Aerostar Ford Aerostar

inner tie rod replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 11:50 PM
gearyoil
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
inner tie rod replacement

I guess I'm not smart enough to use the search, so I'll just ask the question! Do I need any special tools or instructions to replace the inner tie rod ends on my '96 Aerostar? I've done the outer ones with no problems. Thanks for any info.

Old 04-25-2005, 03:09 AM
JanRichter
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are many posts about this in the archive. Here's one I made a few years' ago. (I will add that AutoZone has a loaner tool for this job that resembles a very very long socket).

To remove them, first unscrew the tie rod from the outer tie rod end and mark the position of the locking nut so it can be replaced in approximately the same position - you'll have to get an alignment done afterwards. Remove the boot (they're sometimes called bellows). Note the alloy air transfer pipe which is a push fit into the boots. To unscrew the inner tie rod end from the rack a 1 and 5/16 inch open ended wrench will be needed. If you don't have one the parts retailer may have a tool loaner service. (Don't forget to first unscrew the small grubscrew which locks the inner tie rod end to the rack!). Whilst you're unscrewing the inner tie rod end hold the rack steady with locking pliers to prevent it twisting. I drove the front of the van onto 4 inch blocks to do this job, but you may prefer to jack it up and remove the wheels.

Jan Richter