2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

magnaflow exhaust

Old 04-25-2005, 05:51 AM
killermach1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
magnaflow exhaust

Does anyone have a magnaflow exhaust on their 04-05 f-150 5.4L either the rear side exit (15821) or the dual same side exit in front of tire (15827)? If so how do you like it Sound and performance wise? Also do you have any pictures of them on your truck?

Old 04-25-2005, 08:30 AM
Javelin389
Freshman User
I have the 15821 kit on mine and I love it. I didn't want anything that was going to be too loud, but not too quiet either. The Magnaflow is the right combination. It has a nice rumble to it at idle, but when you get on it, it opens up. I put it on a the same time as my tuner, so I don't know about HP gains by itself. You probably wouldn't be able to feel anything with only the exhaust. Don't have any pics yet though.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:59 AM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
I have the 15827. I think there's one pic in my gallery. I think it's a little louder than the other systems due to the closer proximity to the rear cab corner/window. However, I like the sound, it had a nice deep rumble. Performance, not really too much from the exhaust alone, these trucks are just too big and heavy.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:04 PM
luvmyscrew
Freshman User
what about mpg?

any gain in the mpg. i am hoping this is a selling point to the wife.
are you guys talking about just a muffler swap-out or do they replace from the muffler out. thanks.

Old 04-25-2005, 02:00 PM
JohnnyBoy
Senior User
I had the same question about a month ago, at least I got an answer now...

Old 04-25-2005, 02:33 PM
Javelin389
Freshman User
I did the cat-back kit, not the muffler only swap. As for MPG, it's probably a little worse now, cause you only want to put your foot in it to hear that exhaust rumble.

Old 04-25-2005, 02:38 PM
JohnnyBoy
Senior User
I want this thing to sound rockin. Does anyone with this exhaust have the 4.6? I figured the same size engine and basically the same engine will sound basically the same as a GT? Right??

Old 04-25-2005, 03:15 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trucks don't sound like light cars, even with the same exhaust. Torque curve, loading, nothing is the same. Also, the 4.6 in the stang is a little different isn't it?

Still a healthy, power sound with the 4.6 in my reg cab.

If you are doing it for 'mileage' then you have to do it cheap, or you tossed out the gains. So go with the muffler alone. Save weight, save a little back pressure, save a little money. The stock pipe is pretty big. The stock muffler is a tank.
Chris

Old 04-25-2005, 03:49 PM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
those numbers we are referring to are the part number for the "cat-back" systems. Unbolt the stock exhaust from the clamp right behind the cat and replace the whole system with the Magnaflow one.

Nope, never really saw an increase in mpg either, maybe 0.5 at most.

Old 04-26-2005, 01:02 PM
JohnnyBoy
Senior User
I thought someone said on here that they were the same engine except for the intake plentum. Mabye I was wrong. So Chris, you have a MagnaFlow? I seem to be following in your footsteps for my truck build with the mods anyway. I would love to hear that thing! I cant seem to find a good sound clip of the MagnaFlow nor the Spintech.

Old 04-26-2005, 01:40 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Talking

Hi JohnnyBoy. Don't follow in my footsteps, I have a severe limp...
Sorry.

I listened to sound clips before I bought my exhaust. Didn't help, one way or the other.

The 4.6 has several variants, still the same motor, but not the same....Sorta like small block Chevy’s. A 350 ain’t the same as a 350....

But on the sound, the thing that makes the difference is when you throttle up light or heavy with these trucks, the motor is working pretty hard, and thus the sound is just plain not the same. A light car loading will make a higher, faster sound. (faster meaning dopplering up quicker, not car going faster..)

For a comparison example think Rice Rocket with stinger going up fast, vs. heavy diesel truck going up through the gears... notice the frequency is much different the lighter the ride. Bikes are another good example.

Me, I like the deeper throatier sound of a truck busting up over a little screamer, but that's just taste.

How much noise are you prepared to take? Do you have a spouse etc. that won't like it loud? Do you drive on lots of long slow grades? That's where the drone gets tiring on anything too loud. I have about a three mile slow climb leaving my place, and a loud pipe sounds great for the first mile, but after that...

If you want loud but not illegal in most places, do check out the 18" Magnaflow. Don't recall the part number, but it's a straight pipe looking through it.

Before you buy any of the Catback kits sold, check your local muffler shops. You might be very surprised at how cheaply they can set you up. I don't mean Midas, I mean private shops, especially the ones with hotrods sitting around... Best deals I ever got on exhaust came from small shops with guys that knew what they were doing....
Chris

Old 04-26-2005, 07:00 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
I just ordered the 16612 ( single rear exit, 18" muffler, 6/04 up) magnaflow system for my truck. From reading Chris' post, It sounds like just what I was looking for. Any sound clips I have heard were basiacally useless to me.

Old 04-27-2005, 09:14 AM
JohnnyBoy
Senior User
I already had problems with "custom" shops. Not doing that again. As far as the drone, I had a Honda Prelude with a dual DTM setup that I drove from Dallas to South Padre (14 hours straight). I could not hear for about an hour or 2 when I got there. And as far as the loudness, i still have a 4.3 Vortec with no mufflers. I just cant seem to justify putting the 600+ clams on a system that is no better than a 400 dollar spintech or gibson, any thoughts?

Old 04-27-2005, 11:51 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
JohnnyBoy, I hope you are kidding about the noise level you have been subjecting yourself to. Every loud noise equals permanent hearing loss. By the time you hit the forties, it can be pretty bad. I can't use a phone with my right ear, because I had to use firearms without hearing protection in my twenties.

One of my old partners in racing is almost deaf, from open headers for several years when we were kids. His hearing just went bad when he hit about 45, and now he has two hearing aids and music does nothing for him. All the doctors have told him that it was the loud noises when he was a kid.

I'm the last guy to be a safety ****, and I am not 'worried about the cost to society'. I am concerned about seeing a decent guy ruin his hearing. Music, etc. are something you would miss.

Of course normally loud pipes ain't gonna damage you. Just the open stuff.
Again, I am not trying to criticize you or 'mother hen' you, just wanted to make sure you were aware of the kinda high price for super loud pipes.
Chris

Old 04-28-2005, 10:11 AM
killermach1
New User
Well I got my Magnaflow system installed last night. I did it in my front yard. I love it! It's exactly what I wanted It has a deeper tone but not loud and obnoxious like flowmasters and the like. I also noticed an increase in throttle response. If anyone is interested in magnaflows call John at Complete Exhaust (859) 608-3583 I did a lot of research and he has the BEST prices on Magnaflows anywhere, period! I paid 350 for mine. Anyway, I'm installing a Poweraid throttle body Spacer tonight and a Volant CAI tomorrow I'll let Yall know how it goes.

Search this Thread