Sponsored by:

this normal for the axle/ got the brakes done today

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 02:33 AM
XolieX
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this normal for the axle/ got the brakes done today

today i went to get my brakes done at my dad's hobby shop. well i got all the brkaes off and found out i was in a need of front brake pads and the rear shoes looked like they haven't been really used at all. however the front brakes look like they were almost about to get completely done for. i went to replace the front pads with some good semi metalic pads.

i went to the back to take a look at the cylinders to see if they were leaking. i turned the axle and they turn freely. both of them in fact. the car is in park, i do't think its suppose to do that. am i right? the driveline wasn't even moving. i went back there again, and all of a sudden it turns the driveline. is something catching there and not, when its suppose to be always catching? i also thought on normally on all just rwd cars/trucks if the car is in park, the rear axles won't move. since this is a 4x4, is it different?

well, i found out exactly why on my safety check the guy said my rear brakes are in a need of adjusting and my braking barely passes safety. well the star adjusting screw were completely frozen and were not adjusting the shoes. well i had to try to free them but they wouldn't. so i make myself a run to kragen again. that went well and they adjusted beautifully.

next was just to bleed the brakes cuz the pedal was a lil spongy. well i bled 2 whels just fine at the back. went to the pass front, well the bleeder was clogged and had to unclogg it to press on. well we go to the driver front and then we were done. however when we tired that, the bleeder broke off. it pissed thd **** out of me.

however thnak god the brakes work better and i can actually feel the rear brkas actually do something. and the front bleeder doesn't leak. tomorrow i'll have to get another bleeder screw and tap the other one out. i had to make sure i had good brakes for towing the mustang on a dolly that doesn't have brakes so i got ot make sure hte trucks brakes are optimal.

wish me luck guys. however, is the axle thing normal?

Old 04-22-2005, 09:51 AM
93BigBlackBronco
Senior User
1st rule of brake job open bleeder screws to make sure they work when you are done, I've had the exact same problem in the past.
If both rear wheels are off the ground the axle is normal.

Old 04-23-2005, 12:13 PM
XolieX
Elder User
with the bleeder valve breaking off inthe caliper, i tried taping it out but it was completely seized. the guy before me did alot of maintaince but never did anything to breaks at all. so i had to buy another caliper at kragen for 37 and all was good.

i got all good brakes now for less than 60 dollars. i hope the brakes are ready for towing now.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:03 PM
tex94F250
Posting Guru
Generally you can use an eze-out on the bleeders. If it ever happens again, just drill the center out of the bleeder and use the eze out. If it is somewhat frozen use a small finish nail nailset and drill the center out and collapse the remaainder to the inside and extract. It takes time but is fairly easy to do with patience.

Old 04-24-2005, 08:43 PM
bossind
Elder User
i went to the back to take a look at the cylinders to see if they were leaking. i turned the axle and they turn freely. both of them in fact. the car is in park, i do't think its suppose to do that. am i right? the driveline wasn't even moving. i went back there again, and all of a sudden it turns the driveline. is something catching there and not, when its suppose to be always catching? i also thought on normally on all just rwd cars/trucks if the car is in park, the rear axles won't move. since this is a 4x4, is it different?

Its because you have a open diff. this is normal.

Old 04-25-2005, 03:33 AM
XolieX
Elder User
so i really don't have a 4x4, i have a 4x3. i dn't know why they would put open diff.s in trucks that are 4x4.

so mostly the right tire is my foward drive wheel, its going to suck if i needed the left tire to spin.

how does the dana 44 spin both of the wheels?

Old 04-25-2005, 04:10 AM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually you have an effective 4x2 because the front is likely to also have an open diff, and only IF you are in 4wd. If the truck had a posi it would be in the rear axle. Open diffs will spin which ever tire has less traction not just left or right. This is a very common diff it is cheap and easy to manufacture. Posi's or traction-lock or whatever name the company decided to call it are options that wasn't ordered as often as they are now, with the genral public now demanding a more sure footed vehicle.