Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Locking Hubs revisited

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
we are just trying to save you money and time .

Old 05-02-2005, 01:55 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I know that you got what you didn't want from your post but that is no reason to get an attitude with everyone here. As Kem said, they are only trying to save you time, money and problems. If you don'tunderstand that then don't go and get condescending towards those here trying to help....find another place for information.

Now on to your orignal post.....

You did mention that you greased your new hubs once installed. Even if it is greased "Very lightly", you can still have issues with it holding parts where they shouldn't be. Transmissoin fluid is commonly used and you will not find any "grease" thinner than tranny fluid. It is microscopic and will not collect dirt and grime like grease. Even though you can move your parts by hand, the electric modules used to move the parts into place do not have that kind of force with the exception of the one for the transfer case. Use some brake cleaner to remove ALL grease from your hub assembly, make sure your bearing seal is good an intact. If it lets bearing grease grease to get to your hubs, then you will have probs. Dip the hub assembly into a cup of tranny fluid making sure that everything is coated, let the excess drip off a bit then install. As for getting replacement hubs from a bone yard, don't. They have wear on them from another vehicle and do not wear the same as yours. What may seem to fit will probably be off by an amount you cannot see just by putting them in. They may seem to fit, but they will be worn or "egged out" to fit the other vehicle that they came from. Unless you also used the front axels from the host truck, dont get used hubs. Now if you use your 4x4 on a regular basis, you are going to have failure again. For a long time, Ford used nylon gears in the hubs because that helped them "slide" in and out of the locked position easier. Unfortunately, this is also a weak point. So if you can find some place to get new auto hubs, then buy an extra set and keep them in your truck.
I haven't looked for then since, (dare it say it), I have manual hubs, but you can check on EBay. Some places sell their over stock to those who sell on ebay and you may find new ones there. Also, (and I hope someone else chimes in about this), there is a site for Ford NOS, (new old stock), parts.
Also check out www.broncograveyard.com
They also have new parts.

Good luck in your search.