looking for some input.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 08:47 AM
vlad 75
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for some input.

hello everyone, my name is mike, and i am in love with my truck.(2003 f150supercab 4.2 auto.) i am definetely putting a gibson split rear dual exhaust on this baby, as well as some headers, all stainless, i was wondering if anybody installed the gibson headers, and if they did, then were you happy with them? are they quality? also how much hp gain can i reallistically expect? oh yeah, a chip too. any info on a ready to install electric fan swap would be great too. love the site, MY TRUCK RULES!!!

Old 05-20-2005, 09:09 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Vlad. Glad to have you here at FTE and the 4.2 forum.
I've been out of town a lot, so sorry I did say "hello" sooner.
Looks like you haven't gotten any feedback on the header question.

Take a look at the thread anchored at the top of the forum. You should find some info on performance add-ons.

Glad you like your truck and hope you stick around.

Old 05-23-2005, 10:37 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by vlad 75
hello everyone, my name is mike, and i am in love with my truck.(2003 f150supercab 4.2 auto.) i am definetely putting a gibson split rear dual exhaust on this baby, as well as some headers, all stainless, i was wondering if anybody installed the gibson headers, and if they did, then were you happy with them? are they quality? also how much hp gain can i reallistically expect? oh yeah, a chip too. any info on a ready to install electric fan swap would be great too. love the site, MY TRUCK RULES!!!
Wow, can't believe I'll be one of the first to snap at this one! The Gibson exhaust is a good setup...I've heard good things about it as far as sound and power.

Dude, the BEST headers to put (of course in my opinion) are the MAC headers. They are the cheapest and most efficient headers...you can't beat equal length, ceramic coated shorties for a V6 for under $300 a set. HP gains would be in the 5-10 rwhp range. Keep in mind, headers will give you more power with more mods...kind of a rule of thumb.

Now then, electric fans I don't totally understand because I've never really dived into them, but they will give you more power than the headers and exhaust. Actually, they "free up" horsepower as I should say. Dual 16" fans with a bunch of other crap I'm not sure about will do the trick...they need to flow at least to a certain CFM, but I don't remember what. I'm sure someone here knows.

Chips, chips, chips...if I were you, I'd wait till I got the other mods first before you get the chip...that way you won't have to re-tune ($$$) for the fans. Diablo chips are great, but you have to pay for premium gas for the best performance efficiency. If you want to pay a little more, get a tuner from Ken @ MotorHaven.com. He's actually the expert on chips/tuners for our trucks.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:29 AM
vlad 75
New User
thanks for the reply, i think i will be going with the mac headers, i seem to remember on a previos post that someone mentioned some clearance issues with the dipstick, but i think i'll just call mac though. i believe they are equal length. i'm shooting for the end of june to be done with this first round of mods, maybe mid july. hopefully i will have some pics of everything when it is done, thanks again true.

Old 05-24-2005, 02:53 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've got the MAC shorties on the way. I can't wait!

Old 05-31-2005, 09:39 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 4.2manster
i've got the MAC shorties on the way. I can't wait!
...which brings us to the only real problem with the MAC headers...they take forever to get to you because they make them for you when you order them, not before...usually. Expect to wait at least 2 months if they aren't on back order.