Need help with ideas for radio setup in '04 F-250

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 09:31 AM
Gt-358
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with ideas for radio setup in '04 F-250

I want to put XM in my 04 F-250, but I really didn't want to have the Skyfi2 just mounted somewhere on the dash. I was thinking about getting theKenwood DDX7015. So it would look good and have a bunch of other cool things added.

The only downside is the Kenwood is ~$1300. The other option I thought of was a carputer. Mount a touchscreen 7" screen in place of the stock radio and then use a computer for everything else.

There are a couple problems with the carputer setup vs the Kenwood. If I ever wanted to just pop in a DVD or CD I would have to figure a place to mount the drive in a easy to reach location. Hmm, maybe make the LCD screen where it could flip up? Another problem would be the XM, once again I would have to have a XM Skyfi2 mounted somewhere.

Or I could do both, and use the Kenwood for the video of the carputer. Only issue then would be how to intergrate the touchscreen of the Kenwood to the controls of the computer. Not sure if possible.....

Any thoughts on the different setups?

Old 04-20-2005, 11:51 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GT,

I did a lot of research on that car computer (www.carcpu.com) and just didn't want to have to rely on Windows to run the stereo in my truck (especially at that price, ouch!). It's bad enough I have to restart my computers at home all the time, I can't imagine dealing with that in my truck. Anyways, I do a lot of four wheeling and didn't think a hard drive could take the abuse. Sooooo, with that, I ended up buying a Pioneer AVIC-N1 brand new off Ebay for $1300. In dash dvd with 6.5" screen (w/ navigation, mp3, etc). If you decide to go with the AVIC and you do watch dvd's while you're driving, stay away from the AVIC-N2. Pioneer figured out how to shut off the front screen using the gyro in the main unit. Anyways, just my .02.

Oh, and about XM. I paid for a year in advance to get locked in at my lower rate right around the time my buddy gave me his login for Sirius. I have to say, the programming on Sirius is alot better in my opinion. If you sit behind a computer all day like me, I'd do the 3 day trial setup before getting the XM. See if it's right for you. I love satellite radio and listen to it all the time, but next time I'll be going with Sirius. Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 04-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Gt-358
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I saw some of the pricing on the carputer stuff. But if I was to do it, I would making it myself as much as possible. To save $ and customize it to fit me. I don't do much off roading, mainly towing so the shock loads should be fine. Yeah, boot times are an issue I would be lookin in too. I know when done right, I can get winxp to load pretty darn quick.

There is a trick to the AVIC-N2 to get around the no dvd while driving. Something about putting a switch on the VSS wire. It will disable the Navigation till you switch it on, but allows DVD playback.

I put the Skyfi in my wife's Jimmy last year and like the programing. Plus I get a discount for a second account, so I'll probably stick with XM.

Old 04-21-2005, 01:47 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Well if you do try to tackle it yourself, good luck! Sounds way too involved for me. Heck installing my AVIC was enough for me.

That's an interesting concept about switching the vss wire and bypassing the playback. From what I was told, it was based off the internal gyro (which is used to sense when the vehicle is in motion whether the vss is used or not). Anyways, it's a moot point since I have the -1. All I had to do was ground the parking brake lead.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2005, 12:14 AM
LAPII
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

The DDX7015 is the way to go, just had mine installed with 10" flip in back, four new speakers, 6" bazooka tube, and inverter. All I can say is amazing sound difference from stock and the capabilites. Will try to post pics soon. Good luck, the kenwood will definitely pay for itself in along run, because of upgrades you can add.