2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing aftermarket Stereo in truck with Audiophile system

Old 05-03-2005, 03:39 PM
piercede
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing aftermarket Stereo in truck with Audiophile system

I did a search on this topic but couldn't find the answer I was looking for - so sorry if this is a repeat question.

Anyway, my question is, I have a 2005 FX4 SCREW with the 6 disc audiophile system. I am considering putting my old aftermarket deck and 12 disc changer in because of options on the old deck and changer that the 6-disc in dash factory deck doesn't have. Are there any issues with changing out the deck and still having the amp - sub - and all speakers work correctly?

Thanks.

Old 05-04-2005, 08:12 AM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nope just use line level outputs for the factory sub amp. Unless your aftermarket can play MP3, you may be loosing a feature by removing the factory OEM setup! Ford audiophile systems shipped end of 2004 had MP3 capability. It should say it on the front of the OEM unit.

Last edited by KevinM; 05-04-2005 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:39 AM
piercede
Junior User
Thanks for the info. Yeah, the MP3 feature is the reason why I am still hesitating. I love that feature.

I guess the thing that annoys me the most is that the repeat option only repeats the song, where as I would like to have the option to repeat a single cd so it doesn't change on me when the cd is at it's end. Maybe this capability is hidden in the menu's somewhere, but I have yet to find it.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:56 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You would have to be replacing the stereo with a 29 dollar sound system to 'lose' the MP3 function.

95% of CD capable brand name aftermarket heads do MP3....
My 622 Kenwood has so much better sound than any factory unit that I would never consider not swapping it. And the MP3 thing was my most important goal.

Watch that the Ford harness you buy does the 'premium' factory system.
The first harness I bought, from Circuit City, does not do the premium system, only the basic. This cost 18.00. The one I got from Wall-Mart for 6.95 does the premium connections.
Also check out their single stereo mount. I have a selection of in dash mounts and for a single din the Scoschc is much better looking.
Chris

Old 05-04-2005, 01:30 PM
piercede
Junior User
Thanks again for the further info. I actually think my aftermarket stereo does not play MP3's, it is fairly old, I have had it since about 2001 I think. I just really like the setup and it has the right connection for the 12 disc changer.

Maybe it is time to buy a new deck with MP3!! My birthday is just around the corner - sound like a good gift from the wife to me!

Old 05-04-2005, 01:44 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Sounds like a great excuse to upgrade!!
I found some fantastic sounding Kenwood stuff on E-bay for less than 100, brand new, with shipping. I bought one, a 225 model, for 90.00, from an e-bay vendor. Retail pack, factory warranty, and half the local shops (Best Buy, Fry's) price. Really great sound, but I couldn't use it! No dimmer function. Be sure any head unit you get has the night dimming function.

I swapped it straight up for a 622 Kenwood, which I love. It has more dim/color/lighting choices than you can imagine.

The dimming thing being a problem is because our trucks mount the radio up high, in the drivers line of sight. On anything with a large LCD panel front, you have to be able to either shut off the display, or dim it at night. A bright blue three inch rectangle mounted just below eye level doesn't get it at night...
I also eventually swapped the 25 watt Ford speakers for some economical Pioneers. You should have better stock speakers, so this wouldn't be an issue with your truck.

The radio swap requires a total tool count of 1 7mm socket, or nut driver.
Chris

Old 05-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Truckasaurus
Senior User
I have to admit here that while the factory audiophile systems are nice for most, I was glad I did not pay for it in my truck. I added an aftermarket kenwood mp3 deck, infinity kappa front speakers, kenwood rears and two 10" subs under the rear seat. Two amps run the whole set up and it is as good as any system I have wired before in a car. I did the whole thing for about $700.

Fortunatley, so much of the F150's trim panels are snap on style that it made installation a breeze. The hardest thing I had to do was get that darn rear seat out, but eventually I figured it out!

T

Old 05-05-2005, 10:04 AM
les017
Senior User
Originally Posted by piercede
... that the repeat option only repeats the song, where as I would like to have the option to repeat a single cd so it doesn't change on me when the cd is at it's end. Maybe this capability is hidden in the menu's somewhere, but I have yet to find it.
I have found that if you are paying attention you can catch this manually with steering wheel controls. Just before the last song ends do a skip forward. This will start that same CD from the begining instead of starting from the begining of the next CD.

Old 05-05-2005, 01:32 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile

I think only Lariats have the wheel controls for radio, temp, etc. FX4s just have cruise buttons.

Old 05-06-2005, 11:38 PM
transam396
Senior User
hey chris i've been looking at some of yours and others pics and would it be possible to flip the mount so that the pocket is at the top and the radio is further down ? curious if that would help with the glare issues any

Old 05-06-2005, 11:48 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
transam396, Sorry not really, they are indexed to fit only one way. You can use the Crutchfield unit, either the two din or the one with the pocket, removing the pocket, and mount the stereo in the bottom half, but then you have to find someway to block of the top.

Not really worth the work, as I have my Kenwood in the bottom of the two din mount today, with the monitor on the top. The difference isn't enough to overcome any brightness problem.

Good news is 90% of name brand units dim.

By the way transam396, do you have a rat in a poncho? Just curious.
Chris

Old 06-09-2005, 08:24 PM
dynocompe
Senior User
can someone tell me how to hook up my factory sub to my aftermarket deck, i got the RCA converter, but what wires do i connect it too?

Old 06-10-2005, 12:27 AM
transam396
Senior User
Chris, several yrs ago I had a 80 transam with a 301 and had ran up on a 396 block for cheap was gonna build it until I found out how expensive it was gonna be. it was during this timeframe that I made up this screen name and have been using it every since. oh by the way , you seem to be a kenwood fan was wondering if u have had any experience with there factory refurb'd units I have found what seem to be some prettygood prices but not sure if they will hold up. should be getting my door speakers and amps and sub in the truck this saturday now it's time to start looking for a decent mp3 capable headunit that will match my or be close to my lighting on my dash ( I like things to blend) looking in the 100-200 dollar range anysuggestions would be helpful as well aswhat to stay away from

Old 06-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
My 04 Lariat was built 8-04 and has the audiophile system.I just went out and checked to see if it said MP3 anywhere on it and it does not.It does have an AUX button beside the Menu button.Does anyone know what this is for?Thanks!

Old 06-10-2005, 01:12 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by transam396
Chris, several yrs ago I had a 80 transam with a 301 and had ran up on a 396 block for cheap was gonna build it until I found out how expensive it was gonna be. it was during this timeframe that I made up this screen name and have been using it every since. oh by the way , you seem to be a kenwood fan was wondering if u have had any experience with there factory refurb'd units I have found what seem to be some prettygood prices but not sure if they will hold up. should be getting my door speakers and amps and sub in the truck this saturday now it's time to start looking for a decent mp3 capable headunit that will match my or be close to my lighting on my dash ( I like things to blend) looking in the 100-200 dollar range anysuggestions would be helpful as well aswhat to stay away from
On the Rat into Poncho thing, we put a 427 with a tri-power in a 68 bird (That was in 74, if I recall) Nice ride, Muncie Rockcrusher behind it. I've had several Firebirds, never cared for the durability of the motors. A big rat was a nice improvement. One of those things you wish you had never sold, years later...

OK, on the Kenwood, most 'refurbished' are just plain used, but used lightly. Usually means the buyer changed his mind, etc. in the first 90 days. There are some good bargains to be found that way.

I cheated on the light color thing. The 622 Kenwood has a cool feature in its display. It can be any color, or cycle through colors etc. I think it lists 256 colors, never counted them LOL.
Most of the time I have it set in an orange color scheme to match my ScanGauge. Although some times I move it to bright green,blue, red etc, just to match my mood. It's a silly 'toy' feature that I am surprised I enjoy so much. Bling bling to the max.

Taking a little time, you can get many nice Kenwoods (or other good brands) new from real vendors on E-bay. Remember, many very small to large retailers use E-bay as a sorta super store. When you look there, don't forget to look at the ones from E-bay 'stores'. Most electronics can be had pretty cheap there.

Watch out for 'off brands'. Might be good, might not. You are almost always better going with the name brands. If you see a unit you think you might want, just cut it's name and paste it into google, then add the word review and do a search. Fast quick way to get dozens of opinions on any head unit in minutes.

Good luck
Chris