1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Should my '66 F250 have oil bath or paper air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 12:21 PM
brider
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should my '66 F250 have oil bath or paper air filter?

The reason I ask is that I took the assembly off (center screw was stripped, allowing the assembly to flop around) and found that the paper element there was too large in diameter to seat on the intended surface(s).

So the flopping issue along with the wrong size element got me wondering.

The intake "nose" on the housing has a "300" sticker on it, so maybe the whole assembly is from a later year 300?

Do I really need to find an oil bath unit, or just a paper element to fit mine?

Old 05-09-2005, 12:29 PM
fast frank 66
Senior User
i have a oil bath on my 300 in my '66 250. but i put it on myself, it was left over from an old '51 my father had. i can only make out "I6" on whats left of the sticker on it. when i got the truck there was no air filter. it really doesn't matter what filter you use, just get one that fits.

Last edited by fast frank 66; 05-09-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:52 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Parts books show oil bath air cleaner, C5TZ 9600-D for your truck.

Barry

Old 05-09-2005, 06:16 PM
cdherman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does it have a Carter YF or Autolite 1101 carb? How much too large is the hole for the neck of the carb? Or was it just the filter that was too large? If the threaded bracket on the carb is stripped out, just thread a nut on each side of it.

But get it tight (the nut) and use some locktight, or better yet, go get a locking nut for the bottom one. A nut that falls into the intake will find itsway into the head sooner or later, with some rather nasty outcomes.

The 66 would have had a oil bath, on top of an Autolite 1101 carb originally. The fact that it appears you have a paper aircleaner housing for a 300 on there confuses me, as I don't know that there were ever paper aircleaner housings made to fit an Autolite carb in a 300. But there were paper aircleaners for 300s that have Carter YF carbs. Make sense? Carter carb has a larger neck.

Finding aftermarket aircleaners for both of those carbs is a little tricky. Best bet is to find used ones.

Old 05-10-2005, 12:18 AM
GregTruck
Elder User
I have the Carter problem as far as air filters go. I want to get rid of the Autolite because so many folks say the YF will be better and more economical. I still havent done the swap because all I have found is an ugly filter housing off of a 79 Fairmont. The thing has those stupid emissions gadgets all over it and is just plain ugly compaired to my oil bath. Then there are the manual choke issues. Whole other story. Too bad an aftermarket supplier does not come out with some decent filtering options for a rather popular carburetor. Even better a factory looking oil bath that can use oil or paper filter. I'll take one of those please!

Old 05-10-2005, 04:45 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by barry
Parts books show oil bath air cleaner, C5TZ 9600-D for your truck.

Barry
Interesting Barry, all that I ever saw were oil bath.

John

Old 05-10-2005, 08:08 AM
brider
More Turbo
CD Herman:

My problem is the paper element is too large for the housing, but now that I think of it, maybe the housing doesn't fit the carb very well either, beacuse I took a simple bolt to replace the stripped wing bolt, and when I hand-tighten it (the threads in the carb part are good), the housing still wiggles a bit on the carb.

The carb itself works like a charm, choke works well, it will start with a touch of the starter, but the carb is COVERED with varnishy-smelling gunk, and without cleaning it, I see no visible ID. The throttle and choke actuation are on the firewall side, fuel inlet on the radiator side.

This truck supposedly had an engine rebuild about 20 yrs ago, with a swap to a 4-sp tranny at the same time. I suspect the PO thought the oil bath was a pain, and found a junkyard paper replacement.

OR, there was a carb swap, and the oil bath didn't fit, necessitation a paper unit.

I personally would like to go back to an oil bath, so if anyone out there has one, I'd be interested.

One other thing concerns me:

Like I said, there was an engine rebuild in the distant past. The guy I bought it from was advertising it for a "friend", who bought it from the DAUGHTER of the ORIGINAL owner. Since the guy doing the ad didn't know squat about the details, I'm sure he looked at the "300" decal on the air cleaner, and advertised it as a 300 engine.

I hate to think about it, but could this engine actually be a 240??

Old 05-10-2005, 08:30 PM
barry
Postmaster
It's possible, you can't tell the difference from just looking at them. Alot of trucks with 240's were swapped to 300's as it was a direct fit. Look at the block and see if you can see the casting numbers ( xxxx 6015 xx ) I just got a master cross reference book and it may be in there. I also might have acess to a book with casting numbers at work. Have we ever deciphered you vin to see what it's supposed to have in it?

Barry

Old 05-10-2005, 10:16 PM
cdherman
Posting Guru
Post a pic of what you are dealing with. I am pretty sure I or someone here can tell you what carb that is. Then we can discuss aircleaner options and/or your can start junkyarding to find one. I personally am no fan of oil bath breathers. The paper cleaners are better, but if you like the look and don't mind the mess, the oil units are fine as well I think.

Old 05-11-2005, 03:58 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by brider
One other thing concerns me:
I hate to think about it, but could this engine actually be a 240??
I have seen guys that will come close to blows, about their 360 being a 390, because that is what they were told when they bought it. Fact is most trucks have 352s & 360s rather than 390s, darn near all 65s and most 66s are 240s. IMHO

John

Old 05-11-2005, 06:18 AM
cdherman
Posting Guru
Most folks aren't doing realy heavy work with a 65 or 66 anyhow. Thus,as 240 may be more of a blessing than a curse. Geared right and tuned correctly, it will get better mileage than the 300. If anything, it is even more indestructible than the 300.

So look on the right side, its a win win.

Old 05-11-2005, 06:47 AM
brider
More Turbo
Sanity check...

I took a look at the VIN plate, and to my relief, it has the "B" engine designation, which denotes the 300 engine for '66. Whew!

I have nothing against the 240, I've owned one in the past, even towed a 4400-lb Landcruiser almost 800 miles with it in an F100 with a 3-sp!!

But I bought this truck thinking I MIGHT need to tow the same Landcruiser with (2) motorcycles in the back for a future move, so I wanted the 300.

I will try to take a pic of the carb and post it for the experts to identify.

Barry-

I tried to run out and look at that "slick" (I don't know if I like that term!) on rt 80 at lunch yesterday. Whaddya know! I-95 locked up solid about 5 mi west of 91!! When will I ever learn? I gave up and turned around. Guess I'll have to try a run at 3:00 am or something when 95 isn't so freakin' jammed.

Old 05-11-2005, 06:53 PM
barry
Postmaster
I avoid that road at all costs!

Barry

Old 05-11-2005, 09:59 PM
rob66f100
New User
brider i just got another 66 to use for parts and i have a oil bath housing for the autolite carb

Old 05-12-2005, 08:08 AM
brider
More Turbo
Awright:

Rob66f100:

I guess I better check to see if I have an Autolite. Can anyone who has one give me some identifying characteristics?

Rob-

I'll try to see if this forum will give me your e-mail to send you a message so we maybe can work out a deal, OR, just send me a private message.

brider

Quick Reply: Should my '66 F250 have oil bath or paper air filter?