2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PlateCam, back up camera viewer

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Dazz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PlateCam, back up camera viewer

Partial quote from another thread from ChrisAdams:
"Today I was backing up at Costco, and saw the backup lights on an Expedition light up in the camera. Not visible in the mirrors. I hit the brake, and the bone headed driver of the Expy pulled right out. Missed me by inches. Then saw me and hit the throttle rather than the brakes, and almost hit a guy walking behind her. My wife, who hasn't been happy I blew 200 bucks on the backup camera and monitor, changed her mind today."

In another post an advisory recommended searching Yahoo for a PlateCam. I did Google and I got an arrary of prices. $214.00, $448.00, $644.00, and $349.00. All looked the same with a camera lens mounted in the license plate bracket, except one, advised about a "windshiled glass" mount.

I am going to buy a PlateCam, but can I get some opinions on which is the better buy from a quality versus price viewpoint, and perhaps, why such a spread on prices. I intend to mount the monitor screen where my ex-coin holder used to be on my 4X2, F-150. I have already yanked out my coin holder for better use of that space.

Opinions, please.

Old 04-25-2005, 05:55 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Dazz, I think I can clear a few things up for you.
First though, lets hit that coin holder thing, I mounted my cell phone holder there, so I am sorta familiar with the location. How will you see it? Even in reverse, my shifter sticks right over where a monitor would go. In drive, I can't even see my cell phone, except the antenna. That's what stopped me from putting a gauge in there.

So let's assume you sit different, have a floor shift, whatever.
You could put about a 4 inch monitor, right? That should set you back about 50-80 bucks, e-bay computergeeks or through pricewatch.
Example, I have a left over 7 inch monitor in my junk, the kind you mount in headrests, and it came with 3 different kinds of mount. Almost new, didn't use it. I was going to mount it somwhere in the cab, nothing felt right. Retail is 129, but I got it for 60.00 shipped.

The camera retails on e-bay for about 46.00 bucks. I always consider shipping when I price things.

Mount is anybodys guess. Any monitor you buy will have someway to mount it though.
Wire, though everyone tells you to use something special, a decent RCA 25 foot cable, slipped inside a black flex wire protector will last 5-10 years under the truck.
figure ten-twenty bucks depending.

So, unless you want to spring for indash or visor, 125 will do it nicely.
I paid more than 150 for my monitor, but it's a dual feed, in dash, super high res, etc. I was more concerend about DVD output.

On prices. Google don't get it. Go to e-bay to see what the stuff really sells for. E-bay tip. Check the feedback of vendor, watch for buy it now, as they are just vendors using e-bay to sell. Best deals if you are in a hurry. If not, goof around and place lowball bids on cameras etc, untill you get what you want for very cheap.
Example, I wanted a camera right now, and paid 49 bucks for one. Bought another one low bid, much better model of same brand camera, 43 bucks. Both arrived the same day. E-bay is strange....

On mounting a camera, take a look under the rear bumper, and note there is a place on each side of the step to drill a hole in the plastic and mount your camera. Start to finish, installing the camera was a twenty minute job, and part of that time was looking for the right size bit.

Plate cameras have a couple of minor issues on our truck. One, is the plate sets way back in, so if you use more than 90 degree, you might cut the corners off your picture. The other is the Foot problem. I mounted a plate mounted Autopark there. It was on about five minutes, before my wife stepped on it.... good thing I bought two... She's more careful now, but I'm not expecting it to last a long time. That's not just a bumper, it's a step.

Hope this helps a little,
Chris

Old 04-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Dazz
Senior User
ChrisAdams
I waited a bit hoping for more replies. However, you were so thorough with your reply I guess no one had anything to add. Thanks for your detailed reply.

Old 04-26-2005, 11:52 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
How about someone else helping?

Are you still looking for links? These look like they would work OK.

Chris

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...768630311&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...768952375&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38650

Last edited by ChrisAdams; 04-26-2005 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Dazz
Senior User
Back Up Camera

Chris Adams
Thanks for the ebay links. Unfortunately the item had been closed out. Not to worry. Backup Cams are all over the place.

I did appreciate your hint that the coin holder area was view-blocked by the tranny shifter. I played pickup driver and placed the lever in all drives. When in Reverse I could have some view with a 3½X3½ monitor. But I would still have to move my neck around like an owl to view all my mirrors and the monitor. But I would only need it when backing up. So the owl act would be for only a short moment.

Like you, in a grocery store parking lot, I saw a dumbo parent just standing to my left-back. I said that dumbo probably has a kid somewhere. Using extra caution I just sat there. Sure enough in a few seconds a 2-year old ran to my back-right. I would have squashed that kid had I not recognized a dumb parent when I see one.

I do not have a cell phone for family reasons. So that is one item I do not need to hang somewhere.

Last edited by Dazz; 04-26-2005 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:54 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Sorry didn't test the links. When an item is ended, if it's from a vendor, there will be another every hour or so...

Well, best of luck. I hope you get a good safe system.
Chris

Old 04-26-2005, 05:39 PM
Dazz
Senior User
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
Sorry didn't test the links. When an item is ended, if it's from a vendor, there will be another every hour or so...

Well, best of luck. I hope you get a good safe system.
Chris
I will, and thank you.

Old 04-26-2005, 09:17 PM
BMWhitesel
Junior User
Hey Chris, What type of monitor do you have for your backup camera? And Where do you have the monitor mounted?

I am looking to install a backup camera but I have little knowledge on what "parts" to buy, I want to buy good quality products but I don't want to spend a fortune on the items, monitor, cables, backup camera!

Can you help me out!!

Thanks

Old 04-26-2005, 10:31 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
BMWhitesel Hi, take a look in my forum, the second set of pics will probably answer your questions.

On ebay look for the rear camera, 90%. The RCA cable and cable protector is Home Depot type stuff.
after checking those out, post if you have any questions.
Chris