1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'48 F1 Oil Pan Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 03:29 PM
mjacobbe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'48 F1 Oil Pan Questions

The oil pan drain plug on my '48 F1 is in the center of a round plate which apparently can be removed to clean out buit-up sludge. When I remove the plate, will I find a gasket in place and, if so, where can I get a replacement gasket? Also, I know there is a tool made to fit the drain plug (my wrenches aren't that big). Does anyone know where I can buy that tool? Thanks!

Old 04-18-2005, 04:13 PM
Scott123
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assuming this is the flathead V8, there is a gasket with that round clean out plate, but I don't know if you can get it separately anywhere or if you have to ask for an oil pan gasket kit, which will have the main gasket and I think the lower main oil seals. Napa used to carry them, but I'm finding out that they aren't carrying some things anymore (latest loss being front brake hoses for an F-1). However, the bolts that hang down are all mounted on a round metal ring that pops out too (at least mine did), and I don't think there's a gasket there, but should be. A good tube of RTV silicone will seal it all up without buying the gaskets if you want to go that route.

I just use an 8 or 10 inch crescent wrench to get the drain plug out. As long as the jaws open enough to fit the plug head that's all you need. My plug's in good shape so I don't worry about it getting rounded off with the crescent wrench. Doesn't have to be real tight so you don't need a big wrench or you'll destroy the plug gasket.

Scott