1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Steering box question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 04:22 PM
strato1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering box question

I have a '55 f100 with a really bad steering box. It is very "blocky" (for lack of a better word) as you steer it.

Local bone yard has a 55 F-600 in it. Is that the same box-Would that work?

Also I have a broken leaf spring and unfortunately it is the one with the eyelets in it so its not like I could live without it. Could I scrounge one off that F-600? If not, does any body a spare they want to part with?

Old 05-04-2005, 06:02 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
My advice would be this is a perfect time to put in the Toyota steering box conversion setup either manual or power rather than replacing a worn out 50 year old box based on a 70 year old design with another probably equally as worn 50 year old box. With the F100's the steering column shaft is part of the box so you need to replace it as well. Even if the 600 used the same box, the column may not be the same length, so check it first if you must go that route.
I'd be pretty sure the leaf spring would be much heavier in that truck compared to yours. Your local spring shop should be able to make you a replacement main leaf or else replace both sides with reversed eye main leafs from Mid Fifty et al and lower your front end at the same time.
Earl ought to be along any moment with all the definitive answers complete with pictures and part #s.

Old 05-05-2005, 07:14 AM
Midnite Cruiser
Senior User
I would need to check the shop manual but I dont beleive the F600 steering box is gonna fit, and even if it does, chances are the number of turns lock to lock is much greater (VERY slow steering).
Rebuild kits, sector shafts and all are available. "Earls world" has an a-1 rebuild pictorial on this if you are hepped up on staying original.
That said, I agree with AX-R that the Toysteer conversion is the way to go for a long term trouble free happy steering.
Stock springs are all over the place used if you just want to get back on the road.

Old 05-05-2005, 07:54 AM
strato1
Freshman User
Yes I have so many projects going I'm happy to just get her on the road. I'll lower it maybe over the winter. Anybody have a line on a decent used spring?

Old 05-05-2005, 10:41 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
I'm with AXracer on this one. Getting your leaf stacks rebuilt at a local company is probabably the best bet. I had mine rebuilt and I think it was roughly $125 for both the front stacks. If you can find a set of replacements they will probably have broken leafs also.
You'll probably need new pins and bushings also. The local spring shop should be albe to supply those as well.

I installed the Toyota box in my truck, but due to some interference I had to mount it up in front of the crossmember instead of in the original location. The Toyota box is small and compact, its a nice choice.

Bobby