General Automotive Discussion

Vehicle History Report??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 10:43 PM
88svt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle History Report??

Does anyone know if Waranty work on a new vehicle (such as replacing a PCM) shows up on a vehicle history report? I would think the big 3 would try and hide this info but I'm not sure.

Thanks

Old 05-07-2005, 11:04 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
No, but that info is stored in the manufacturer history report, not on CarFax. And dealership/service department can access that.

Old 05-08-2005, 12:50 AM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But will the dealer let you have the vehicles past service records and repairs, no, like your medical records I can't see them. I have a 2nd owner vehicle and had to go thru a attorney to get the records. Far as vehicle damage history the owner can go to a body shop and get repairs done without telling anyone. Again my vehicle was on lease and had suspension damage that was patched up not by a dealer, no paper trail. What do you expect the vehicle was leased to a doctor. Buyer beware.
Carl....=o&o>....

Old 05-08-2005, 01:39 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
"Beemer Nut" But will the dealer let you have the vehicles past service records and repairs, no, like your medical records I can't see them. I have a 2nd owner vehicle and had to go thru a attorney to get the records. Far as vehicle damage history the owner can go to a body shop and get repairs done without telling anyone. Again my vehicle was on lease and had suspension damage that was patched up not by a dealer, no paper trail. What do you expect the vehicle was leased to a doctor. Buyer beware.

So this brings us to a philosophical question of running a used car operation- do you want to run a good one, or not? We run the best used car operation I've seen in my 30 years in the car biz, but here's what it takes:

1) A lot of cost-intensive shop time
2) A willingness to do what it takes to make the car really ready to sell
3) A willingness to unload a piece of merchandise if it has a whiff of a potential issue.
4) An awareness that you can't sell your used on price alone, because you probably paid more for them in the first place, and darned sure spent more on them before you put them on the lot.

Most importantly, staying focused on the concept that it's your name on each and every piece of merchandise that leaves your lot with a temp in the window. It takes years to establish a rock-solid reputation, and only one newspaper clip to destroy it

Old 05-08-2005, 12:47 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dealings with "STEALERS"

Polarbear, the vehicle i'm talking about is a 95 Landrover Discovery that I purchased from a private party, end of 5 year 60K lease. Dealer performed less than half of the required fluid changes as well as inspections and signed off the work as done and billed the customer. As a aircraft mechanic I trust no one specifically car dealers (stealers) as they lie. I caught them on their maintenance record lies. I had engine problems and a 7 year 100K extended warranty from the previous owner, which became a new factory motor short block replacement due to dealers phoney maintenance, hence attorney to get records. They proved to me on a road test that a draging clutch is me not the vehicle and the service tech (idiot) slam shifted 1st to 2nd crunched the box (5-speed ZF,$$$), chipped tooth went thru the box, click, click, click. Rover dealer got a transmission repair bill for $1,700 as I went to a independent trans shop, attorney small claims court. Before this the "stealers had the trans out 3 times for rear main oil seal leak, they threw the Y pipe with cats on the floor, metal case all bent from their actions and the guts inside started rattling, dealer replacement for cats $940. Photos as to them tossing the exhaust, priceless as I had the camera. Brand new cats after photos sent to Rover of North America with letter from attorney. By the way the attorney is a personal friend, no charge as he enjoyed this. Done rambling.
Carl....=o&o>....

Old 05-08-2005, 01:20 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Polarbear, the vehicle i'm talking about is a 95 Landrover Discovery that I purchased from a private party, end of 5 year 60K lease.
There's the first problem right there- we wholesale every Land Rover we get in, no exceptions. We'll stock a Jaguar, but not a Land Rover (sez something)
Dealer performed less than half of the required fluid changes as well as inspections and signed off the work as done and billed the customer. As a aircraft mechanic I trust no one specifically car dealers (stealers) as they lie. I caught them on their maintenance record lies. I had engine problems and a 7 year 100K extended warranty from the previous owner, which became a new factory motor short block replacement due to dealers phoney maintenance, hence attorney to get records.
Bad dealer- which surprises me in Land Rovers- they typically have good (although expensive) Service Dept's. They have to have good Servive Dept's to keep 'em running!
They proved to me on a road test that a draging clutch is me not the vehicle and the service tech (idiot) slam shifted 1st to 2nd crunched the box (5-speed ZF,$$$), chipped tooth went thru the box, click, click, click. Rover dealer got a transmission repair bill for $1,700 as I went to a independent trans shop, attorney small claims court. Before this the "stealers had the trans out 3 times for rear main oil seal leak, they threw the Y pipe with cats on the floor, metal case all bent from their actions and the guts inside started rattling, dealer replacement for cats $940. Photos as to them tossing the exhaust, priceless as I had the camera. Brand new cats after photos sent to Rover of North America with letter from attorney. By the way the attorney is a personal friend, no charge as he enjoyed this. Done rambling.
You hit a double-header there- used car from hell, and dealership from the same point of origin.