1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 Ford F3 Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 09:23 PM
brianacarey
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1951 Ford F3 Questions.

I just bought a 1951 Ford F3 Flathead v8, and I have some questions about it. What are the differences between the f3 and f2 or f1? I know the tire size is different, maybe the springs, but will a fender from a f2 or f1 work front or rear? Does f3 mean one ton? If so, is this thing going to be a pain to drive? Is the frame different from a f2 to f3? Were all the box lengths the same? One last question. Is it possible to get factory coded paint mixed for this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Jason

Old 04-20-2005, 09:31 PM
SteV8e
Elder User
I have a 52 F3. Ford marketed the F2 as a 3/4 ton and the F3 as a Heavy Duty 3/4 ton, though the rated capacity for an F3 is greater than a ton. F1 fenders are F1 only. I believe the F2 fenders (same stamping with the exception of the larger tire opening) fit up through F7. F8 had an even larger tire opening.

Mine drives well, though I'd like a lower final drive ratio. Mine is 4.86. I think the other common one is 4.11. My transmission is the Heavy Duty 3 on the floor. It shifts fine, but is non-synchro downshifting to first.

I don't know about getting the paint, but if you give me the letter code (A= Black), I can give you the paint name. My paint is a non-stock two tone; pictures in my gallery.

Old 04-20-2005, 10:06 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brianacarey
I just bought a 1951 Ford F3 Flathead v8, and I have some questions about it. What are the differences between the f3 and f2 or f1? I know the tire size is different, maybe the springs, but will a fender from a f2 or f1 work front or rear? Does f3 mean one ton? If so, is this thing going to be a pain to drive? Is the frame different from a f2 to f3? Were all the box lengths the same? One last question. Is it possible to get factory coded paint mixed for this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Jason
SteV8e is right about the tonnage difference. However, to correct him, F1 had its own fenders. F2-F6 shared fenders, which had a slightly larger wheel well opening than F1s. F7-F8 had a much larger wheel well opening to accommodate larger wheels. I believe that the width of the grill (thus the entire width of the front clip) was larger on F7-F8, while it remained the same from F1-F6.

Front and rear fenders are interchangeable from F1-F6. Just keep in mind the wheel well openings. It should be easier to find F2-F6 fenders than F1 as F1 are a lot more in demand. F2 and up trucks are sort of orphans and not "collected" as much. Example, I have an almost mint condition front clip from an F6 sitting in my backyard and I can't get rid of it. There's absolutely no rust through on it.

Box lengths were different between F2-F3 and F1. F2-F3 had a longer box than F1. All frames were made the same, except for wheelbase differences and heavier duty trucks came with a 2 speed rear end. Obviously, transmissions were also different. Larger trucks had slightly different front suspensions than F1s.

It will be harder for you to find certain parts for F2 and F8 trucks as they are not in as much demand as the F1s. However, when you do find them, they'll probably be cheap, because almost no one wants them.

Also, keep in mind that fenders and box from '51 are the same as '52. Fenders and box from '48-'50 are not the same as '51/'52.

Ilya

Old 04-21-2005, 06:43 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
brianacarey ...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 04-21-2005, 07:24 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Jason,

The 48-52 F-3's have a wheelbase of 122 inches. That's even longer than 53-56 3/4 ton pickups. The F-1 wheelbase is 114 inches. I am in the process of converting my F-3 to an F-1 by shortening the frame and using front and rear F-1 fenders and bed. The springs are heavier and the differential under an F-3 is enormous. I am also converting the front and rear suspensions to use 5 on 4.5 inch wheel pattern instead of 8 lug so I can put smaller 15 inch wheels on it.

Vern

Old 04-21-2005, 08:39 AM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts
The rear fenders for the F2-3 are NOT interchangeable with the F1 rear fenders. The F2-3 box style was basically unchanged from 1938. The F1 box was changed slightly around 1950.
Transmissions for the F2-3 were usually the 3sp HD or the 4 speed spur. There was a 4.11 rearend ratio available, but it seems rare. Chuck's Trucks in CT can get the 4.11 setup.
Obviously it does not have power steering or brakes, and if you have the spur gear tranny, you will need to double clutch to get it to shift without screeching and growling at you.
Most importantly, keep in mind that it is a 50+ year old 3/4 ton that was built to carry loads. It most certainly not a modern highway-cruisin' 1/2 ton, nor is it a Nippon built lightweight.

Old 04-21-2005, 01:13 PM
brianacarey
New User
Thanks for your help guys.

Old 04-21-2005, 01:16 PM
brianacarey
New User
What kind of speeds can I expect to drive it, as I would like to keep it all original? It has a 3 speed in it. Will it have to be double clutched?

Thanks again.
Jason

Old 04-21-2005, 01:35 PM
SteV8e
Elder User
You won't need to double clutch, except downshifting into first. Check the data plate on the inside of your glove box door to find out your rear axle ratio. My 4.86 axle with the V8 does fine at 50 MPH, but that is about all. If you have the rarer 4.11, you will get a little more speed (up towards 60 MPH).

Remember your stopping limitations. If you are driving in traffic, most motorist don't give you anymore space than they would the car with four wheel disk ABS brakes. People drive a lot closer together than they once did.

Old 04-22-2005, 07:20 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1952henry
The rear fenders for the F2-3 are NOT interchangeable with the F1 rear fenders.
That is correct because the F-2/F-3 bed is wider and the F-2/F-3 rear fenders are narrower to compensate. But, if you use an F-1 bed like I will be doing you can use F-1 rear fenders...

Vern

Old 04-22-2005, 08:01 AM
SteV8e
Elder User
My 52 F3 has a long wide bed from a 53-56. Pictures in the gallery.

Old 04-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
You can put F1 rear fenders on a F3 that will allow you to run 10" wide rims and wider tires and not rub on the fenders.

Old 04-22-2005, 12:17 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Code:
 <table width="600" align="CENTER" border="0">
<tr>
<td>&nbsp;
</td></tr> 
</table>
<table width="600" align="CENTER" border="3" bgcolor="white">
<tr>
<td colspan="2" bgcolor="gray"><p><font size="5" ><center>F-Series Body Parts Listing</center></font>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><p>Parts shared by all Models, F-1 through F-8<br>(including panel trucks)
</td>
<td><p><ul>
<li><p>Cab (except panel), doors and interior cab parts (Except speedometer and transmission covers, the trans cover will fit all models but will need to have holes closed and moved around.)<br></li>
<li><p>Inner fender panels<br></li>
<li><p>Doors<br></li>
<li><p>Hood</li>
</ul>
</td>
</tr>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><p>Differences between 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder trucks
</td>
<td><ul>
<li><p>The battery trays mounts on opposite sides<br></li>
<li><p>Starter solenoid mounts near batteries so they are on opposite sides too<br></li>
<li><p>Radiator sets closer to the front on a 6 cylinder truck<br></li>
<li><p>Radiator panel in the hood on a six cylinder truck also sets closer to the front of the truck and is narrower than the 8 cylinder panel.</li>
</ul>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><p>Parts specific to F-1
</td>
<td><ul>
<li><p>Front fenders <br></li>
<li><p>Pickup box (6 ½ foot)<br></li>
<li><p>Rear fenders<br></li>
<li><p>Tailgate</li>
</ul>
</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td><p>Parts shared by F-1 through F-6
</td>
<td><p><ul>
<li><p>Grill<br> </li>
<li><p>Radiator support<br></li>
<li><p>Short running boards (With slight alteration these also fit panel trucks)</li>
</ul>
</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td><p>Parts shared by F-2 through F-6
</td>
<td><ul>
<li><p>Front fenders</li>
</ul>
</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td><p>Parts shard by F-2 and F-3
</td>
<td><ul>
<li><p>Front fenders (wheel openings are larger than the F-1)<br> </li>
<li><p>Pickup box (8 foot and wider than the F-1, wheel well protrude further into the box)<br></li>
<li><p>Tailgate (wider and higher that the F-1)<br></li>
<li><p>Rear fenders (wheel opening is larger and is narrower that the F-1)<br> </li>

</ul>
</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td><p>Parts shared by F-7 and F-8
</td>
<td><ul>
<li><p>Grill (wider than the smaller models)<br></li>
<li><p>Front fenders (wider than the smaller models)<br></li>
<li><p>Running boards (7 inches wider than smaller models)</li>
</ul>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><p>COE and delivery vans
</td>
<td><p><ul>
<li><p>Grill (same as the F-7 & 8's)<br></li>
<li><p>I am not familiar with COE trucks or delivery vans (bread truck vans) so this is the only information I have about these models.</li>
</ul>
</td>
</tr>

</table>

Old 04-22-2005, 02:24 PM
flathead239
Senior User

6 to 8 differences 51 & 52

Bob,

Not to hijack the thread here, but may I make 2 additions to your list for 6 versus 8 cylinder trucks.

The fuel line routing is different as the line runs forward on the left frame rail & crosses over to the pass side as opposed to being mounted to the left side of the firewall for V8's.

The throttle linkage ***'y is also completely different in design and mounting location.

Cheers,

Jeff

52 F3 V8
52 F3 215 I6 OHV

Old 04-22-2005, 02:32 PM
SteV8e
Elder User
Bob:

Nice table, dude!

I will print it out to take along on my boneyard trips.

Quick Reply: 1951 Ford F3 Questions.