Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Interesting projects?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 11:59 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting projects?

Anybody working on there trucks lately? Any mods, fixes, projects, oil changes, etc.? Come on, I want to hear what Virginians are up too

Old 05-14-2005, 12:30 AM
fordguy21
Senior User
Will be oil change time soon, also will flush brake fluid as the old stuff is looking abit blackish.

ALso I clean the inside of my truck (clean all the plastic/viynl,vacuem carpet and seats, wash windows, etc.) about every other week, wash truck once a month or when needed, wax when it looks like it needs it, just a bunch of preventive maintance.

Old 05-14-2005, 02:03 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
I don't even know how to spell the word kleene I figure a couple more rain storms, and the numbers from the drag race will rinse off

I bought a welder, so today i put a 2" long tack weld on my exhuast. Oil change today, new serp. belt, check my plugs, top off coolant. Still messing with that electrical bug

I got the body off the '78, nothing but open, rolling chassis. Projects kinda stalled, need a cutting torch to knock the spring hangers off. Have to get rid of 15 gallons of 1 month old gas so I can drop the tank and remove the fuel lines. Know anyone that needs mower gas? Need to start thinking about what needs to be ordered to start the rust removal and painting. Taking it apart was free, now comes the $$$$$

How do you go about flushing the brake fluid? I've bled lines, but never the whole system.

Old 05-14-2005, 02:27 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 846 Likes on 765 Posts
I'm checking over my 86 for its a trip back to NY, hauling the trailer with a nice 89 Crown Vic on it. Then we will do some wiring on my son's 66, then get an engine in the 70. That's after I get finished spackling, sanding, priming, painting and hanging cabinets in the kitchen.

Old 05-16-2005, 12:06 AM
soulpatchfr
Junior User
Steve, you're a man that i can get along with... my truck has been washed once in the last 3 or 4 years, and that was last month!

Interesting projects? not really - tire rotation time again (can't believe i put 10k on them already!). does the addition of some new LED side marker lights count? how about a new CB install?
You say you bought a welder??? i can create PLENTY of interesting projects for you (& i'm just down the road from you)...

Can't help you with the brakes, but i do need some mower gas.
Oh - that '78 is HOT. i want to see a 7.3 diesel in it!

Old 05-16-2005, 10:13 AM
1sick76
New User
Thumbs up Projects.......

Well, lets see. Rebuilt the heads on the 76. New intake, valve seals, springs and pushrods. The nice t-storms we got yesterday put my schedule yet another day behind. Started rebuilding the carb. If I could get a hold of who ever designed the Holley 4160 I have a few "choice" words for him. I have pretty much completed the repairs to the top end of the truck. Thank god for lift kits. It just makes changing the oil while sitting "Indian Style" under the truck so much nicer. If anybody has mastered the art of carburetor overhaul please feel free to stop by. Take it easy or don't take it at all.

Old 05-16-2005, 07:41 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
I can just sit up under my truck, which has made it cake taking the body off. Theres to much tire and 460 up front to sit up, but the solid axle makes for a nice head rest when wrenching up front

Man, its great to hear you guys work on your trucks. I feel bad for the people who can't do something as simple as an oil change.

Thanks for compliment SoulPatchfr The truck is sweet, powerful, and rusty. I wanted to put a PowerStroke in it, but time is money, and money takes time, which is something I don't really have with this truck. I want it back on the road. . .ASAP. Everything from the frame down will be rebuilt or reconditioned, and the body will be good enough to get inspected, and finished while I drive it. Plus, I'm saving the PS for a Highboy crewcab project for after college when I have a good paying career job

Thats the reason i bought the welder, though it was only affordable becuase my uncle hooked me up (professional welder). I don't mind helping with some projects, but mine come first, and I'm still learning, and I really need a gas bottle As for gas, come on over this weekend (after the cook out) or sometime early next week, I have 23-25 off, and bring a can

BTW, can anyone recommend a shop to sand blast my truck frame?

Old 05-17-2005, 06:34 AM
1sick76
New User
Smile Welding and stuff

Frank-
Just a bit of advice. When you get the gas bottle for your welder go to National Welders supply on Bainbridge Ave. in South Norfolk. They have a good plan for buying/filling bottles. I don't recommend getting itno a rental deal for a bottle. Additionally you can run flux cored wire without gas on most machines the only thing that would be lacking is the cleanliness of the welds. I work for a world class welding outfit here in Chesapeake so if there is anything you need let me know. If you already know all of this stuff I apologize I just don't want this stuff to slow you down.

Old 05-17-2005, 09:42 AM
bob hare
Senior User
bottle renting and sandblasting

Hey all,
It sure has been awhile since I've posted, but I've been lurking about

I agree on buying the bottle vice renting/leasing them. Also, there is a National Welders Supply on Va Beach Blvd in Norfolk. I was there a few months ago looking at trading in my smaller torch bottles for a larger set, and they were extremely helpful. There is a sandblasting company out near NAS Oceana, I haven't used them though.

Bob

Old 05-17-2005, 10:46 AM
1sick76
New User
Sandblasting

Although I have not put it to work yet, Harbor Freight on Military Highway sells portable sandblast rigs that you can use with your air compressor. The good thing about those is if you sort out the big pebbles you can use the play box sand sold at Home Depot for 99 cents a bag instead of the glass bead stuff you buy for a whole lot more. This is all unproven information. If it works I could not even begin to tell you.

Old 05-17-2005, 10:49 AM
bob hare
Senior User
Well my streetrod '34 truck project is still ongoing..... I finished plumbing the brake and fuel lines last week, and I've got my cab and doors at the body shop getting the cab straight and painted. I'm getting ready to powdercoat my valve covers and intake this week, so I can get the engine back together. Of course the wife has her own task list that MUST be accomplished, so I try to alternate between projects.

Bob

Old 05-17-2005, 10:53 AM
bob hare
Senior User
pressurized sandblaster

All,
I've got one of those "cheapie" pressurized sandblasters if anybody wants to borrow it. I've only used it once, and it one heck of a mess. I found most items I needed to blast were under 4 foot long, so I built a large blasting cabinet.

Bob

Old 05-17-2005, 10:58 AM
1sick76
New User
Honey Do

Bob,
Its funny how the honey do list seems to be of the utmost importance. I just can't seem to figure out a way around it. She tells me she loves the truck but when it comes time to do anything with it my events coordinator has other plans? Some day I will figure it out. Until then no body knows when my truck will get wrapped up.

Old 05-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Thanks for the advice guys, but I already bought a bottle off of Evil Bay, $80 to my door. Needs inspection and filled, 20lb aluminum jobber. Theres a welding supply shop 2 minutes from my house, but they wanted $170 for a new bottle, filled I have tried to get to National Welders down there by Ingleside rd a couple times, even earlier then 4:30 pm. Always closed, gates locked and chained, and doors locked. Can't get there any earlier, though I have dealt with them when I used to run bottles at another job.

1sick76, where out in chesapeake do you work? Ever heard of "O'neals Welding" (I think thats what its called)? What do you do with scrap metal? Would your boss sell me some scraps for practice/using?

I thought about DIY sandblasting but have to pass. Have to do it in the back yard (neihbors(?) are complainers), messy like you said, and from what I hear can be dangerous for your health if you breath that stuff.

I'm still surprised there this many folks out there that do this kind of stuff, and so local to boot! Plenty of people just down the road that I can pick there brains

Old 05-18-2005, 01:29 AM
soulpatchfr
Junior User
a welder is my next major tool purchase (bachelorhood has a few benefits ). i was really impressed with the service & assistance at Arcet (Euclid Rd, just off VB Blvd near Witchduck in VB / a Lincoln dealer) when i was shopping around... check them out, Steve.
Sick - i will be bugging you for advice soon, as i know next to nothing, but need to learn (anyone ever bought a rustbucket '79 Scout II for $200?).

sandblasting? i have a smaller cabinet than Bob. a Northern job, but it works for me. i did have decent results with a cup-shaped wire brush on my DeWalt grinder when i repainted my bed recently - maybe that would work on the frame? tedious, but not as bad as you'd think. i bet a couple of guys could strip that frame in a few hours now that it's "naked"... 'course i'm just thinking out loud... how much beer do you have at home, anyway?

since your original "anybody working on their trucks lately" question ignores the bulk of our "to do" lists, i won't bring up the '66 Riviera i need to get out of the garage & on the road...

Frank