1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 06:51 PM
tlb
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck won't start

How's everyone doing? Got my truck out of the garage this past weekend. Started right up. Went out tonight to go for a ride, fired right up and ran for a couple of minutes and it stalled out. Whent to start it up again and the starter just clicked. I thought battery was dead so i put the charger on and it read full charge. I had no juice to anything, no lights, horn etc. Could i have a short somewhere or could the solenoid mounted on the firewall be shot. I have no idea how old the battery or solenoid is. I did disconnect the battery in case i do have a short.
Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks

Terry

BTW i hope to see some of you at knoxvile next month.

Old 04-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First test Batt( or take it to be tested.. NAPA, Kargen ) Once you know the batts good hook it back up.. Than test for Ground (-) to engine block.. If bad replace ground wire..

If good go and then test Batt (+) to Hot side of solinoid.. If bad replace.. If good test the start side of solinoid.. ( you will need help on this part ) IF good than test the (+) stud on the starter.. if this is hot when the key trun to start than the starter gone.. If not hot when the key turned to start than the cable bad..

Old 04-19-2005, 10:33 PM
SteV8e
Elder User
I suspect a high resistance connection at some point between the starter and the battery. Disconnect the battery ground and then disconnect, clean, and reconnect the battery positive, both sides of the solendoid, and the starter. You may be getting a high resistance (voltage drop) at one or more of these connections.

Old 04-19-2005, 11:48 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a simular problem on my 51, the ignition switch come loose and turned and allowed the power wire to short out on the dash.

Rod

Old 04-19-2005, 11:59 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check for dirty battery cable connections first.

Old 04-20-2005, 10:19 AM
Scott123
Elder User
Second that on checking for dirty connections, especially if you still have 6 volt positive ground system. Before I converted mine, the connections would corrode pretty quickly, and just about any corrosion made it harder for the 6v to spin over.

Scott

Old 04-20-2005, 05:21 PM
tlb
Elder User

I already have a 12v system. rewired entire truck last year and drove most of the summer and did not have any problems. first thing i will do is check battery and starter terminals for corosion and o from there.

Thanks for all the help.