Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > General Automotive Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

General Automotive Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2005, 08:10 PM
Freshman User

Thornido is starting off with a positive reputation.
Windstar O2 sensor replacement, which side bank 2?

Since my Windstar isn't a truck I thought I'd ask in this forum. Which side is bank 2? I'm replacing an Heated Oxygen Sensor. I had the codes pulled, but I can't find which bank is 1 and which is 2. I finally found a Haynes Manual and it doesn't say. That is one hard to find manual. Anyway, hope it's a simple enough question.
2000 Ford Windstar 3.8L
Thanks
Old 05-16-2005, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Racerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to beholdRacerguy is a splendid one to behold
Bank 2 is the left or front bank on a BreakWindstar.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:45 AM
Senior User

F150'89 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bank one would be the side of the engine that the #1 cylinder is on, bank two would be the other side.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Posting Guru

AlfredB1979 is starting off with a positive reputation.
This (should) goes without saying, but hope you have tested your sensor for proper operation before you toss one out because of a code.

The O2 sensor really only goes bad due to age and the crud that accumulates on it over time.

Basically, we don't care for you to pay for a sensor when giviing us the code to pick at may diagnose a bad fuel pump because the O2 isn't puckup up a high enough fuel mix from the exhaust....
Old 05-17-2005, 02:40 PM
Elder User

Roushians is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979
This (should) goes without saying, but hope you have tested your sensor for proper operation before you toss one out because of a code.

The O2 sensor really only goes bad due to age and the crud that accumulates on it over time.

Basically, we don't care for you to pay for a sensor when giviing us the code to pick at may diagnose a bad fuel pump because the O2 isn't puckup up a high enough fuel mix from the exhaust....

How do you easily connect your multi-meter to the O2 sensor for testing? The O2 sensor's power leads must be connected for testing, yet you need to tap into the wire to test it.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Post Fiend

pfogle has a good reputation on FTE.pfogle has a good reputation on FTE.pfogle has a good reputation on FTE.
patfogle DaPocky
When in doubt replace it. Chances are if it's setting a code it's shot anyway. These newer cars and truck are a lot better at diagnosing themselves than the older ones.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Freshman User

Thornido is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for all the info. I replaced the front ( left side since the engine is in there sideways), O2S, cleared the codes and and it's running real nice. Since another trouble code hasn't shown up yet, I figure I'm in the clear in that department until the other O2 sensors start going. I'll just replace 'em as they go out. Fortunately all four are pretty accessible. I haven't tossed the old O2S out yet, I figure i'll test it to make sure. First things last, I know Bass Ackwards.
Thanks.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:40 PM