More Power needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 07:27 PM
emt85
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Power needed

How can I get more power out of my stock Ranger Edge with the 3.0 V6. Is it also normal for the rev limiter to stop the rev at 3500 rpm? I have little power off the line and lose to S-10s with small engines what can I do.

Old 05-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Max1
Junior User
My 3.0 4x4 is no powerhouse either. I love my truck but i wish i would have opted for the 4.0 liter, especially in the 4wd application. I've just learned to live with it, but i do know it revs out to more than 3500rpms.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

The rev limiter might be set low for when the truck is in Park or Nuetral. Are you sure it can only go to 3500 rpm when you are out on the road?

If you can't get it over 3500 rpm when you are out driving around then there is something wrong.

Old 05-07-2005, 11:17 AM
emt85
New User
rev limiter

My rev limiter tops at 3500 in park and neutral but every one that has been in my truck that knows vehicles says that that is low compared to other vehicles

Old 05-18-2005, 10:23 AM
3Lstroker
Junior User
That is a built in safeguard in the computer. It won't let you rev it to the redline unless it is in gear. Your rev limit in gear should be around 5700.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:13 PM
RagunCajun
Senior User
Yeah he has a good point. The only way i can get mine over 3500 is to shift it into nutreal while the truck is rolling.

As for the power thing, i run my truck hard a lot and i dont have any power of the line either. i Drag a good bit and the only chance i have is when i start pulling hard from like 2nd-3rd but then at 78mph it shifts out of the passing gear. I have flowmaster exaust but it doesnt do a darn thing for off the line power. I am curious to a not too expesive solution for off the line power. BTW i have an automatic tranny.

Last edited by RagunCajun; 06-04-2005 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:49 PM
bryan_c65
New User
Me too

my 00 3.0 has rev limiter at the same 3500 in park/neutral..5700 is in gear..thats not the problem for me...my truck is a slug on the road, my mechanic/friend said that taking converters off is one of the best ways to get the hp, but it messes up the computer...maybe creating some problems, we just BRIEFLY talked about it, only affect he said would be the check engine light would come on but i fear there would be more, i haven't tried anything yet, i thought i'd wait on some feedback. MILEAGE...wow, down around 12-14...4.10 gears are my guess...i assume most of us cruise 65 upwards of 2500??? any ideas...i'm too afraid of gas to step on it, but when i do...i wanna sit back, not feel like i gotta push

Old 07-13-2005, 05:01 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome Bryan_54, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 07-18-2005, 09:38 AM
RagunCajun
Senior User
recently i installed mac air intake and i holllowed out my cat on my truck. It pulls harder once it gets over about 3k rpms or so but it doesnt have off the line power. I dragged a s10 with a 4.0 v6 and he had me off the line then i pulled hard and passed him up pretty fast.

Anyways, after hollowing out my cat, my engine light didnt come on. I did it to increase sound on my exaust. I dont think it is really worth it. No matter what you do, it wont have power off the line i believe unless you spend some major money. But if you do that, you could just get another truck. I accepted my truck will never be fast so i am adding a body kit and grill as well as other comsmetic things to it.

Old 07-23-2005, 07:53 PM
jdhudall
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I agree if you want more power you will have to invest some $$ but I have put every possible hp adder that I could find for the 3.0 except for NOS or a suppercharger! Here is a list of mods I have installed ( headers,high flow cats, dual exhaust, cold air intake, K&N air filter, electric fan , underdrive pulleys, throtle body spacer, mass air flow sensor, SCT programmer, bosch plugs wires, coil packs)!I also use synthetic oil to help out the mpg! The two biggest gains in hp and mpg was the headers and sct programer but the headers were $400 and the sct was $300 the rest was a lot less but I guess you get what you pay for! I will be taking my truck to the 1/4 mile drag strip to test it out on the 3rd of August so I will let you know my numbers! I can beat any stock 4.0 ranger or s-10 with mine but I spent about $1200 in upgrades! 1998 ford ranger xlt extended cab 4 dr 4X4 3.0 auto with 4:10 gears and 35" tires 5" lift kit and fully customized with every accesory avalible!!

Old 07-27-2005, 08:16 PM
Sport Side
New User
What's up guys? I'm new here and am also looking for more power.

What tuning software is available for these motors? I have a 2005 Ranger, 3.0L. Anyone know if guys like Bryan @ PCM4LESS tunes these trucks?

I'd like to cut-out the cats, install some headers and a decent cat-back. How about ported throttle bodies and cold air intakes... Where can I find these products?

Could anyone supply me with some performance parts depots? I'd like to look around at products.

Thanks,

Kyle

Old 07-28-2005, 06:02 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Kyle WELCOME to FTE

Old 07-28-2005, 07:37 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Sport Side
What's up guys? I'm new here and am also looking for more power.

Could anyone supply me with some performance parts depots? I'd like to look around at products.
Welcome to FTE!

I suppose you could start by browsing through Motorhaven...

Old 07-30-2005, 10:26 PM
jdhudall
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as where I found all my performance parts I started with Motorhaven they had a very nice Mac cold air intake very easy install and a few other goodies! Then the rest I found at performancecenter.com all you have to do is put in what your vehicle is and they give you a list of every part available for your truck! I did all my shopping on line and saved $$ !!
P.S. check out my first reply to see a list of all the stuff I found for the 3.0!

Old 08-01-2005, 10:53 PM
RagunCajun
Senior User
Cant wait to hear ya 1/4 mile time man. I ran mine for the first time saturday night and best i got was a 17.778. Not too bad considering what i have. I am really interesting in those JBA headers on performancecenter.com. My only problem is i dont the the know-how to do it myself. Can yall perhaps give me an estimate on how much it would cost to pay someone to install the headers for me? I wanan get the headers with the diablo delta chip but i gotta hold off on the chip till after i get my headers cuz i was told that the chip should be the last thing i install. Plus, i think motorheaven programs the chip so it knows i have the headers. I hope after the headers and chip i will get into the 15's on the track but i dont see it happening. Anybody has the link for the turbo charger. I know it cost $5000 but i wanna bookmark it and dream over it for a long...long time

BTW i have the MAC air intake too. I love it!! and i installed it myself

Last edited by RagunCajun; 08-01-2005 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: More Power needed