6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Durability of the 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 09:34 AM
5x5F150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jesus said he who has not faults cast the first stone....

Originally Posted by Big Dually
This sounds fishy, all these problems should be covered by warranty. I cannot see a dealer stating that 3 tranny replacements, pwr steering pump, head gaskets and $7k in other expenses comes down to a air filter.

So you have two friends that have had issues and you probably read other posts here, that ford 6.0 have issues. And base this on all Fords are not built "Ford Tough" Well, if that's true, then I should rip out my trouble free 6.0 and drop in a Toyota four banger, I hear those are reliable.......
Only the head gaskets were blamed on the filter. And you're correct all the problems should have been covered, but like i said ford is finding any reason they can to not warranty the truckAnyway don't get your panties in a bunch, 13MWZ was asking for everyone's opinion. This is mine. And btw Toyota is apparantly building a diesel full size in conjunctin with Mercedes to compete with the ford and dodge dynasty (this was a rumor i was told please don't take it as gospel or stone me again). If that's the case, they will have no problems selling to a lot of Ford and Dodge ex-enthusiasts, due to both of their "new and improved diesels". I'm not saying Fords are s#*t or go out and buy ANYTHING else, only that until it can be proven that Ford has fixed the issues surrounding the 6l, I will keep my 7.3l and spend the money that would normally go into repairs on the 6l on fun items like a banks stage 3 turbo kit and nitro and propane injection. I imagine if you are looking for a lifted caddy, to cruise around the city, where the only offroad it sees is a driveway then the problems might not show up as quick as they have with the people i know.

Last edited by 5x5F150; 05-03-2005 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Big Dually
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by t_j82
Bedwards,

It is a roll of the dice with these new 6.0's the question is..... Do you feel lucky today??? Well, do you? (fade out clint eastwoods voice)
18.650 trouble free miles, and one hell of a roll of the dice for me! I had an 02, Crew Cab, Dually, 4X2, V-10 and my new 04, Crew Cab, Dually, 4X4, PSD is awsome, good speed, lots of power. Yes, I feel lucky. What trips me out about some of you guy's that have issues is. You come here blast everyone that has a PSD, because of your bad experience and want to remind us every day, that we made a mistake. And we are all wrong and driving the worst truck with the worst engine. I say to all of you, get over it, sell the truck and stop whining. Go buy a Chevy, Toyota, Nissan or a Dodge and amuse everyone on those forums. For those of you that have issues and want to get your truck fixed and still own the truck and come here to look for answers. While it is normal to gripe when you buy an expensive truck and have problems, it's another to try and get everyone stirred up and talk smack. This is a great site for information. Hopefully you can get your issues resolved the right way. There are lots of good people here willing to share information.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:01 AM
DHochman
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 5x5F150
Only the head gaskets were blamed on the filter. And you're correct all the problems should have been covered, but like i said ford is finding any reason they can to not warranty the truckAnyway don't get your panties in a bunch, 13MWZ was asking for everyone's opinion. This is mine. And btw Toyota is apparantly building a diesel full size in conjunctin with Mercedes to compete with the ford and dodge dynasty (this was a rumor i was told please don't take it as gospel or stone me again). If that's the case, they will have no problems selling to a lot of Ford and Dodge ex-enthusiasts, due to both of their "new and improved diesels". I'm not saying Fords are s#*t or go out and buy ANYTHING else, only that until it can be proven that Ford has fixed the issues surrounding the 6l, I will keep my 7.3l and spend the money that would normally go into repairs on the 6l on fun items like a banks stage 3 turbo kit and nitro and propane injection. I imagine if you are looking for a lifted caddy, to cruise around the city, where the only offroad it sees is a driveway then the problems might not show up as quick as they have with the people i know.
It seems the modified 6.0 is the primary problem on this board, although I know guys running chips and they dont seem to have any problems. Every person I have talked to face to face with the 6.0 has had no complaints. In fact they all love there truck. Some have had minor troubles each that has been corrected by Ford. The list of people I have spoke to about it is fairly extensive. I ask everyone I come incontact with, "So, how do you like the 6.0?" I do this anywhere and everywhere I go. I am sure there have been a few lemons I just havent met any one that owns one face to face. My Ford mechanic also speeks highly of them and this dealership sells nothing but superduties and up. Like I said my 03 has been nothing but a pleasure.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:11 AM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While the engine management systems on the 6.0 is somewhat poor, the internal hardware is second to none (in a stock truck). The shear abuse they will take without physically breaking is remarkable.

The 6.0 design isn't going anywhere- while it will be drastically changed within a year from now, the base design will remain the same. Don't go looking for it to disappear anytime soon, even despite the critism (which seems to be localized far worse here at FTE than anywhere else).

Old 05-03-2005, 10:25 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by KurtNJr
Don't expect great mileage on a 05 - it isn't going to happen! Truck handles great and pulls like a champ and fun to drive. Who knows how long it will go before something breaks? Apparently there is some good reason Ford is going to change the engine - wish I knew what it really is. Drive them all and then spend YOUR money on what makes YOU happy.
The reason Ford is changing the motor is posted right above you. Very few people have spent the money on Ford trucks that I have. I have bought 8 brand new expensive Ford pickups over the last 30 years. I look after them , do all the servicing myself, and trade them in when something new and better comes along. When the PSDs came out in 95 with more power and higher tow ratings than gas, I bought a 95 7.3. Great truck , great motor. The SD s came out I bought a 2000 7.3 , same thing, great motor. Then in 04 I gambled on a new 6.0 and right away I realized it was a mistake. The 6.0 is much harder on fuel than the 7.3s. I was not happy with a 20% drop in fuel economy but yes the 6.0 has more power but it is not a relaxing type of power. You have a real dead pedal until the turbo spools up and then it is like a dam bursting. I much preferred the drivability of the 7.3s. Anyway these things I could live with but when I got stranded on the road twice and got hauled in by two different drivers and were told by both how good the 6.0 has been for their business. They haul them all the time and to add salt to the wound, both haul trucks were powered by the venerable 7.3 that gave the PSD its reputation. To call a 6.0 a PSD is a travesty in my opinion. I always warmed mine up and cooled her down and at 8000 miles when a soloniod in my turbo failed, the Ford tech that worked on my truck saw signs of wear and wanted to replace that turbo. Ford Warranty said NO, just do the minimum to get the truck running. Will the new 07 have this same high failure turbo on it that is costing Ford mega mega bucks...........absolutely not. Ford is hoping to get these 6.0s off warranty and letting the owner deal with a 4000 dollar cost to replace that turbo. Any way I could go on for many more paragraphs about this turbo. Oh yeah and mine was their improved 04 Turbo with more vanes than the 03. In 07 there making the real improvement, completely scrapping the worthless POS..........But the true believers will tell you in their most sincere manner " It is for emmision reasons" absolute bunk and those who want to see this proof in writing... Oh yes Ford is going to come clean and tell the customer they are going to continue selling garbage until the new motor is available. That is not good for business. Anyway on closing I want to say I like the Ford SD and I dumped my 6.0 and bought the truck in my sig. So far I love the V10 and I won't say I'll never buy another diesel but I will say you couldn't even give me aother 6.0 Wrenchtraveller.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:55 AM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wrenchtraveller
The reason Ford is changing the motor is posted right above you. Very few people have spent the money on Ford trucks that I have. I have bought 8 brand new expensive Ford pickups over the last 30 years. I look after them , do all the servicing myself, and trade them in when something new and better comes along. When the PSDs came out in 95 with more power and higher tow ratings than gas, I bought a 95 7.3. Great truck , great motor. The SD s came out I bought a 2000 7.3 , same thing, great motor. Then in 04 I gambled on a new 6.0 and right away I realized it was a mistake. The 6.0 is much harder on fuel than the 7.3s. I was not happy with a 20% drop in fuel economy but yes the 6.0 has more power but it is not a relaxing type of power. You have a real dead pedal until the turbo spools up and then it is like a dam bursting. I much preferred the drivability of the 7.3s. Anyway these things I could live with but when I got stranded on the road twice and got hauled in by two different drivers and were told by both how good the 6.0 has been for their business. They haul them all the time and to add salt to the wound, both haul trucks were powered by the venerable 7.3 that gave the PSD its reputation. To call a 6.0 a PSD is a travesty in my opinion. I always warmed mine up and cooled her down and at 8000 miles when a soloniod in my turbo failed, the Ford tech that worked on my truck saw signs of wear and wanted to replace that turbo. Ford Warranty said NO, just do the minimum to get the truck running. Will the new 07 have this same high failure turbo on it that is costing Ford mega mega bucks...........absolutely not. Ford is hoping to get these 6.0s off warranty and letting the owner deal with a 4000 dollar cost to replace that turbo. Any way I could go on for many more paragraphs about this turbo. Oh yeah and mine was their improved 04 Turbo with more vanes than the 03. In 07 there making the real improvement, completely scrapping the worthless POS..........But the true believers will tell you in their most sincere manner " It is for emmision reasons" absolute bunk and those who want to see this proof in writing... Oh yes Ford is going to come clean and tell the customer they are going to continue selling garbage until the new motor is available. That is not good for business. Anyway on closing I want to say I like the Ford SD and I dumped my 6.0 and bought the truck in my sig. So far I love the V10 and I won't say I'll never buy another diesel but I will say you couldn't even give me aother 6.0 Wrenchtraveller.
Where does this garbage information coming from? As bad as you might hate to hear it, the "6.0" design is not leaving- it is being revamped, redesigned, improved, and gaining displacement- its not being "completely scrapped". Nothing personal, but that attitude removes any validity from the post, IMO.

There is no point. Mindless, generalized, exaggerated blanket statements do nothing.

Last edited by PSD 60L Fx4; 05-03-2005 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:57 AM
bedwards
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by t_j82
Bedwards,
Then let me give you a first hand story.... I would NEVER own another 6.0 and in fact my '05 was so bad that I just traded it at a loss to get the heck away from it! Ford customer service in non-existant by any stretch of the imagination and once you buy they could care less about you which has been the experience of myself and many others. It is sad when the area rep calls you and tells you that the dealer will not touch your truck again, not even for normal service..... Save the money and buy a 7.3! Should have NEVER traded my '02 away.

It is a roll of the dice with these new 6.0's the question is..... Do you feel lucky today??? Well, do you? (fade out clint eastwoods voice)
Well, I have read your entire story and I must admit, its a strange one. I personally have a good relationship with my dealer and his head mechanic (whom I consulted before buying my 6.0). I have found that there are a lot of people who cannot be made happy no matter what is done. The uncooperative find problems in everyday interaction with others and thrill in spreading their unhappiness to others. To each his own. I merely stated that I have enjoyed mine and I enjoy conversing with others on the forums that do. Each forum I read has its share of naysayers who darken the overall good intent of the information shared. While this reply may seem rambling, its merely because I'm trying not to descend to the level some do to make my opinion known.

Have a nice day
BE

Old 05-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Cool

Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
Where does this garbage information coming from? As bad as you might hate to hear it, the "6.0" design is not leaving- it is being revamped, redesigned, improved, and gaining displacement- its not being "completely scrapped". Nothing personal, but that attitude removes any validity from the post, IMO.

There is no point. Mindless, generalized, exaggerated blanket statements do nothing.
If your reading skills were a little better you would see I am talking about the
Turbo being scrapped.

Old 05-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Customz
Postmaster
"If your reading skills were a little better you would see I am talking about the Turbo being scrapped."- Wrenchtraveller

Rambling, emotional posts ARE hard to read and follow...

Personal attacks are unnecessary and will not be tolerated on this forum.

Besides, when PSD 60L Fx4 gets through with college...Watch Out!

Old 05-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Grizz49
Senior User
Smile Supporting Our Troops

13MWZ,

As you can see by the responses the FTE crowd is a great bunch of people, I picked up my new F-250 CC 4x4 6.0 PSD on Saturday Morning, and it is one awesome truck. My wife had get on the Cell and asked me to please come home
and do a little driving the nexted day. We LOVE OUR FORD TRUCKS.

And WE 100% SUPPORT OUR TROOPS 13MWZ, you ask away the guys we fill in the blanks. And you do us a favor. Be Safe and God Speed..

Old 05-03-2005, 12:50 PM
glafond
Mountain Pass
If you have any questions about the durability of the 6.0
check the thread "1350 Max EGT?"!!!

Last edited by glafond; 05-03-2005 at 12:51 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-03-2005, 01:13 PM
5x5F150
Senior User
Thanks for your support wrench traveller. it seemed like no one was going to believe me because i wasn't brave enough to buy a 6l

Old 05-03-2005, 06:21 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
There will be NO personal attacks here…PERIOD