Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

U-Haul trailer hitches

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 07:40 PM
aph453
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U-Haul trailer hitches

I want to upgrade my class 2 trailer hitch to a class 3 and a buddy of mine suggested I buy one from U-Haul and that they install them too. I checked online and the price was about $117.00 for a class 3 hitch. Has anyone ever used them or know how good of a job they do? Are they reliable or should I just pass this Idea up? Thanks.

Adam

Old 05-05-2005, 03:51 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know many people that have U-Haul hitches and have not had the first problem with them. I would not have a problem with one of their hitches (they are actually made by Draw-Tite I believe, and just have a U-Haul sticker), but personally will not have anything to do with U-Haul anymore myself because of their rental equipment maintenance and the fact that they will not rent to a person using an Explorer as a tow vehicle - but that has nothing to do with their hitches.

The main thing is just like anything else where someone is working on your vehicle - just see who is installing it and feel comfortable about them working on your car...

Old 05-07-2005, 07:29 PM
2003XLS
New User
Thumbs down U Haul

Why won't they rent to anyone using an Escape Cobra?????

Mike

Old 05-11-2005, 06:49 PM
aph453
Freshman User
I ordered it through U-Haul and it came to about $170.00 installed. I go tomorrow at 3:30 and should only take an hour to install. I will let everyone know how it goes and how good it is.

Thanks

Old 05-11-2005, 08:36 PM
bananaboat
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2003XLS
Why won't they rent to anyone using an Escape Cobra?????

Mike
They won't rent a trailer if the tow vehicle is an Explorer due to the roll-over issue. They will rent to Escapes.

Old 05-11-2005, 09:15 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Right - its Explorers - not Escapes. The roll-over issue created so much undeserved press on Explorers that U-Haul made that commitment. They will rent to Blazers which have the worst SUV record in history, but not Explorers. Oh well... their loss....

Old 05-16-2005, 07:42 AM
aph453
Freshman User
Ok, well my trip to U-Haul was a complete mess. I called them on tuesday to order the trailer hitch and make an appointment to get it installed. They told me it would take 8-10 buisness days to come in. Ok, well it happens. So the next day they call and say it's in (caught me by surprise) and said to come in at 9:30A.M. the next morning to get it installed. I was like, sorry but I work, so I told them I can be in at 3:30 instead. They agreed and so I went in after work on Wednesday. When I got there they said the guy that installs them went home for the day and told me to come back on friday. I was pissed that I waisted the time to drive down there to get that response. The least they could have done was call me and told me not to come in. So, I go down on Friday after work and the guy came out and said "they told me it was a ford van" well thats a far cry from an Escape. So the manager came out and said no no, the one for the Escape in in the corner. So the installer got it and they both looked down at my truck and said well you have a hitch already (class II). I said no kidding, I told you on the phone that I wanted to upgrade to a Class III from a Classs II. He was like, "well it's going to be an extra $50 to remove it. At this point I was really mad. I told them on the phone when I ordered it that I had a class II and I want to take it off and upgrade to a class III. They should have told me on the phone that it would be extra. After a few mins of fighting with them they said forget it they won't charge me the $$. When the guy started he told me there was a problem, the stock hitch was welded to the vehicle's frame (I never knew they did that, one new thing i learned) and said he couldn't do it. I said fine, got my deposit back and left. Sorry for the long post but I had to vent a little. Thanks for all your help.

Adam

Old 05-16-2005, 09:20 AM
Bilbo
New User
I know that Draw-Tite (same as U-haul) has a Class-III hitch for Escapes which are 2001-2004 which hangs below the smaller factory hitch. I believe that it's their #75118
I have instructions for mine here for attaching this hitch with an existing factory hitch in place.
Bilbo

Old 05-16-2005, 10:55 AM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
That is one U-Haul experience I'll have to bookmark... I feel for you alph. That is just one of the reasons I don't/won't deal with U-Haul. If you have a Leer store somehwere locally, you might try giving them a call.

I have not even looked underneath at the hitch to see if it can be unbolted or if it is welded. Did you confirm it is welded?

Old 05-16-2005, 12:30 PM
aph453
Freshman User
Cobra, I did confirm it, and sure is welded on there. I didn't know about the one that mounts below the factory one, I'll have to look into that at a different U-Haul dealer or just another brand/place all together.

Adam

Old 05-16-2005, 07:53 PM
boxcar1974
Postmaster
WOW. A welded hitch. I baught my class IV from u-haul and it was about $100 and I installed it myself. It is a great hitch. It is made by draw-tite. One thing that we had a dissagreement on was the lack of hardware that came with the hitch. Even though there was a sticker on the hitch that stated, use hardware kit (some number). They told me that it does not come with the hardware. So I walked out. Drove across the street to Home Depot and baught (8) 1/2 X 3/4 grade 8 bolt and coresponding lock washers and nuts. Went home and installed it in 15 min.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:53 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Welded hitch...never heard of that unless a home grown install.

Have to check my daughter's Escape now.

Old 06-04-2005, 03:29 PM
jdinkel
New User
Originally Posted by boxcar1974
WOW. A welded hitch. I baught my class IV from u-haul and it was about $100 and I installed it myself. It is a great hitch. It is made by draw-tite. One thing that we had a dissagreement on was the lack of hardware that came with the hitch. Even though there was a sticker on the hitch that stated, use hardware kit (some number). They told me that it does not come with the hardware. So I walked out. Drove across the street to Home Depot and baught (8) 1/2 X 3/4 grade 8 bolt and coresponding lock washers and nuts. Went home and installed it in 15 min.
You put a class IV on an Escape?

Old 06-04-2005, 03:48 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
U-Haul was good to us, years ago I found a front wheel tow dolly at my friends rental property, U-Haul wouldn't pick it up then told my friend to go to h*ll. We ground off all numbers, trimmed it to basic, stamped numbers from a New-Way trailer we had then painted. Went to DMV with our New-Way paperwork and licensed the trailer.
.....=o&o>.....