Modular V10 (6.8l)  

One of Those Days!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 08:40 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One of Those Days!!!!!!

Alright, We've all discussed this before but ya know how some days your V10 seems like it has an extra 50 ponies under the hood, well friday was the opposite, seemed like some one stole a heard of my horses.

One of my buddies was back in ND for a week from lousiana where he is currently residing (I cann't spell). I went over to do a little bsing and catching up since it's been a year since the last time he was back. Had the big F250 V10 with me (had to show off a little bit, lol) so anyway he was checking it out and really liked the way she looked on the outside and loved the carbon fiber stuff (sport package) and all so we decided to go for a drive. pulled onto the overpass and gave her the 10 burning and 4 turning and it picked up pretty dang good, not great but good none the less. he looks over at me and says I can't imagine this big thing with a 8 Cyl. So we start bsing again about how dang heavy it is (7100lbs) and he can barly beleive it wieghs that much and was thinking that it doesn't do to bad. so we stop behind a left tuning car and I thought I would tromp on it and burn the ol rear tires a little but unfortunatly they didn't even slip, arrrggggg. It just took off and all though it wasn't slow. It wasn't very impressive. It kinda pissesd me off because a week before my father-inlaw was with me and told me to giver the onion and the thing just anilated the rears for like 40 yards. Well anyway I could tell he was less than impressed but what do ya say??? So thats my complaint of the weekend. I was just disappointed because because of anybody I know he's the one person I really wanted to show how much snot the ol V10 has, he's one of those guys that thinks you can pull a 18ft boat with a tarus or whatever (which you can but I wouldn't suggest it), He equates fast with power and all though I know better it just one of those things. I know theres a million factors and I know that the pavement was just that stuff thats only has a year or so off wear on a new seal coat so theres a lot of traction but it stil kinda burned me none the less.

I guess I should've gotten a Mustang Cobra to pull my boat and camper, not. I really don't even know why I'm complaining, I guess I should've hooked up to the bobcat trailer before going over so I could actually show what its capable of. anyhow I just gotta vent because my 7100lb truck won't burn the rear tires like a Viper, now how stupid does that sound, guess I just need to listen to myself to see how dumb this actually sounds, It's a good laugh now that I read what I just wrote, any way have a good day guys.

Old 04-18-2005, 08:49 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
I find if I romp on my '01 for 10-15 minutes, it really starts to get that extra power. One day, Easter Sunday, I was getting hard on it, because there wasn't really anyone on the road. I had to go back to my house for something, shut it down, went inside, came back out, and started it up. Popped it in drive, slammed the gas to the floor, and sure enough, both rears spun for more than 100 feet on dry, clean, asphalt. It NEVER does that unless I've been beating on it.

If I baby it, the power is down.

No idea why, but I think the computer likes being beat on

Old 04-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
That difference in power is one of the peculiarities of a gasser. A naturaly aspirated motor is effected by humidity , density. and temp of the air. My 3 PSDs seemed to be more consistent. I just love my 05 V10 but some days she is way hotter than others but I remember my 66 Comet Cyclone convertable 289 was like this too. So far my V10 has never failed to leave a little tire on the road if I give her a shot in the arm and I have 4.10s. Take care, Wrench.

Old 04-18-2005, 11:14 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
That's a nice theory, but it doesn't hold up in my case. Temp, humidity, whatever, all over the place, the motor performs the same - except when it get's down to 40 degrees, there is a certain amount of extra torque from the denser air. Colder, that goes away.

But I can be driving it one day, it's wimpy, then beat on it a little bit and it's much more powerful, same conditions. Could be the thermostat at 185 degrees isn't getting the motor to optimum temperature for performance...or the computer is calibrated that way and another few degrees in the coolant, it leans out just a little bit more getting the extra umph? Don't know.

Old 04-18-2005, 11:43 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
I doesn't help that I have the 3.73LS and 285s that are in good condition. It just baffles me why a few days before I dang near had to let off because they were spinning and then go to the next extreme of not even being able to break em loose, WTF??????????? Anyway I guess I didn't buy a big truck it to burn $700 worth of tires but its kinda fun non the less.

Old 04-18-2005, 02:45 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
I was thinking about this today, and it just may be that in the initial 20 minutes of running, temperature, whatever, that the computer backs off on the power to help the motor last longer, or tranny?

I've got to get scientific about checking on this, it's sorta driving ME nuts too, but it's been doing the same thing as stock for the last 2.5 years and I don't want to mess with it

(side note: I've messed with lots of things and they work fine, but I'd rather not mess with such a good thing as the V10 - BSEG).

art k.

Old 04-18-2005, 03:48 PM
captchas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe fred has a answer for you. watch the 10 burning 4 turning now , some called a copy right.

Old 04-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Way too many factors to tell but I too have days when she doesn't have all her giddy up n go but most of the time it is all there.

My 01 was a very strong motor and the only time I could tell she had some hidden power was on a very dry very cold clear Texas winter morning. Man they are fun then! Feels like an extra 50 ponies wanting loose!

But man o man in the hot humid middle of summer the power is noticeably off.

But just to be a real butt head I have to say EVERY time I ask her to leave a little scratch to impress a non- believer she has always come through for me.

Old 04-18-2005, 10:28 PM
MountainHound
Elder User
Post Humidity factor...

Originally Posted by Fredvon4
But man o man in the hot humid middle of summer the power is noticeably off.
I agree with Fredvon. I've noticed mine is very dependant on humidity as well. If it's damp or raining outside it feels alot more sluggish. Makes sense-the more moisture in the air, the less oxygen the engine gets per unit of air drawn into the intake.

Some days I can get in my truck cold and it'll snap your neck if you jump on it. Other days, it accelerates like a bulldozer in mud! Ok, not quite that bad but you guys know what I mean!!