2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some help

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 08:30 PM
gregbj33
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some help

hey guys,
while picking up a silverstar bulb for my fog lights(yes one already died), i decided to grab a two pack of h13 xv's for my head lights. my question even though may sound stupid, how do i install them, i certainly can't get my hand in the tight area to pull out factory bulbs and replace with the new ones.

thanks,
greg

Old 05-09-2005, 09:11 PM
cullenkyla
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look in your manual it will show you how to do it. I have done it but it would be better
to look it up in your manaul its not hard

Old 05-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Carguy1959
Senior User
Make sure you don't touch the the glass part of the bulb, It will make it burn out much faster.....

Old 05-10-2005, 12:28 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Carguy1959
Make sure you don't touch the the glass part of the bulb, It will make it burn out much faster.....
Carguy1959 is telling you the facts, but because last time I told someone that, he reached out and picked up the bulb with his fingers, to see why... I thought I would tell you why. Your skin oil will contaminate the glass on a Halogen and cause premature burnout.

True of spark plugs too, but most folks won't believe it, as their daddy never knew it.... On a plug, don't touch the white part with greasy fingers. Everyone has greasy fingers.
On a Halogen bulb it's even faster failure.
Chris

Old 05-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Truckasaurus
Senior User
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
True of spark plugs too, but most folks won't believe it, as their daddy never knew it.... On a plug, don't touch the white part with greasy fingers. Everyone has greasy fingers.
On a Halogen bulb it's even faster failure.
Chris
What are we supposed to use to change plugs now?? A mechanical arm??

You learn something new every day here!

T

Old 05-10-2005, 12:45 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Wink

Change em anyway you want.

I handle them only by the tip, or the base, and use a clean socket to install em. I also use a 'plug starter' one of those rubber things that hold the plug while you screw it in. In the old days we used a piece of 1/4 inch vacuum hose on the nipple to start the plugs. It's a heck of a lot easier than holding the ceramic in your fingers anyway.

Most shops don't care, no strike that, they want the plugs to last till their warranty ends, then fail.
Don't lose a lot of sleep over it, it's like topping up the oil filter before installing it, or checking the plug gap or a dozen other things that have sorta faded out in today's world.
Chris

Believe it or not, people used to check tire pressure before the tire looked flat. Amazing.

Old 05-10-2005, 12:54 PM
gregbj33
Freshman User
thanks guys,

the install was very easy, maybe 5 mins on each one. seems to be a difference just looking at the headlight with one of each in, but this is during daylight. my only concern was i couldn't turn the new ones in to lock until i took off the red seal that stayed on the assembly. i then realized the new bulb had its own seal and then they went on very easy. am i right in taking off the seal.

Old 05-10-2005, 01:56 PM
kingfish51
Posting Guru
Yoiu were right. I had the same problem when I put in the Extra Visions. Look at the bulbs you took out. You will see they no longer have a o-ring there since it stuck to the housing.

P.S. You will find the lights a bit better at night. Not a huge change, but one you can tell.