAI/Tune combo.
True..but enough guys on here and other F150 forums have installed them and no one has had much to report. They all complain about the in-cabin intake noise though...

Like others have said, if Ford left 22rwhp (something like 40-50 at the crank) on the table, then they're doing a crappy job at this game. I can see a little increase at WOT if you've also installed a free flowing exhaust, but everything has it's price

Old 05-25-2005, 12:36 PM
BruceFX4
Senior User
I can believe that Ford left a substantial amount of power untapped. First any production vehicle is a compromise. Not every F150 buyer cares about maximum power; some want smooth and quiet. Federal regulations have noise limits that affect intake and exhaust and who knows what else. If an example is needed, check out the Mustang Cobra. There were many posts on how just removing a restrictor, needed to keep noise down, in the intake tract added significant ( not positive but seem to remember 20hp) at the rear wheels. ( yes I know they are blown etc, but on Ford's hot rod they did leave alot on the table).

Old 05-25-2005, 01:22 PM
HotLap
Senior User
Originally Posted by BruceFX4
I can believe that Ford left a substantial amount of power untapped. First any production vehicle is a compromise. Not every F150 buyer cares about maximum power; some want smooth and quiet. Federal regulations have noise limits that affect intake and exhaust and who knows what else. If an example is needed, check out the Mustang Cobra. There were many posts on how just removing a restrictor, needed to keep noise down, in the intake tract added significant ( not positive but seem to remember 20hp) at the rear wheels. ( yes I know they are blown etc, but on Ford's hot rod they did leave alot on the table).
Bruce - I tend to agree with you - just given the intake tube of my new truck...it has several harmonic sound chambers to run quieter - but for pure performance a straight pipe is better. Also, that's why we can get the Diablo / SCT and feel the gain - Ford has the stock engine parameters set conservative - so as to be able to run on regular fuel and I belive MOST important - to reduce warranty claims for engine issues....can't say I blame Ford - but there usually is some hp just waiting to be freed up with Tunes/free'r flowing intake and exhaust....

My '01 Lincoln LS V8 Sport had the same type of intake (couldn't even hear if the engine was running) I added an aftermarket DPG intake and it added (dyno tested) 15rwhp - then adding the Magnaflow exhaust added about that much again....in IMO - the car sounded much more like a performace engine (which it was) and was a lot more fun to drive with the extra hp and being able to hear the engine!

For the record what is the difference between the '04 2v 5.4 and the '05 3v 5.4....any claimed increase in hp or torque with the extra intake valve?

Old 05-31-2005, 07:58 PM
mlawdawg
Junior User
I thinks its fair to say that if they had such real numbers, they would publish them, and I'd buy one.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:15 PM
one04fx4
New User
Talking

ive always taken power numbers on mods and subtracted around 55 to 60% of there claims and figuered that was the truth. mainly if they say 22 it is around 11. and 50 torque is around 22 to 25. even that is a figure i cant believe in.

Quick Reply: TELL ME IT's TRUE??????