General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

What size dirt bike for big man?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 08:37 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What size dirt bike for big man?

I'm getting some dirt bikes for my teenage boys, and of course I need one too to keep an eye on them. What size bike will I need? I haven't had a dirt bike since 1976 - back when 3" of suspension travel was common. We've got some good hilly areas to ride here in Wyoming, and I'm 6'5", 205 lbs. Will a 125 bog down, or do I need a 250 or bigger. Not sure about the power output of the newer bikes either, especially with 4 strokes more common.

Old 04-25-2005, 09:11 AM
96farmer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My brother had a honda CR 250(a two stroke) and he upgraded to a CRF450(a four stroke). I rode both, and I am about 6' 4'' and 210, and the four stroke was way easier to ride because the four strokes have way more low end torque, but not as much total power, I guess. The way he explained it to me, is that, say a 450 four stroke has like the same power as a 250 two stroke, and a 250 four stroke has the same power as a 125 two stroke, but four strokes are the way to go, I think. You don't have to mix fuel, and they are way easier to learn to ride on, at least in my opinion. I have never ridden smaller than those that my brother had, but they hauled me around great. Hope that helps.

Old 04-25-2005, 09:58 AM
stealth1
Senior User
I just bought a DRZ 400 for my 6'-4" 225 son and it is awesome. I am 6' 185 and it seems a bit heavy for me but it fits him like a glove. Power out the wazoo to boot. I ride a KDX 220 and it fits me perfect. I really think you would love the smoooooth power delivery of the 4 stroke as well.

Old 04-25-2005, 10:10 AM
JerseysBest
Senior User
Thats a good question, I'm a pretty big guy at 245-50 and been wondering the same thing. Only recent comparison I have is on my uncle atv that had a 250, can't remember it was 2 or 4 stroke, but none the less, it moved me pretty good (almost ate a few trees...). I don't think Id buy a 125 myself, but I'm a good 45lbs heavier and don't like to go slow.

Old 04-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Max1775
Elder User
If you're not an avid dirtbike person, a 125 2 stroke or 250 4 stroke will probably suit you fine. I weigh in at 200#s and the first time I road one it scared the crap out of me. You would be surprised at how fast these things can move. I would suggest the 4 stroke though due to easier maintenance and rideability. The 2 strokes like to run wide open a lot to keep sparkplugs from fouling, soot build-up in exhaust, etc... BTW, if you need another son to buy a bike for, I'm a little older but could be adopted...LOL

Max

Old 04-25-2005, 10:59 AM
stealth1
Senior User
Both the bikes I mentioned are trail bikes and are considered 1 of the best in their classes for rideability, being dependable, etc. I have never fouled any plugs on either bike. The 220 is such an awesome bike for a beginner or someone learnind again. True most bikes are fast but you can control all of them with the throttle. You don't want something you will outgrow in a short time. You can always add taller seat foam for your height. It has been stated numberous times that 4 strokes are dependable but do cost mucho dollars for repair where the 2 strokes are a little cheaper. Good luck on your pick..

Old 04-25-2005, 11:12 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm a little guy, but I always liked bigger dirt bikes. I've had a Husky 390 for years, and at one point I had a Yamaha YZ490. Smaller two-stroke bikes have to be kept wound up to stay in their powerband, and sometimes you're forced to go faster than you really want to. I always loved climbing hills, and with the bigger bikes I could just torque my way up them but when I worked on and rode a little YZ125, I had to fly up those hills in order to keep it from bogging down. I haven't ridden much lately and I'm getting a bit older, so the thought of riding a little slower is much more appealing to me lately. I would suggest a 250 at the minimum, possibly even something around a 450. Four strokes are nice, for some of the reasons stated above and because they make their torque at a lower RPM than a two-stroke. They're also quieter, and you can ride them in more places since all the tree-huggers are so down on two-strokes these days and they are banned in some areas. -TD

Old 04-25-2005, 12:15 PM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Thanks for the feedback - most appreciated. I don't want to outgrow the choice too soon, as mentioned. I'd never heard that 4-stroke maintenance was more expensive before.

After finally getting my taxes figured out and paid off, I have some discretionary $$ to spend.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:19 PM
IronWorker3
Senior User
True the 4 stroke is alot more to rebiuld than the 2 stroke but it will last quite a bit longer. It's been some years since I was into the bikes but if I recall some of the 4 strokers had hot start problems if you dumped'em. I'm 6'3" about 220 and my last 2 bikes were a CR500 and KX500. The KX had a more "rideable" power, like a 4 stroke, where as the Honda was all or nothing and was super scary fast. I'd look into a big thumper or a 250cc machine at the least. Also, it dosen't sound like you're looking for jumping triples so maybe an "enduro" style bike would fit the bill. Honda 450r comes to mind or even better the650r MORE POWER!

Old 04-25-2005, 02:04 PM
fordfan302
More Turbo
Id look into a Yamaha WR 250 or 450, they plenty of power and torque when you need it and theyll probably be just your size...and there's nothing like the sound of a big bore 4 stroke

Old 04-25-2005, 02:11 PM
Jebadiah04
Posting Guru
I weigh about 210...and i rode an old Honda XR500....it pulled me around...and like an elk or something along with me like i wasn't even on it...

evan tho it was old..it had mad power. Last year i got ahold of an 04 KTM525 exc....and WOW you cant make this bike bog down. I can do about 80 in 4th gear with stock gearing, with a 6 speed tranny...it goes so fast you could race rice burners on the freeway with it...and win. But i bought a smaller front sprocket for it...simply because i dont need that high end and might as well put the pwer to use in the lower speeds...although you dont need anymore power at all.

I rode every single bike i could when i bought it and i am VERY HAPPY with it. Ive been riding hondas since the biginning of time and theres no comparison..the KTM is the way to go in my eyes...

not only can no other bike keep up with you...but you could be like 500 lb's...and they still wont keep up with you...

Old 04-25-2005, 06:31 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Im picking up my yamaha yz 250 tomorrow, 2 stroke (hopefully its in)
Im not a big guy by any means, but im still growing, dont want to spend all that money on a 125 and want more soon after.
If i were you id get at least a 250 2 or 4 stroke depending on your preference, ( i love the 2's)
Guaranteed Ill have broken bones very soon.
Let us know what you decide to get.
cheers

Old 04-26-2005, 08:08 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Looked at the KTM's yesterday, and they all seemed to be the same size. 125 thru 500, I couldn't see a big difference in frame size. Not what I expected. In fact, I'd have to go down to a 100 to see a smaller bike. And when did the seats get so narrow?

Old 04-26-2005, 08:12 AM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My last bike was a 79 yz250. I wish I had never sold it. The only thing it lacked on a new bike when I had it was suspension and brakes. In a drag race it would run neck and neck with a brand new 250. That was in about 94. I probably put 500 hours on that bike and never did have to put a top end in it. Probably couldn't get parts for it today. I loved that bike.

Old 04-26-2005, 10:38 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,585 Likes on 1,292 Posts
I have a '91 Yamaha WR 250. Two stroke, low miles. Fast even with my 250 lbs aboard. Faster than I am..... Good legs and good handling make it fun to ride.

I also have a street legal Honda XR650L. A porky beast, but again it has decent legs and good manners. The 250 will run away from it, but it's much more plush if you have long days in the saddle in mind.

Last I was in Baja, the XR 400 still had a following. A 4 stroke, but mild tuning makes for long engine life. Not a racer, but will run all day.

Need longer arms? KX500 Kawasaki will stretch 'em out for you.

The Suzuki DR400s are great also. Shop around, lots of good items to choose from. Can't think of any real turkey bikes out there. Maybe KTM or Husquvarna (SP?) or some of the low volume Euro bikes--not because they are bad bikes, but because of parts and dealer support.

Quick Reply: What size dirt bike for big man?