New Toy, Thoughts and Comments?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 06:21 AM
jdbanks
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New Toy, Thoughts and Comments?

Hey FTE'ers,

Just got me a new toy I found on Ebay (auction #4543381206). I've posted pictures in a gallery if you want to take a look and tell me what you think and what you think it's worth. Here are some of the details.

- 1967 F100, SWB, 460, C6
- 460 out of 77 Lincoln
- Electronic Ignition
- Power Steering
- Power Disc Brakes
- Holley 750 double pumper on a RARE SUPER COBRA JET intake manifold
- The whole front end is new,new king pins,tie rods,brake rotors,bearings.
- The I beams are from a later model F-100

Of course it does have a few problems
- small holes rusted in bed, covered by sheet metal welded down
- surface rust
- small rust in floor boards, some small holes
- driver side window regulator doesn't work
- fuel gauge sending unit not working
- the 77 Lincoln engine was supposedly not very good, designed to meet smog regulations, reportedly only putting out about 195 horses

So there's the stats, what's the verdict?
[IMG][/IMG]
-J.Banks-

Last edited by jdbanks; 05-08-2005 at 06:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-08-2005, 06:51 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Morning JD, WHat did you have to give for it? The auction says the reserve was not met, but that was in April.

I have a 66 kinda like that, from 30 feet it looks pretty good, but it has a lot of bad places in the paint. I have spent a lot on money in engine, tranny, & running gear upgrades. It'll run like a big horse, but I have way too much money in it and can never recover it. I have another truck that needs to be put together that I wont have anywhere as much in.

As long as you drive it like it is, you will be ok. IMHO

John

Old 05-08-2005, 07:04 AM
jdbanks
Elder User
Morning John, actually late night for me (work overnights on weekend). I'm going to hold my cards right now on what I paid, trying to get honest on answers on what people think it's worth.

I feel like I overpaid, but I had the money, wanted the truck, so I got it. I might fix up my other 67 to road worthy and then sell this one for hopefully what I paid. I'd rob the front end and the grill first before doing that though. But until then, it will give me a legal running truck to play with. And who knows, I might like the 460, but it's pretty new to me right now. Have FEs in my others. If i don't like the 460 as is, might rather build up a 390/410/428 or something along those lines. We'll see.

-J.Banks-

Old 05-08-2005, 07:24 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
You already know that the answers on worth is as varied as the sun rise to set. If you are happy, it's all that matters.

I know now it takes about 5 trucks to get all of the parts needed to build a project without having a fortune in it. 460s can be built to make some real power, alot of cubes to work with there.

hope ya enjoy the new truck

John

Old 05-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It's not a bad truck at all. A lot of the issues with that engine would have been fixed with the new intake and carb, while a cam swap would fix most of the rest. The regulator is an easy fix, and the truck externally does look pretty nice. Just think about it- now you don't have to find a 67, swap in a 460, swap in disk brakes, power steering, electonic ignition, etc. All the work has already been done.

Old 05-08-2005, 04:39 PM
thesprocket26
Posting Guru
I might have paid $3500. I think it is a nice truck. I would have to be there in person to judge the bad parts. I have almost the same truck as you with the exceptions of mine is a longbed 429.

Old 05-08-2005, 07:25 PM
jdbanks
Elder User
Yeah Ford-Six, I was thinking right along those same lines. I have a '67 with 360 and C6 but it has wiring problems my mechanic couldnt figure out and needs work here and there. No electronic ignition, no disc brakes, carb problem, etc. I did the power steering swap but hadn't done the power brakes yet. The biggest problem was I'm 2 hours away from the truck now living in a town that's not old truck friendly and I don't have a place to park it at my apartment to get it up and running...blah blah blah. So I snagged this one for $1900. The rust on the floor-boards is off putting to me but it shouldn't be anything a good body-man couldn't fix with the right replacement floor boards. Same for the bed or I could swap in a good one from somewhere else. I was kinda dissappointed about the 460 supposedly being a "dog" but hopefully you're right about the intake and carb making a difference. If not, I could have it rebuilt or whatever just as easy as I could an old running 360 or not running 390, both of which I have.

Thesproket26, the $3500 quote makes me smile. Originally the "Buy It Now" price was $2500 and I thought it might go for that, then seeng more pics I was worried by some of the rust so I backed off. All in all I think everything is going to go very well, just have a little "empty bank account remorse" I think. But payday is a week away! Going to need to pay gas too.

And if anyone is curious, I do intend on FINALLY putting up pics of my other vehicles in my gallery. Another 67 F100 SWB, 360-C6 power steering, a 68 F100 SWB 360-4spd, dana60 (?) limited-slip rear, my brothers (family truck) 69 F100 Ranger, LWB 351w-C6, power steering, and parts trucks of 68, 70, 72 models. Check back in if you enjoy pics of old trucks, like me.

-J.Banks-