Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2005, 08:19 PM
New User

Wanted is starting off with a positive reputation.
2.3-Putting the turbo onto a stock engine

Say this ebay auction. Would something like this, if installed, it would work right? Or would I need a different computer?

Have a sand blaster, so they will all be cleaned up nicely.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33742
Old 04-17-2005, 09:13 PM
Posting Guru

BroncoRoadKill is starting off with a positive reputation.
link no worky, whats th auction #?
I think your block has too be drilled and tapped for the turbo oil lines. I would also asume you will have too have a chip burned for this need.

My truck likes mud.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:45 AM
Junior User

351cj is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
As a owner of a 87 T-BIRD TURBO COUPE ( GOD I LOVED THAT CAR) and MANY V-8's FELT THE STING !!! The bottom end is differant in a standard 2.3L. L@@K around in the local junk yards !!! you'd be surprised as to what you might find !!! At mine i could get you a FACTORY TURBO CHARGED 2.3L for $150.00 !!!!! They come around OFFTEN !!!! For 1 buck and a half ??? how can you go wrong ???? WRENCH on ONE WHILE you DRIVE THE OTHER !!!! COOL CONCEPT !!!!
Old 06-28-2005, 04:27 AM
New User

biggerD is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you really want turbo, take 351cj's advice and get a 2.3t donor to swap instead of trying to turbo your n/a 2.3 ... the n/a 2.3 has a considerably weaker bottom end with cast pistons that can't handle very much boost where as a 2.3t has forged pistons and can handle the boost you want. overall, the swap would be much cheaper than trying to convert your n/a 2.3 block
Old 07-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Posting Guru

Bart99GT is starting off with a positive reputation.
The only difference in the bottom end between turbo and non-turbo motors are the pistons. There is a hole in the block for the oil return, but most n/a blocks made between 83-89 have the boss already there, you just have to drill and tap the hole for the fitting.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Elder User

Samsonitesamsonite is starting off with a positive reputation.
i would serioulsy advise against putting a turbo on a stock 2.3... stock turbo motors come with forged pistons for a reason. if you would be using the turbo as intended you could easily burn a hole through a piston
Old 07-14-2005, 03:38 PM
Junior User

88treadbrite_150_4spd is starting off with a positive reputation.
no boost for stock 2.3 that is a bad program the pistons are very weak and you would blow the head gasket in less than a month
Old 08-05-2005, 09:18 PM
Elder User

Fastronald is starting off with a positive reputation.
Turbo

A turbo on a stock non turbo 2.3?.....KABOOM!

To ALL my fellow Veterans, Thanks!

U.S. Army 1971 - 1974

Founding F.T.E. Illinois Chapter Leader - 2004 - 2005
Old 08-06-2005, 12:06 AM
New User

Wanted is starting off with a positive reputation.
With the turbo engine, how hard is it to put into a newer (93 up) 4 cyl truck with auto?

Will it compete with the V6 in the towing category? I am selling the current truck and buying a newer one, was looking for a v6, but may go 2.3 turbo route?

Object to be towed is about 3-3500 lb, and has brakes.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Junior User

88treadbrite_150_4spd is starting off with a positive reputation.
i think it would be fine for towing just use an intercooler and keep it out of fifth and don't hold boost for a long time when towing.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

TigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputation
I have heard that you can put a turbo on a stock 2.3 if you reset the wastgate to dump the excess boost at a lower pressure than normal, and then baby it. (Yeah right, then what's the point?)

I have two 2.3 turbos sitting on my shelf, thought I might build a turbo motor at some point. A buddy used to race the 2.3 and still has a lot of parts, forged pistons and such. Last time I checked he still had a couple of turbo blocks, but that's no big deal, easy enough to modify a stock block for turbo oil drainback. Someday maybe, when I have a few more projects behind me...

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:00 PM
Posting Guru

99F150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Turbo blocks are cast stronger than non turbo blocks. I believe the turbo blocks are cast in Brazille.
Dan
Old 09-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Postmaster

tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.
If you want to tow, cubic inches are the way to go. A turbo (originally) was designed to be used as an acceleration tool, and not for continuous use (like towing 3/5k). I'd think you'd want a 4.0 for the low end torque to get you going. Plus, the turbo came on stick trans, and you'd be replacing the trans every time you turned around if you stuck a turbo in front of an A4LD (or any other trans expecting 2.3/2.5 torque output). The blocks are all the same, the mains and rods vary over time, and the holes bored differ based on ignition system used.
To reiterate, don't turbo a base 2.3 unless you are going to use it very sparingly, and that is not the case for towing...
tom
Old 09-14-2005, 11:05 AM
Posting Guru

99F150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The turbo blocks have higher nickel content. They are stronger.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Postmaster

tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.
Can't argue with that. I know nothing about nickel content, but most late model 2.3 engines were not only cast in Brazil, but assembled there also.... and it was not Lima, Brazil.

I was unaware that there was a different casting number or part number for the turbo block. Do you have either one or both? Might be a nice thing to know if andwhen I go junk-yarding for a turbo. Don't want to get stiffed by someones 'home built' conversion, or incorrect block replacement.
tom

Last edited by tomw; 09-14-2005 at 12:18 PM. Reason: added thought
Old 09-14-2005, 12:16 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines

Tags
23, block, boost, bottom, brazil, converting, end, engine, ford, motor, na, nickel, putting, run, standard, stock, turbo