Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Any Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 12:02 PM
V10X
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Suggestions

I just became a new V-10 Excursion owner. I work at a salvage yard and came across an awesome deal on this 2000 Excursion with a bad engine. I can buy a used engine for 1700 with 75k or 1500 with 94k. Just wanted to know if anyone has any other suggestions on cheap long blocks or anything else. Of course I am trying to get out with the best bang for the buck. I am just ready to put this engine in so I can get this beast on the road. Also according to my computer the block is different from an 02+. Can these be used? What modifcations are required? Everything but the block and the timing cover show to be the same for all years (of course heads were improved in 02 but still fit all years.) The X has 95k on it and is locked up. My mechanic has not got it out yet to find out what broke. Being new to these is there any common things to watch out for? Is that used one with 94K going to be on its last leg already? I know freak things happen, and from what I have read these should be good for a long time if taken care of. Thanks

Old 05-12-2005, 12:33 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wecome to the site and some guys with more V10 smarts than I have will be around to give you more advice. I know the 00 and newer motors make more power than the earlier
V10s and with all the computer stuff on these newer vehicles an engine swap is not as simple as it was when I was a boy. Good luck . Wrenchtraveller.

Old 05-12-2005, 03:07 PM
V10X
New User
I just found the one I think I am going to go for. Its out of a 00 F350 so the power ratings will be the same and the engine only has 68K. I can get this to my door for 1500. I think I am going to order this on Monday unless someone comes up with something better.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:21 PM
captchas
good luck with getting that truck back on the road.i can tell from your words you already have a bseg. enjoy

Old 05-13-2005, 09:31 AM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by V10X
I just found the one I think I am going to go for. Its out of a 00 F350 so the power ratings will be the same and the engine only has 68K. I can get this to my door for 1500. I think I am going to order this on Monday unless someone comes up with something better.
Have you figured out what is 'locked up' in the old motor ? Crank bearing ? Rod bearing ? There was a motorhome owner here awhile ago who ran their oil low and went double the miles for an oil change, I believe they spun a bearing. I still question if the low oil was really the cause, but regardless, they had a damaged engine. If your heads are in good shape it may be interesting to have some work done on them ? Extrude honed ? Ported ? Cams reprofiled ? See where I'm going ? Or maybe one of the hotrodders here would like to experiment with some of your extra parts to see if they could get those bad boy heads to really flow!. Good luck, post when you get the engine in and whatever else you decide to do. That X is an awesome rig, I'd love one except there isn't enough seating for me, yea, really.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:21 AM
V10X
New User
My buddy has not torn down that engine to find out what happened yet. He is afraid for whatever reason that the engine lost oil pressure. I am new to these, but from what he told me the instant these engines lose oil pressure since there are no cam bearings the heads are junk. I will keep ya'll updated on what extra parts I come up with.

Old 05-13-2005, 02:11 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
V10X

I beeen trying to tellin folks for 5 years to pay real close attention to lube and schedule.

Funny thing about motors that use the aluminum as the bearing... taint not tolerence for heavy lube or dirty crap....

There are five rotating assemblies in these bad boys and they all run in aluminum including the crank!