Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Truck bed rail protector??????????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 12:50 PM
Dakrri
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck bed rail protector??????????????

Can any one tell me where I can get a good buy on some new black plastic Bed Rail protectors? I also need the piece for the top of the tailgate. I have a 1999 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab with an 8-foot box. The websites I’m searching only goes to 1998. I’d actually like them in White if I could find them. I have a white truck with white topper and would like the bed rails to blend.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Thanks

<o></o>

Dakrri

Old 05-18-2005, 08:50 PM
vancouverpower
Elder User
I'm gonna guess that's a dealer only item. The reason you can get them for the 98 and earlier is because the 99+ has a unfinished bed under the plastic. If you pop the rails off they look like the under side of a hood or the back side of a tailgate, if that makes sense. If you want white you will need to get em' painted.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:27 AM
Dakrri
Senior User
You’re absolutely right about the unfinished paint job and they also cut slits in the metal truck box and tailgate for the rails to fastento.Another engineering “achievement” of the automotive industry!!

I bought the Herculiner bed liner kit and wanted to do cover the bed and the top rails. Well let me warn everyone, that if you remove the top rails and tailgate (top) protector, you will have opened a can of worms. As I pulled off the plastic rails all the fasteners broke off, so now, the old ones can't be reinstalled. Looks like hell! I’ll look this weekend on the internet and if I can find rails, if not I’ll go to the dealership.

Thanks

Dakrri

Old 05-19-2005, 08:34 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
How about pull it all off and get a Rhino-liner?

Old 05-19-2005, 07:05 PM
Dakrri
Senior User
Kwikkordead...thanks for the idea…..but?

Is that Rhino-liner a spray in liner? If it is, it won’t cover up the factory slits that are cut into the top of the truck bed.

The top of the bed/rail and tailgate look like this = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = and the factory rails fastened into those slits. I do plan on rolling/putting in a Herculiner myself in the actual bed and tailgate.

Thanks

dakrri

Old 05-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakrri
Kwikkordead...thanks for the idea…..but?

Is that Rhino-liner a spray in liner? If it is, it won’t cover up the factory slits that are cut into the top of the truck bed.

The top of the bed/rail and tailgate look like this = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = and the factory rails fastened into those slits. I do plan on rolling/putting in a Herculiner myself in the actual bed and tailgate.

Thanks

dakrri
I assume they spray it in, never had it done to any of my trucks, I always bought them used and they had bed liners or other things already installed.
Some of the Rhino liners that I have looked at are quite thick and I would imagine that the application of same would fill the slots nicely. If not maybe just fill them with body filler (Bondo) before you spray.

Old 05-20-2005, 07:49 AM
cangim
Postmaster
You probably could tack weld some small pieces to fill in the slots then spray. But as far as the caps and tailgate go, they are a Dealer only thing, I just replaced my Tailgate cap, wasn't impressed as no the lines don't match up with the bed caps because they changed the style of the bed cap in 2000.

Old 05-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Dakrri
Senior User
I thinking of just laying down that thin foam adhesive that the topper-dealers put on the rail when you buy a cap. I plan on leaving the cap on 99% of the time anyhow. Then I will only need the tailgate cover/cap.

I’ll let you guy’s know later this summer how the roll on Hurculiner worked out on the inside of the bed.

Dam email was “down” at work…how’s a guy suppose to have fun on a Friday!!!

Thanks again

dakrri