1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Replacing the distributor

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 11:56 AM
Narwhal
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing the distributor

I pulled the distributor out of my '53 flathead and am now ready to replace it. This seems like a stupid question, but does it matter how I rotate the gear at the end of the distributor shaft before I install it? Is setting the timing mark for TDC on #1 cylinder matter now, or only when I start to set the timing?

-Scott

Old 04-18-2005, 03:46 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok,
1. Pull the number 1 spark plug put your finger over the hole and crank the engine over till it blows pressure againist it,then stop. Look at the timing mark, it should have stopped about a 1/4" before the mark. Advance the pulley till the timing marks line up. If the pulley mark rolled past the pointer you will have to back it up, or start over again.
2. Once the timing marks are aligned then drop in the distributor making sure the rotor is pointed toward the number one plug wire tower when the cap is in place. Be sure the distributor housing is all the way down againist the block.
3. Take a small piece of notebook paper and put between the point contacts. Close the contacts by turning the distributor. Advance the distributor slightly till you can pull out the paper. It should start at this point, If not start over again.

Hope this helps
Rod

Old 04-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Narwhal
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellently organized and very practical advice. Thanks.

-Scott