Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
C94's had some issues...the new ones, overall do not...that being the 95's

Old 05-24-2005, 03:05 PM
LOOnatic
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thats my point Tim.
If Ford happened to do their biodiesel testing in 03 with C94 injectors and concluded that the fuel made injectors fail IMO that doesn't prove anything because we all know C94's had issues regardless.
Not all but many it seems.

Old 05-24-2005, 07:32 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The injectors fail at the tip because of the deposits left from the soy oil. Soy oil in its pure from is a solvent thats why it will cause problems with older equipment.If you start useing soy in a newer truck it will actually clean the system and thats why there is problems with the filters clogging. Yes I run the B2 soy and am very pleased with the way it performs.The engine is quiet allmost to the point you don't hear it running going down the road.Fuel mileage has improved and seems to have more power pulling a load on a hill(doesn't down shift like it did before soy)My dad has an 01 7.3 with 176k on it and been useing it with no problems . The only problem is cost and its not really a problem . I get it delivered with the Amoco Premier clear diesel mixed with B2 soy 300 gals at a time for $2.21 gal.Thats not really a problem because I don't mind spending the extra money for something that improves mileage and cuts down the service expense. I never stated I was for or aginst bio-diesel because I didn't want it to look like I was just preching about something I use. It allways gets my crawl when someone talks about something they know little about or have tried and act like they are the authority on it. If your intrested in bio-diesel all I can say is try it . At B2 or B5 is a very safe level to start with and will NOT void your warranty.Bio-diesel can be soy from soy beans or any vegetable oil including peanuts.I could not find any info on Ford testing it only from companys useing it at B100 and finding the injector problem on some trucks. I do know of some guys running B100 with no problem as to date. The other side to this is the used cooking oil but needs to be heated before it can be used and requires more equipment to do that but its usually free from quick food places wanting to get rid of it. I didn't look into that because I really didn't want to get into it.Soy was just easier for me because I can get it delivered and don't need anything special to use it.

Thanks Matt

Old 05-24-2005, 08:16 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Excellent statement firesoutmatt. I totally agree. I started this string to inform people that the cost of soydiesel (biodiesel) has came down NOT to start something.

Old 05-24-2005, 08:54 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Biodiesel, and that rebate sound great, but it seems like it's going to take a while for them to build-up retail locations. The nearest location I can find to El Paso, TX is Albuquerque,NM. If it was sold closer I'd use it.

Old 05-24-2005, 10:31 PM
3/4ER
Elder User
I'll have those fuzzy dice off my rearview mirror in a heart beat if need be!

Originally Posted by firesoutmatt
Ford doesn't recommend mods but you have a ton of them ?

Old 05-24-2005, 10:36 PM
3/4ER
Elder User
Legumes (peanuts) are vegetable, not nuts.

Originally Posted by LOOnatic
Thanks Matt for sharing what you know.
What's slightly odd is that injectors fail "a few" 6.0's including models that have never run biodiesel so i', not sure what point that validates?
I'm not sure if you support the use of biodiesel or not by your post.

I stated that early diesels ran off vegetable oil but you clarified peanuts as the source.
Are peanuts a vegetable?

Anyway, do you know if Ford was using the same source for B100 in their tests?

Old 05-25-2005, 10:00 AM
rhenriksen
Freshman User
I keep checking for a B5 biodiesel source in Houston, no luck yet. I'm not up for driving 30 miles out of my way to get B100 in a jug & blending it myself.

Old 05-25-2005, 02:51 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
There are a couple distributors in Houston. Did you go to Biodiesel.org and check for dist. and retailers ?

Old 05-25-2005, 02:58 PM
rhenriksen
Freshman User
Yup - only one retailer, and Chris is the fellow selling B100 into jugs.

Old 05-25-2005, 06:55 PM
BaldGuy
New User
This post will likely be the equivelent of squirting lighter fluid on an open flame, but here goes. Started using B5 about 3 months ago. After about 3-4 tanks of B5 I went up to B20 for ONE tank in my '05 6.0 and my fuel mileage went from about 13.5 mpg ave to less than 10.0 mpg ave. No, that is not a typo. Yes, I have been to Ford several times. Unfortunately, I went against my better judgment and told them up front that I had run B5 (didn't mention the B20). They wouldn't even look at the truck. Yeah, they kept it for a few hours, but when they called me back all I got was "You can't use Bio-diesel in these trucks. It's really bad." Very helpful, huh?

I realize that it could have been a complete coinsidence. I have complete confidence in the fuel supplier (Western States Petroleum in Phoenix - pure virgin bio-diesel that meets all the ASTM standards that Ford requires) so I don't think I got a bad batch. The truck has about 11,000 miles on it now and I have no idea what to do. I'm a huge advocate of bio-diesel. I spent a lot of time researching before ever using it and I still believe it's a great alternative, but not in my truck. My truck has never run the same since using bio. I've tried all of the fuel conditioners and injector cleaners trying to get it to run like it did before the bio, nothing has worked. I'm having the fuel filter changed this week, maybe that will help.

Don't mean to upset people here, just wanted to make sure that my experience (however obscure it might be) was documented. I always read though the "average MPG" post on this forum in envy because I've never seen the kind of numbers that you guys are reporting (I've had both the '03 7.3l and '05 6.0). Now I'm barely in the double digits.

On a happier note, my wife's '05 Jeep Liberty CRD loves B20 and gets close to 20 mpg in the city.

Old 05-25-2005, 07:41 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Yes the bio at any level "cleans" out your fuel system. After the second tankfull everything that was in the bottom of the fuel tank is now in the fuel filter. Even on my semi and farm tractors I had to change them after the 2nd or 3rd fill. But if you look in the fuel tank (if you can) I noticed it was just like new on the inside. Some of these tractors we have are pushing 40 years old with over 7000 hrs on the engine, so you can imagine what was in the bottom of the tank.

Old 05-25-2005, 08:17 PM
LOOnatic
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow Baldguy i'm not happy to here of your situation.
I have had no troubles and have run many tanks from B20 to B100(less often b\c the price).
Anyway, my 1st answer to someone usually would be to change the fuel filter as BD does tend to scrub out pertroleum.
Because you have so low miles i'm not so sure???

Curious now if filter change will improve anything.
Report back please.

Old 05-25-2005, 08:22 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BaldGuy
This post will likely be the equivelent of squirting lighter fluid on an open flame, but here goes. Started using B5 about 3 months ago. After about 3-4 tanks of B5 I went up to B20 for ONE tank in my '05 6.0 and my fuel mileage went from about 13.5 mpg ave to less than 10.0 mpg ave. No, that is not a typo. Yes, I have been to Ford several times. Unfortunately, I went against my better judgment and told them up front that I had run B5 (didn't mention the B20). They wouldn't even look at the truck. Yeah, they kept it for a few hours, but when they called me back all I got was "You can't use Bio-diesel in these trucks. It's really bad." Very helpful, huh?

I realize that it could have been a complete coinsidence. I have complete confidence in the fuel supplier (Western States Petroleum in Phoenix - pure virgin bio-diesel that meets all the ASTM standards that Ford requires) so I don't think I got a bad batch. The truck has about 11,000 miles on it now and I have no idea what to do. I'm a huge advocate of bio-diesel. I spent a lot of time researching before ever using it and I still believe it's a great alternative, but not in my truck. My truck has never run the same since using bio. I've tried all of the fuel conditioners and injector cleaners trying to get it to run like it did before the bio, nothing has worked. I'm having the fuel filter changed this week, maybe that will help.

Don't mean to upset people here, just wanted to make sure that my experience (however obscure it might be) was documented. I always read though the "average MPG" post on this forum in envy because I've never seen the kind of numbers that you guys are reporting (I've had both the '03 7.3l and '05 6.0). Now I'm barely in the double digits.

On a happier note, my wife's '05 Jeep Liberty CRD loves B20 and gets close to 20 mpg in the city.
I would be very intrested in what happen. I've used the bio-diesel now for 6 tanks and got better mileage with my 05. You will be the first 05 useing bio that had a bad reaction to it (if thats what it is ) You know the dealer would use any excuse to not fix it so it will be interesting what actually caused your mileage drop. Keep us posted on the outcome and let us know if the filter helps at all.

Also did mileage improve with the B5 or was it just switching to the B20 when you had a problem ?

Old 05-25-2005, 09:40 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Well heres a story for you. Jeep Liberty comes factory filled with B5 . If they will do it others will follow. I've heard the John Deere comes factory filled with Bio-Diesel but don't know the % I'm still tracking that one down. The USDA uses B20 in all their diesel powered vech. for the last 4 yrs .

Last edited by firesoutmatt; 05-25-2005 at 09:44 PM.

Quick Reply: biodiesel rebate