Sponsored by:

Has anyone replaced the steering shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 06:07 PM
adelyser
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone replaced the steering shaft?

While checking out some issues with my Bronco, my steering shaft between the steering box and the steering wheel has a lot of slack in the slip joint. I can pull on the shaft, and the joint moves a good bit. There's also quite a lot of slack in the slip joint when rotating it.

Has anyone replaced theirs before, and what did you do? Should I start looking in the boneyards, or is there an aftermarket unit that is stronger, or maybe even just a replacement?

Thanks for any info provided.

Old 05-19-2005, 09:24 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
there are 2 aftermarket shafts but expect to pay over $200 easy. ones Borgesson (spelling) and the other is Flaming river. you could probably go to ford or a parts store and just get a stock replacement and be fine. I wouldnt get one from a bone yard because its probably worn out already like yours. i to need mine swapped out but havent priced them out. Let me know what you find out.

GL

Old 05-19-2005, 06:14 PM
skelator84
Senior User
I replaced the steering shaft in my 84 bronc with one out of my old 86 f150 and it worked just fine, aactually i swapped out the entire column because the bronc came with tilt and some one had broken it and if you lifted it up it would not lock in place. the column out of the truck was a straight shaft and it was very easy to just swap out columns. all you have to do is un bolt if from the firewall, unhook the wiring harness and take the shift linkage loose from the column and last but not least take the bolt out of the steering shaft. and the install is the opposite.

Old 05-20-2005, 07:28 AM
Streetgang
Elder User
I know on my year Bronco they used a "rag joint". Right now the entire shaft is tight, but at the first sign of play in the rag joint I am replacing the shaft with a Borgeson unit, or rag joint replacement that Borgeson sells since 99% of the time the play in the shaft is from a tired rag joint.

I would contact these guys.......they will help you out for sure, and their product is very very good.....and also their price reflects it.
http://www.borgeson.com/TruckProductFord.htm
This web page dont list the one for my 93, but I have heard you need to call them for a vehicle specific application.

Let us know how you make out!

Old 05-20-2005, 10:28 AM
adelyser
Elder User
Thanks for the info. I'll probably skip the junkyard and get the borgeson unit, as I plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time, plus I'm always in favor of stronger parts! I don't think mine has a rag joint, but I know the slop is in the shaft slip joint, not the u-joints. When I get my pickup back on the road, I'll tear into it and find out the best fix.

Old 05-20-2005, 10:48 AM
jem270
Senior User
What is a rag joint?

Old 05-20-2005, 11:01 AM
jem270
Senior User
Never mind. I went to the borgeson website and saw it. I'll have to look at my 88 to see what I have.