1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

super chips tuner and saggy transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 07:35 PM
voodoolord
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
super chips tuner and saggy transmission?

I just got a SC 1705 tuner, when I set it to high performance and step on it it seems to sag when it shifts from first to second. After that it shifts fine. I didnt have this problem with out the tuner. Any thoughts?

Old 05-14-2005, 11:30 PM
kalsc
Tuned
Aha! Good question. I noticed this on my truck as well. I am running a Diablo flip chip and when not in stock position, it seems real tight in first, then when it goes to second it's almost as if something lets go (gets kind of soft) and then gets solid once the T/C locks up. This DOESN'T happen when in stock tuning for me either.

It would sure be nice if the tranny would hold the 'solid feel' from first to second, cause it sure wants to pull!!!!! And no, my tranny isn't bad, got less than 5,000 km's since a rebuild. :-)

Old 05-14-2005, 11:59 PM
voodoolord
Senior User
Well its good to know someone elsi is having this issue besides me. I noticed tonight that if I let off on the throttle a bit it shifts fine. It just sags when I have it floored. Would a sonnax tricumulator work for this?

Old 05-15-2005, 08:12 AM
celjel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem when I got my Diablo Sport tuner and would run on any other setting but stock. I took it to a Good tranny shop where the guy basically owns the same truck and let him tell me what he thought. He said that the sonnax valve would help it but the real fix would be a triple plate torque convertor, new high flow valve body, and new accumulator valves, shift kit, etc. So I had him just do it up right and have everything new in the whole thing and it only cost me around 2950 total. The way it shifts now and the difference that you can actually feel of the power on the ground is worth every penny spent, and I won't have to worry about replacing the tranny when I least expect it.

Old 05-15-2005, 10:51 AM
kalsc
Tuned
Voodoolord, that's exactly what I am experiencing, to a 'T'. I don't really want to throw $3000 at the issue though.

Old 05-15-2005, 11:49 AM
johnny8
Postmaster
i love my mule... and i plan to run her a long time... but.. my next mule is going to be a manual tranny.... these auto's are too much trouble...

Old 05-15-2005, 06:26 PM
voodoolord
Senior User
Well my trans just puked out every drop of trans fluid about 5600 feet up the side of a mountain. I got it about 15 miles before it would not move. I had the wife meet me with some fluid and refilled it and it held till I got home. anyone have any idea what happened this time?

Old 05-15-2005, 07:27 PM
warrens250
Senior User
Originally Posted by voodoolord
Well my trans just puked out every drop of trans fluid about 5600 feet up the side of a mountain. I got it about 15 miles before it would not move. I had the wife meet me with some fluid and refilled it and it held till I got home. anyone have any idea what happened this time?
The likely cause is working your rig hard at a low enough speed that the torque converter is not locked up. Thats not likely to happen with a bare truck unless your are going straight up the side of the mountain. you don't describe what the circumstances were.
Warren

Old 05-15-2005, 09:37 PM
voodoolord
Senior User
I was just cruising up a windy mountain road. I got to a slightly steep part and put in 4wd for just about 200 yards and parked the truck. I got out and it was like a cow pissing on a flat rock. I just jumped straight back in the truck and tried to get as close to civilization as I could. The first time that I noticed I might have a trans problem was last week on the same road I got stuck in some snow and was working the trans backward and foreward trying to get out, I saw it dripping a little then. Its coming out of the weep hole under the bell housing. That help?

Old 05-15-2005, 10:34 PM
kalsc
Tuned
Sounds like the seal in the front of the tranny where the t/c slips through.

Old 05-15-2005, 10:52 PM
voodoolord
Senior User
Is that something thats tough to fix? Is that a sign of other possible problems? Im kind of worried that I might have screwed something up my driving it without fluid, would that hurt the tranny more? Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 05-15-2005, 10:58 PM
kalsc
Tuned
No fluid means no line pressures means problems if you keep going. Back to the start, if the seal got toasted, it could be due to two primary things (or others), one, the tranny got REAL hot at one point and baked, or two something else is letting go in the tranny giving off metal particles which chewed the seal.

It's a bitch to do, you basically have to drop the tranny to get the t/c off, then pull the seal and relace with a new one. It's kind of funny because the seals are dirt cheap and it takes only a few minutes to replace the actual seal, the real bitch is the r and r on the tranny.

Anybody correct me on this incase I am off base?

Old 05-15-2005, 11:03 PM
voodoolord
Senior User
on another note im looking at bidding on these sonnax parts for the tranny but im not sure if they are the same thing. Can anyone tell me whether their the same or not?

http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

and should I put this in the tranny while its out?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Old 05-16-2005, 07:32 PM
mr_fixit
Junior User
It sounds like you were going slow and working it hard and the tranny got hot and dumped the fluid.

Old 05-16-2005, 08:54 PM
voodoolord
Senior User
nope I was just motering up a logging road. nothing to tough or steep. Not going slow just cruising.

Quick Reply: super chips tuner and saggy transmission?