1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Your ideal garage

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 11:12 PM
don1077
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your ideal garage

It's been a busy week here. I'll be moving in a couple of weeks. The wife is going nuts about the new house but me I got a garage to build. I've got a compressor and every air tool on the planet. I plan on doing another off frame build soon. I do build engines. If you were putting a shop togather what are your got to haves? Considering a resedential site what size would you want?

Don

Old 05-01-2005, 03:36 AM
pcmenten
Posting Guru
I live on and acre and I have room for a shop that's pretty good sized. I'm going to build a three plus car shop, maybe 24x40. The plus is for storage for my wife to use.

I'm going to make sure there's enough headroom to have a lift in at least one of the bays. I'd like to have a skylight, and plenty of lighting. And plumbing for compressed air and for a sink. Insulated walls to keep it cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I want to paint in one of the stalls.

I'd like to have an outside area for washing greasy engines. I'd like to have my air compressor be outside so I don't have to listen to it. I want to pour the floor with the concrete that doesn't crack so I can move engine stands with engines on them without having to deal with floor cracks.

I don't think what I'm wanting is going to be expensive, just a lot of details.

Old 05-01-2005, 09:20 AM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
after several garages in my lifetime, I've learned onething, come up with a plan 0f what ever you think you will need and double it and you may be close........my next ideal garage will have a janitor and a bartender.......and the dreams continue

Old 05-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Myself.. it is 20 x 40 3 bays and a work area. and all drive thru setups.. Lots of skylites and windows. Forces fresh air circulation, And a good way to heat and cool it.. Lots of power outlets, And at least 220V at each end of the building.. A Emergency showers is always a good idea, Or at least a eye wash station.. ( U may think Im crazy but the 1st time U need it you will be happy ) A good size Air compressure, And a wet bar ..

Old 05-01-2005, 10:17 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Don,

I'd want it at least 26x28 and preferably 26x32 with one single 16-18 foot door. Make sure the door opens to clear at least 7 feet since most old original trucks are about 6' 9'. This gives you room to park two cars or trucks, room to work around them, room on the sides for shelves, and room at the end for a workbench. Plan on having overhead florescent lights about every 6 feet and 110V plugs about every 10 feet. Plan on a 220V plug on each end of the garage. I did my own wiring and installed outlets in the ceiling into which I can plug in the el cheapo 48 inch florescent shop lights from Wally World. Just unplug and discard them if they stop working and hang a new unit for about 8 bucks. A laundry sink and bathroom in one corner would be a nice addition, but that was beyond my reach.

Vern

Old 05-01-2005, 11:42 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
We'd all like a 6 bay Morton building with all the fixins, but that's not one of the choices for most of us.

When I built my first garage, I was advised 26 deep is the minimum for a guy that's going to be living out there. With a 22 or 24 deep you have to keep the walls empty unless you only work on compacts. I never regretted it. The standards these days is a 300 square house and a garage thats too short.

26 deep by 24 is a minimum. It's what I have. More is better. I have to keep the place tidy to operate (now that's a good one) If they did a movie of me working on the truck it would probably be titled.

"Dances with Airhoses"

Old 05-01-2005, 02:27 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
This is what I did to my garage when I was making my list.
  1. I think every garage should have a heated floor, it makes the work much more enjoyable and easier on the joints.
  2. A sink with hot and cold water, it is great to be able to wash up and not get the sink in the house dirty. The sink is also good fro rinsing off parts after you have cleaned them.
  3. Lots of lights, I put in four, of the overhead two bulb flourescent 4 foot hanging fixtures initially. The garage is 24 x 30. I put another two on each side of the bay I am working on the truck on. You can see in a lot of places without the need of a drop light.
  4. 12 foot walls, I have lots of overhead storage that way. And room to pull a motor with a cherry picker if needed.
  5. Lots of outlets, I was doing the contructions so they were not that much extra. I put them in every 4 feet and do not have extension cords all over the place.
  6. A built in dedicated work bench with lots of outlets and storage underneath.
  7. I bought my compressor after the fact, I would like to put it on a stand with storage under it. All it does is sit there and take up room. With the tall ceiling I could put the compressor on top of a 5 foot cabinet.

Last edited by Christopher2; 05-01-2005 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:13 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
A lot of what you include depends on whether you have to build it to a code or not. Many towns won't allow you to do the electrical work yourself, so having an outlet every 4' would cost you a bunch. Likewise on the plumbing; if it has to be done by a licensed plumber, and hooked up to a city sewer system, it isn't cheap. Needless to say if it has a sink you want a water heater, which means either gas in the garage or a larger electrical service, and it also means another inspection and all kinds of new rules.

In my case the electrical service is at the back of my lot, and the meter is in the front, and I want the garage in back. So I would have to upgrade 150' from the transformer to the meter, add a new electrical panel at the house, and run 75 feet of new service back to the garage (all underground). The fire dept. requires that the meter be on the front 5' of the house so they can kill all power without getting too close to the house. That work plus the wiring of the garage (lights, outlets, 220v welder outlets) was quoted at $12k. Really put a damper on my plans.

So I guess my point is, check into stuff like this early or you could end up with a nasty surprise....

In a similar thread on another site someone pointed out that U-hoops imbedded in the slab are good for anchoring your tool chests and motorcycles, etc so they don't "grow legs". Depends on your neghborhood I guess. Don't forget a phone line so you can log onto the forum from the garage!

Old 05-01-2005, 05:34 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When we bought the house there was a beautiful dream garage already here. Double wide, double deep and a work area of 10X20 on the back right side. 1000 square feet. It was bigger than the squre footage of the main floor of our house. It took seventeen years to get it to where it is. I don't have running water or sewer and it would be nice to have that. Ihave the furnace and the central air. One of these days I will put a sign over the door for when I'm in the doghouse for being out there all the time. I'm one of the few that gets to make aliving in the garage. Imagination is the only limitaion of what should be in the garage. Aren't those air tools great too? I sometimes forget that I have some of them and do it the old fashion way. That's when I start missing pieces of my knuckles. Enjoy the new space.

Gear Up

Old 05-01-2005, 05:49 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
It would have to hold three times the "STUFF" I have now plus some other peoples stuff, plus me and my Dog Dawg on a cold Pennsylvania winters nite.

Old 05-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
I was going to build a seperate unit then ran into the cost of the extras also. I built an attach garage. I didn't have to run a new sewer line, gas line, or any additional electric lines from the pole. I also used room in attic trusses, this gave us another room in the house for very little extra money. We were already digging a foundation, putting on a roof, and putting up trusses. I think the additonal 18' x 20' room cost about $5000.00 complete with the maple tongue and groove flooring. The heat for the extra room tied right into the current furnace without a problem. Since I used in floor heat I was able to tie into the water heater and use it as a heat source for the in garge floor heat.

Old 05-01-2005, 10:10 PM
joners
Elder User
I'm just going to be putting up my first garage. Biggest I can go is 22x22, without having to ask the neighbors for permission and yada yada yada. Infloor heating is a must!

Old 05-01-2005, 10:35 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've currently got a 4 car garage with tons of room. As for necessities,
Cabinets.
Work Bench
Tool boxes.
Refridgerator (I get thirsty)
Two televisions, one for the front of the garage and one in my working area.
Stereo systems (minimum 100 watts) w/ four speakers.
Ventilation system - sucks the paints fumes out.
Plenty of outlets.
Air compressor with multi connections for hoses.
Usual tools- buffer, grinder, welder, saw, etc.

Things I want to add- Heater unit, circulation fans in the roof. Hydraulic lift (could use this one right now) Jacuzzi (just kiddin) Ok, no I'm not.
I pretty much spend more time in my garage with the my boys, then in the house. LOL.

Oops another thing I love to add to my garage is a sink with running water. Come in real handy to clean up and wash rags, parts, etc. Keep the wife from yelling when I track grease into the house.

Last edited by imlowr2; 05-01-2005 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:52 PM
Overkill-F1
Elder User
Ross's idea of the u-hoops in the slab is a good idea for come-alongs or chain hoists if you are moving or straightening things. The PO of my shop left short lengths of chain hanging out of the cement walls near the floor. I never thought to use them as theft prevention though. My 8' light fixtures are hanging on chains, they have cords with plugs and the ceiling outlets are switched duplex outlets. The lights can be moved around if you need extra light. My shop and carport ceilings have extra hooks all over the place. ...Terry

Old 05-02-2005, 10:11 AM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
I've Got A 30' X 60' Garage , Heaps Of Space . My Only Regret Is That I Didn't Go Higher With The Walls So I Could Put A Loft In For Storage. I Would Have Also Been Able To Put A Hoist In.
Scott.

Quick Reply: Your ideal garage