Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

the wonders of the bureaucracy...

Old 05-01-2005, 09:04 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the wonders of the bureaucracy...

Well, getting around is going to be a bit tricky and or risky for a bit, because the state of Misery has deemed it necessary to pull my license for not making an agreement to catch up my chuild support. Let's see, no income, wife's full time in college, and has a part time sales job that has no set hours and no set payment, and I can't find an employer that is willing to put up with my back troubles and insurance risk, and they think I should be able to set a payment schedule? The person handling my case said that even if I made an agreement, if I didn't keep it, I would lose my license anyway! The state of Iowa is working with me, why can't these idiots? I can't wait until we get moved out of here, but unfortunately, that is going to be a while... I have no issue whatever with paying child support, but if the child was under my roof with me, the support financially I would be giving right now isn't much, so then the payment shouldn't be either.... doesn't seem to matter.

Old 05-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's crazy and stupid. That's like taking away my legs and expecting me to keep working at Fareway.

Yeah..get back up here to Iowa. It's safe here =).

Old 05-02-2005, 11:54 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Yeah well, it wouldn't be the first time I had to go without a license, Iowa took it last time... but then, 7 tickets in one year might be a good reason... the secret to success to driving without a license is don't be stupid, drive right, and be damn sure you don't get tangled up with a stupid driver, defensive driving is key. I'll stop at that, not saying I'd do anything like that....

<<< tries to look innocent....

Old 05-02-2005, 11:58 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah child support systems really need revamped, I went through a lot of stuff like when I first moved to Iowa I told WA were I was at, and under federal law I was supposed to send my child support to Iowa, and they would send it on, so I did 3 months later the state of WA sends me a notice they are gonna start garnishing my check (which my employer stated he would fire me over so straighten it out) well after several phone calls to WA, and then to Iowa and proving I had sent the checks we find out it's sitting on someone's desk in DesMoines fine all straight then 4 months later they issue a arrest warrent for me, so I started calling around again, and found out once again it was sitting in DesMoines after that the lady in WA told Iowa I didn't owe it anymore, and to drop it andlet me send it straight out to them viola no more problems

Old 05-02-2005, 04:40 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
I used to fight with Iowa child support when it first got going, the South Dakota order said nothing of paying through Iowa, so I was paying direct, well it took a while to get that straightened out. When I was able to prove I had paid it, they wouldn't give it back, they told me they would credit to the end of my obligation, which would come in 15 years at that point! Well a little later, they tell me I was behind on payments. I was already garnished, (I was told it was no big deal, it was standard procedure anymore, but I still didn't like it!!) so how could I be behind, they set the amount, and I hadn't missed any work! I did the figures and the amount came up to what it was supposed to be. I was getting paid bi-weekly, so I got paid twice a month generally, but every once in a while, I would get a third check in a month. They were figuring what my monthly was and only that, did not do the math to see what I should have paid so far, as I had not had that third check yet, so it appeared I was behind. They sent me threatening letters, saying I was behind, and I sent them the payment schedule and explaining that I was on biweekly pay, and that it would look low until I got that 3rd check. This went on for a while, and the stupid #%&^* STILL raised the amount of garnishment. About 6 months later, they send me a letter stating I had OVERPAID!!! IMAGINE THAT!!! So then they wanted to know what I wanted to do with the overpayment. Well, not trusting the non-mathematical geniuses, I told them to just credit the account, because I figured they would screw it up again. They sent me a check!!! Must be a requirement to be stupid to work in those offices. (I dealt with more than one division because my ex kept moving)

Last edited by fellro86; 05-02-2005 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fellro86
Yeah well, it wouldn't be the first time I had to go without a license, Iowa took it last time... but then, 7 tickets in one year might be a good reason... the secret to success to driving without a license is don't be stupid, drive right, and be damn sure you don't get tangled up with a stupid driver, defensive driving is key. I'll stop at that, not saying I'd do anything like that....

<<< tries to look innocent....
That, and make sure all lights are working =).

Old 05-02-2005, 06:16 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
I generally try to, I don't like giving an excuse for pulling me over, I learned that back in High schooll, and tech school. I got stopped once when I came home from tech school for the weekend. I had a little piece out of my tail light on a 76 Monte I had rebuilt. When I bought the car, a rolling chassis for $75, it was green with a white vinyl top. When I got it all put together, I had repainted it a metallic blue. I even had the registration changed to match the color I painted it when I got the title. Well, this local town cop pulls me over, goes through the registration, VIN and everything, never tells me WHY he stopped me, but comments "I've never seen you drive this car in this color" I didn't say it, but I thought it, You never saw me drive it in any other color, because the motor was put in AFTER the car was repainted...

Old 05-02-2005, 07:20 PM
69 and 85
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear of the PITA from misery. y, there's a lot of stupidity in how these things are run and enforced... unfortunately that is pretty much rampant through out most states.

Old 05-02-2005, 08:28 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Yeah, my disability lawyer thinks that in order to get a job in those offices it requires a single parent that has been screwed over so many times that they just assume every noncustodial parent is a lying SOB...

Old 05-02-2005, 10:10 PM
nogo73
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to hear about that. I know the whole system is a joke everyone I know that deals with it has problems with(<- not including paying to it)Iowa DHS is a joke a wellfare job that over pays its idoit empolyees

Search this Thread