2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrades for '06 model F-150

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 10:57 AM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While the F250's are excellent trucks with awesome power out of the V-10, some people like to get more than 12 MPG. Not to mention that the interior and the smooth ride of the F-150 is far superior to even the 05 Super Duties. I've been in both, and I'm leaning toward the F-150. There's nothing wrong with wanting improvements. Most of what is being asked for in this thread are things that are already in use in other Ford vehicles at this time. Most people don't need a truck for Super Duty type work, and that's what the F-150 is for. I often read on the Super Duty forum about SD owners making fun of people that don't really need a SD. Especially when the SD line tends to run $2-3,000 more in general than F-150's.
Also, my Bro-in-laws jeep, has 4 upshifts, so yes it is a 5-spd. It actually has 6 different gear ratios with two second gear ratios depending on if your upshifting or downshifting. As far as the belt in CVT's, the one Ford uses in the 500 and Freestyle has a mesh chain, not a belt.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Danko
Senior User
SD's

Truck, You looked months to get the right 150? You could have gotten it built quicker or at least known for sure you got it the way you want it. I do not tow or haul, either, but the new SD's offer me more than the F150's and I HAVE two 150's. I have a 2002 and a 2003 HarleyDavidson F150. They are both fourdoors and automatics (stinkin' 4 speeds). Getting a new F250 for $23K WITH some goodies makes me question the above comment about the $2-3K price diff., just like I question automatic Jeeps with 6 forward gears. The new ones have real five speeds. A couple years ago they had five gears but used only one of their "2nd's" and upshift THREE times. Count again? I am NOT slamming 150's. I just think it is amazing to read so many 150 fans wish they could get on their 150 the stuff they CAN get on the new Super Duty which has a smoother ride and smaller turning circle and improved V-10's with 362 h.p. and 457 ft.lbs. of torque AND 17 m.p.g. according to the guys in the SD part of this forum. Mine is being built this week and I may get it next week. None of my trucks are used as trucks. They are well-priced toys with capabilities not existing in cars for the same price. The resale value of the supercharged HD's tells me I did the right thing getting those two. So does their dropdead looks! I do not mean to slam the latest 150's but I cannot stand the slabsided lack of style (front is nice) and butt in the air silly look. With the improved V-10 and other SD options and features, I know why there are so few at the dealers is not just because people prefer to order them. I do not want to offend 150 types (remember me? I HAVE two!), so I will go back to the SD part of this forum and leave ya'll to go back to your feature wishing.

Old 05-10-2005, 01:02 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the Jeep, it could have 2 or 10 gears, (it has 8 ratios, plus reverse, but who cares) the fact is it pulls rubber hard, and goes very fast, no dead spots, etc. on a 3800 lb SUV. I like that.
I have owned a lot of jeeps, and would never ever recommend one since the old Cherokee.
I am just comparing the feel, flex etc. on the tranny engine combo.

With the room behind my seat on my regular cab, I am very pleased. I haven't seen a Superduty with that much room, that didn't have a useless to me 8 foot bed, or would fit in a standard 20 foot garage, and leave enough room to walk around the front. My garage is 22 feet deep, but has a thirty inch deep work bench that I am not giving up.

Doesn't matter. I have driven 2001 and 2002 Superduty trucks. They are nice, but they are trucks. Heavy, not good handling, not pleasant to drive. Great on the freeway, and super (humor intended) for towing.
Not a daily driver. Not intended for a daily driver.

So that said, you find me one for the price I paid for my F-150, fully equipped with A/C power steering, auto. And I will buy it.
Actually I would, I'm helping a lady look for a truck to tow a double horse trailer this month. She would jump all over that. Best price I have seen on a new 2005 Superduty is seven k more than my truck cost me last September.
And that one didn't have a bloody bed.
Chris,
(who likes rack and pinion, and tossing his 'sport truck' around corners).

Old 05-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Truckasaurus
Senior User
Originally Posted by Danko
Truck, You looked months to get the right 150? You could have gotten it built quicker or at least known for sure you got it the way you want it. I do not tow or haul, either, but the new SD's offer me more than the F150's and I HAVE two 150's. I have a 2002 and a 2003 HarleyDavidson F150. They are both fourdoors and automatics (stinkin' 4 speeds). . None of my trucks are used as trucks. They are well-priced toys with capabilities not existing in cars for the same price. The resale value of the supercharged HD's tells me I did the right thing getting those two. So does their dropdead looks! I do not mean to slam the latest 150's but I cannot stand the slabsided lack of style (front is nice) and butt in the air silly look. I do not want to offend 150 types (remember me? I HAVE two!), so I will go back to the SD part of this forum and leave ya'll to go back to your feature wishing.
I was also shopping for the right deal. In fact I had price negotiations with 3 dealers before getting what I wanted at the price I wanted. The SuperCharged HD's were awesome and I would have bought one if they had rear bench...I bet those are a blast to drive around in. Sounds like you have a pretty KA garage Danko...at the end of the day, I always say people should drive whatever the he|| they want and not worry what others think. You're not out to please others by your choices.

Best,

T

Old 05-10-2005, 02:03 PM
Danko
Senior User
deals

I have good deals made easy by having my bro-in-law getting back into Ford. Prior to that, I used my neighbor who owns the local dealer to get me a deal on the two HD's. Using your pc should allow you to get someone nearby with invoicepricing.com. Getting Ford trucks at the right price reminds me of the old days when I got good deals on Vettes, drove them and sold them for little or no loss of resale. These are great trucks and have resale to match.
WOTTT uh KONNTREEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-10-2005, 02:50 PM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
The only SD's getting 17 MPG are going to be PSD's, and that's an extra $6. It seems that 12 MPG is the norm for a V-10 and 14 is about tops. The reason for more F-150s on lots has more to do with volume sold. More F-150's are sold than SD's so you will find more of them on the lots. Don't get me wrong, I love the SDs, but they are just not practical for me and not as refined as the F-150. I would love to have one, but the F-150 is much more practical for me.
Just curios Danko, is your SD 2wd or 4wd, and what kind of options do you have. My statement about F-150's being $2-3k less comes right off of the sticker prices at the lot and Fords online build and price feature. It sounds like you got a really good price on your truck, but did you look to see what kind of deal you could have got on a similar equipped F-150.

Old 05-10-2005, 03:06 PM
Danko
Senior User
similar-equipped??????

How can an F150 be similarly equipped? 362 h.p. V-10 with 6 speed manual and 4.30 posi and camper susp pkg., etc. I am also getting best radio (MP3), steps, bodyside moldings, XLT trim level, alum 17" wheels and saving almost $1K using employee discount thnx to bro-in-law getting back into Ford. I wish he had still been there when I got my two F150 HD's. Factory rebate recently went up from $2500 to $3K. Actual V-10 owners in this forum say the new V-10 is good for 17 m.p.g. I will hopefully find out soon. MSRP is $28775 and A Plan is $24467. I add 6% for sales tax and that takes it almost to $26K then I deduct $3K rebate for one Hell of a deal. Yes, if you add doors and 4WD and automatic you can make these things get worse mileage and cost too much but I am getting one Hell of a $23K vehicle!

Old 05-10-2005, 04:52 PM
GordoPanocho
Elder User

Last edited by GordoPanocho; 05-10-2005 at 05:49 PM. Reason: removed due to double post (by GordoPanocho)
Old 05-10-2005, 05:11 PM
AlpsCEO
Freshman User
WTF DANKO - I think you belong in the Superduty section. Nobody here wants your 2 cents because we are all supporters of the F150 - we don't want your damn superduty - Have fun paying more at the pump and oh yeah - I like the Interior of the superduty - NOT it has not been changed in years and looks bad- F150s rock.

Old 05-10-2005, 05:41 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlpsCEO
WTF DANKO - I think you belong in the Superduty section. Nobody here wants your 2 cents because we are all supporters of the F150 - we don't want your damn superduty - Have fun paying more at the pump and oh yeah - I like the Interior of the superduty - NOT it has not been changed in years and looks bad- F150s rock.
Oh, I don't mind. But there is no comparison, really. If any of us needed a captal T truck, we would all be down looking at Superdutys.
I kind of like the info. But now we have to let the guys with Rangers in, to tell us why our big heavy F-150 trucks are hard to drive, park, etc.
Chris

Old 05-10-2005, 05:47 PM
GordoPanocho
Elder User
Old 05-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Danko
Senior User
NAFTA Nacho Not!

I own and enjoy two great supercharged F150's and no NAFTA NACHO will tell me squat about where I should be and expect me to kowtow. I suggest my first reply in this thread was warranted and appropriate. It followed reading comments from many F150 types and what they wanted. I pointed out all those things are available on a Ford truck which just happens to be well-priced and updated for 2005. I suggest very few here knew the new V-10 has 362 h.p. and 457 ft.lbs. of torque. ......and you will read no "WTF's" or other immature bejabbering from me. The public school system did not leave all of us behind. Chris, I am a good example of someone that did not look at Super Duties because he NEEDED a real truck. The SD just happens to have all those things the F150 guys wanted on the previous pages and for the right price and I am going to ENJOY!!!!!!! ..for less than ANY of you are going to be buying new F150's for!

Last edited by Danko; 05-10-2005 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:31 PM
AlpsCEO
Freshman User
Listen buddy, I go to a private school with 4.3 GPA unweighed (if you even know what that means) - don't tell me about public school jibber jabber.

Old 05-10-2005, 07:33 PM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
Unfortunately, most of us don't have friends or relatives that can get us special prices. I've read all the MPG threads in the V-10 forumn, and the only way to get 17 MPG is coming down the mountain. Heck, even the PSD are hard pressed to get 17 from what I've read. I'm glad you are getting a great truck, but with the same discounts on an F-150, you'd be saving at least $500. Not a huge difference, but that is comparing a manual to a auto. (more on that to follow) I would consider a 5.4 F-150 and a V-10 SD similarly equipped as an F-150 doesn't really need a V-10 as it is 700+ lbs lighter than a SD in 2wd form, 800lbs lighter in 4x4 form and the 5.4 is going to be on the underpowered side in a SD. The 5.4 150 will be a bit slower than the V-10 SD, but not that much.
I think why people are getting upset is that you are giving people a false view on what kind of pricing that ordinary Joe Shopper is going to be able to get. The SD is more expensive than an F-150. You got an awesome deal on yours, but not eeveryone is going to be able to get the same. The availability of a manual tranny in the SD is the most desireable option IMO, and it helps keep pricing reasonable, however, if you are one who prefers an auto, then the difference between F150 and SD is $1900+.

Old 05-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Forrest_F150
Senior User
Danko,

I own a Ford F150... I Love It!! But there are other trucks out there that are good too. Don't knock something just because it's made by a Japanese company.

Don't forget the Japanese at one time could not build a luxury car (they just built cheap efficient civics, accords, etc.). Well, fast forward to Lexus and Infinity..... It might take time but I am sure they'll eat away quite a bit Ford's, Chevy's and Dodge's Truck market share..... last time i checked the big three were Ford, Chevy and Crysler.. If those three don't get their act together don't be suprised in 10 years if that changes to Toyota, Nissan, and Honda... seriously....

Quick Reply: Upgrades for '06 model F-150