2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Abs Light Comes On

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 06:56 PM
Ranger Louie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Abs Light Comes On

I have a 2004 SuperCrew 4x4,lately the ABS light on the dash keeps coming on when driving on the highway and stays on.It will not do it in town.The manual does'nt say anything about what this means.There is no braking problems associated with this. Could it be a bad sensor?Thanks for your replies,Louie.

Old 04-23-2005, 07:04 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It means go to the dealer, do not pass go, do not collect 200... well you get the idea.

I don't think I would drive it. You don't have a code reader (scangauge, superchips, etc.) or you would have checked for codes.
Sure it could be a sensor, but without a full diagnostic, we would be just taking a shot in the dark.
Be careful, and do take it in.
Chris

Old 04-23-2005, 08:09 PM
Ranger Louie
Senior User
Thanks Chris, I will take it in as soon as I can.

Old 04-23-2005, 08:51 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it's anything like the ABS on British crap (landrover's) the light will be on but you will be able to stop, maybe without the ABS functioning but normal brakes. Sensor clearance to ring too large, iron rust, mud, electrical connection corrosion. Beware as dealers can screw you with BS and unnecessary replacement parts. Anti-stealer I am. Love the 60's vehicles.

Carl....=o&o>....

Old 04-23-2005, 09:09 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
With ABS brakes, possibly isn't good enough to risk your life, or the life of others on. Also, there is a mysterious aliment on some of these trucks brakes, that might be related to the ABS. Search for brake if you are curious. Symptom can be summed up by saying "NO Brakes, AAAHRG." as you speed through the intersection....
Hopefully his dealership will get right on this.

Aside;
I'm no fan of dealerships, and especially their shops, but sometimes you just gotta.

"Beemer Nut", I dunno, I've owned upwards of 80 cars/trucks built in the 60's. Worked on them professionally, and privately, sold parts for them, etc. Love some of the styles (because they were what I wanted when I first wanted cars), but truly can't say I prefer working on them, or driving them. Maybe some of my MG's Triumphs, etc. but not most of them. They are better for showing, than driving.
Chris

Old 04-23-2005, 10:07 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Just have to laugh at people that state when ABS isn't working then they are a hazard to themself and others on the road. This tells me they are driving over their head and ABS is the only reason there not in a wreck. After adding an adjustable proportioning valve to the 68 CS I stop better and feel safer when empty in this old 60's vehicle. On the 95 Rover Discovery which has 85% ABS failures I and others have disconnected it for safety reasons. That crap has caused many wrecks on the street (wife crashed a curb instead of running over 8 year olds at the school crosswalk) and worse yet when it goes off on a steep down hill in the dirt, I have seen rollovers when this "Saftey ABS CRAP" has gone off. Cup holders and ABS for Idiots (JMO no offense) not me. Not to start a flame war, JMO's from past results and experiences.

Carl....=o&o>....

Old 04-24-2005, 12:35 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Talking

When an ABS fails, one of the way it fails is to release the brakes when they are NOT locking. Think about it.

The studies on safety with ABS are readily available. Take a look before you make that sweeping statement.

As to being safer overall with ABS, funny thing is, if you are the right kind of driver, ABS is great. Wrong kind, not so good.

I'm the wrong kind myself, too many years of 'doing my own pumping' too many years of light over-steering cars.

My wife, on the other hand, is fantastic with anti lock. She instinctively lays hard on the brake, and steers around the problem.

She's saved both our butts several times on the LA freeway, where driving skills are completely different than in the rest of the country.

She was driving exactly with traffic, 65 mph in her Eldo, keeping the maximum distance possible on the freeway. That's about two car lengths on the 91, coming out of Long Beach on a Friday. The car in front had some kind of incident, and spun completely around, facing us, at 60+. The Toyota actually worked it's way through five lanes' starting from the car pool, to the dirt, in about four seconds. Without ABS, it would have been brutal when the cars started sliding. No where to go, everyone full on the brakes, watching a car full of kids slide through the middle. No accidents and the Toyota ended up in the dirt, facing backwards, with the woman holding her kids in her arms, crying.

My wife had to dodge her twice, and once around a small pickup. Full on the brakes, hanging up on the harness, and still full control.

Without the fact that every car in the mess had anti locks, maybe a dozen dead. We would have survived easy, in a Caddy. But not the kids in the Toy. We would have driven right through them.

Same car, a month later here in town, a car ran a stop sign in front of us, young, stupid girl. My wife managed to full brake, swerve around her, while I was still dropping my jaw. We went back, girl had stopped after she got into the lane, and she was so upset I had to drive her car home for her.
After we all stopped shaking.
Without anti-locks, I think she would be dead.

ABS has problems, mostly that people with it over-drive the brakes. But hell, they do that with old style brakes.

We drive a lot more miles here in California, and a lot faster than most places. ABS, and 4 wheel disks are the minimum my wife will tolerate in a car.

People who don’t drive here talk about driving slower, so it’s safer. Five minutes on the 10 and you will find out what happens to people who drive slower than the traffic.

Of course we could always return to horse and buggy.
Getting food in and out of a metropolis with 30 million people wouldn’t be possible, but soon the population would be smaller…

Old 04-24-2005, 01:21 AM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
If it makes you happy (feel safe) go for it with ABS. As you know about British electrics, the ABS system is very unreliable on Rovers. Even if the stealers did repairs the ABS light would be off (system functional) the maximum of 5 weeks a year. It would cost between $1,500 to $1,900 in sensors alone then you play the game every time you apply the brakes if the ABS will pulse under normal braking. This can happen five times a day to once every two weeks. As a second owner on this vehicle and it had 7 year 100,000 mile extended coverage from the first owner, stealers replaced Wadco ABS pump ($3,100) 5 sensors ($2,350), 2 sensor rings ($145), brain box ($920) don't forget labor for all the above. The cream of this I had to pay $50 each time and the system still fails when driving home from the stealers. I'm not alone as many other Disco owners have the same unsafe problem on Rover forums. In my case and other Rover owners it's safer to have ABS disconnected. There should be a recall by Rover North America, DOT or class action. On the 86 735 BMW the brakes and ABS never had failures and it was unnatural to yank the wheel and slam the brakes in rain and stop.
NUFF BSN 4 NOW on subject. Carl....=o&o>....

Old 04-24-2005, 02:48 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
I'm not sure I see the connection between a Rover, one of the worst made cars ever foisted on the public.(not just an opinion, read the reviews) and the much more robust, American ABS systems. Even the Chevy’s (the worst of the big three on ABS) is several orders of magnitude more reliable than the Rovers.

It's kind of like saying don't use a stick shift, the Vega had a badly designed clutch....

On Brit stuff;

Loved my TR3, TR3a, TR4, Spit, E model, B and four midgets,
but about British Automotive engineering remember Lucas dying words
"Don't drive at Night!".

The reason the Brits don't make TV's is because they can't figure out how to make them leak oil.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Those are my two favorite Brit car jokes.
Chris

Old 04-24-2005, 08:53 AM
Ranger Louie
Senior User
My 2004 SuperCrew is still under warranty so this should be covered.Come to think of it,it's been taking a little longer to stop and when you do it's a jerky stop instead of a smooth stop,if this is any incation.I'ts going in as soon as my dealer can take it.