Sponsored by:

Towing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 08:12 AM
Fishallot
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Towing Questions

Some of you may have noticed that I bought a '96 XLT 5.8L this week. It doesn't have a factory tow package on it. I plan to use the truck to pull my small boat occasionally and was wondering what the factory tow package includes that my truck is missing? I'm planning to add a class 3 hitch instead of using the bumper. Should I consider adding any other parts to pull a small boat short distances? The total weight being pulled is about 2500 lbs. I noticed that there's a wiring harness plug under the frame but it looks to be too far under the truck to use without some long wires, do I need a special adapter to use this plug?

Old 05-06-2005, 09:41 AM
Fishallot
Senior User
Just thought of another question about this. Is the factory hitch any different from the aftermarket ones? I'm sure I can find a factory hitch in a boneyard if it's a better fit for the truck.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:16 AM
iagainsti
Senior User
The tow package includes tranny cooler and of course tow hitch. Any good aftermarket setup will work like Draw-tite. If you can find a oem in a boneyard for a good price then even better. Any class III or IV hitch sould work for you. Im not sure if the tow package includeded the quad shock front end or not. Tranny cooler is always a must and never tow in OD. Good luck

Last edited by iagainsti; 05-06-2005 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:26 AM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

towing

I have '94 Bronco 5.8 with trailer towing pkg. I have noticed a sway bar on the rear axle and an oil cooler between the oil filter and block that has hoses to the radiator and also a very thick radiator. The only thing I have not hooked up to is a large tractor/bush hog and trailer and that is only because I have only the bumper hitch. If you drive with a heavy foot give the overdrive a rest with a heavy trailer. Adjust your rear brakes with your emergency brake if it has a lot of travel.

Old 05-06-2005, 11:31 AM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

lights

You probably know this but I forgot to mention the parts stores have wiring kits. You just disconnect one of your connectors and the kit plugs right in for your trailer lights.

Old 05-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Big Daddy J
Senior User
Not sure if your's will need it but my 87 has a factory tow package that also includes a power steering cooler along with the tranny cooler.

Old 05-07-2005, 12:35 PM
XolieX
Elder User
i have a tow package on mine with a stock trans cooler and i pulled 5000lbs 800 miles with my 96 eddie bauer and the car was loaded with weight and 2 big adults.

the bronco pulled like it wasn't pulling too much weight. so i know yours will pull flawlessly as well.

i was going pretty far so i did use OD on flats. your bronco will pull that 2500lbs like its not even there. i could barley tell my 5000lbs was there but i could notice a little. just putting her on D and letting off the brake, the bronco was pulling the load almost 5mph already with no gas and idling at 600rpms.

Old 05-07-2005, 03:55 PM
j.e.lacroix
Junior User
tow package on a 95 has front/rear sway quad shocks on the front, aux. tranny cooler
aux oil cooler on a 5.8 attached to the oil filter housingall this but still a step and tow bumper only the wiring harness connector is located to the right side in the rear about a foot in under the bumperpull that connector apart and get the valley/hoppy add on a the parts store pop it all back together and your done. 2500lbs is ok on a step and tow but if you put on a receiver hitch you may feel more secure. if your tuna fishing you'll need to add 1500 more lbs. to the hitch if your lucky!! safe towing and fishing.

Old 05-07-2005, 09:44 PM
wozxxx86
Senior User
well as far as i knew, the quad shocks were only for a plow package. and as far as the bumper hitch, i reguraly tow 7000lbs with it, no problems. doesnt even squat the backend down to much...actualy makes it ride with an even rake. mines got all the hd stuff on it tho. quad shocks, limited slip, a huge radiator, i think 4 core...( wish i could get it to warm up in the winter without cardboard lol). mines also got the oil cooler

Old 05-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Fishallot
Senior User
Wow...thanks for all the replies, you guys are great. Well I never claimed to be the brightest guy in the world..... Actually I was so amazed with the condition of the truck when I was looking at it I never checked everything to see if it did have a tow package. I just assumed it didn't because it only has the step bumper.

After doing some serious inspecting today I now think I do have the towing package. The truck has front and rear sway bars, quad shocks up front, extra tranny cooler, LS rear end and the exact wiring harness connector that "j.e.lacroix" described. Can someone give more detail on how to use that wiring connector? The previous owner of the truck said it came with some type of adapter to use there but he couldn't locate it when I bought the truck.

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 05-08-2005, 03:10 AM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

I don't know if you are talking about engine warm up or driver warm up. My goal was to get the A/C to be cold in my face no matter how or where I was driving. That is done but it solved the freze my fanny in the winter problem with a heater core and fixing four vacuum issues. Now I get decent heat from the heater. Click on my name to see all my posts. My '94 EB does not have quad fronts but appears to have all the rest. I don't know about LS. Does Ford limited slip still work after high milage? The Yeep I used to have would quit being effective with milage.

Old 05-08-2005, 08:04 AM
j.e.lacroix
Junior User
if the bronco came with factory tow package it came with a connector plug with a 6/8 inch pigtail with 4/6 wires could be in rear stow bins or glove box or as most used trucks it was tossed out this would allow you to hook up a electric brake controller on/under your dash thats where the harness is to plug in. in front of your right knee behind the stow bin tucked up out of the way. this works all your trailer needs by picking up your bronco signals[brake/turn/running lights] and by going thru your power distribution box [big fuse box under hood near air filter and master cylinder]the reason for this is if you blow a fuse or have electrical problems on your trailer or plug in it won't effect the trucks system IF YOU don't have that option and plug a valley/hoppy adapter trailer wiring jack into your existing light harness in the rear of the truck. this is located about a foot in under the bumper to the right side [1/2 way from trailer ball and the right taillight. keep your mouth closed and wear some safety glasses and pull the connector apartyou must release the clip that locks it together and plug new adapter in and your done this wont have the e-brake option in it but all your light will work instructions come with the adapter good luck this setup is the same on most if not all f series as well as bronco if you have a round 6/7 wire connector with a door under the rear then you have the factory setup also just a little electrical grease on the door seal to keep out world

Old 05-08-2005, 09:09 AM
j.e.lacroix
Junior User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by b4hntn
I don't know if you are talking about engine warm up or driver warm up. My goal was to get the A/C to be cold in my face no matter how or where I was driving. That is done but it solved the freze my fanny in the winter problem with a heater core and fixing four vacuum issues. Now I get decent heat from the heater. Click on my name to see all my posts. My '94 EB does not have quad fronts but appears to have all the rest. I don't know about LS. Does Ford limited slip still work after high milage? The Yeep I used to have would quit being effective with milage.
as to your ? on limited slip or as ford calls it "trac lock" on your drivers door jam near the post latch should be a factory label with lots of info if your can read it on the bottem right locate where it says axle 92-96 should all be the same and most likely the same back as far as 80 with very little changes.
under the axal code spot there can be up to 3 digits ist is the axal ratio H is for 3.55 gear ratio if you have a second digit is a number 9 is for trac lock if you have a 3rd digit it would mean you have trac lock on the front axal as well [sort of rare] H9 is rear limited slip. as to the wearing /high miles I have 2 95 broncos both in the 132000 range I got them used and both are "H9" rears one still works as it should and I haven't touched as of yet but it is on my to do list this summer. the second one has soom chattering at times and is fine for days on end . then for no apparent reason it will act up for a turn or two and gone again after further review someone has been in the rear cover . they weren't to good with the gasket maker inside and outsome gasket material was swimming around inside I pulled the cover drained and flushed the housing got the felpro gasket [six bucks] andclosed it up as for rear end gear oil if you have trac lock WATCH OUT you must use gear oil that has the "make up" for limited slip THIS DOSEN'T mean that its limited slip you must add LIMITED SLIP ADDITIVE [5 bucks] or get the valoline synthetic thats all ready to run on but very $$ my noise is all but gone and good luck on yours p.s. probably take you lnger to read this than do the work!

Old 05-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Fishallot
Senior User
Yep, you nailed the adapter description. I went to my local parts store today and bought the "hoppy" adapter that's called "7 round to 4 flat". Pluged it all up and my trailer lights works like a champ. Pulled the boat to the ramp and couldn't even tell it was back there. Sweeeeeeeet!!!!!

Old 05-09-2005, 05:52 AM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

Thanks, My '94 EB 169K does have H9 on the door post sticker. I suspect it is working because I stuck my 4X4 ATV in the woods and was fortunate enough to get it out with Bronco. The differential does not chatter just clunks at stops and I have not greased the spline yet. My question---how do I know the trac lock is working? Some say jack up rear, put in neutral, turn one wheel and other should trun in opposite direction and others say open differential will also do this. I'm confused.