duratec 2.3l upgrades available?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Beastmaster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
duratec 2.3l upgrades available?

i was just wondering if anyone has heard about any performance upgrades coming out for the new 2.3l motors. checked a couple local shops and there is nothing out there according to them, which i expected with the escape, but now that the focus 2.3 is out, maybe the tuners will find out these are very snappy motors through most of the rpm range and start getting some goodies out for them. looking to improve mileage mostly and have learned that some boosts in hp and tq will help if you don't try to burn the tires off all day. thanks for any help in advance all

Old 09-03-2005, 09:37 AM
jbau
Senior User
Originally Posted by Beastmaster
i was just wondering if anyone has heard about any performance upgrades coming out for the new 2.3l motors.
Well I'm interested in the same with my 05 2.3L Ranger, but as you noticed, there isn't much out there. Opening up the intake and exhaust is definitely worthwhile on this engine. Remove the intake 'silencer from the airbox. Replace the stock muffler with something that flows better - I just did it with a Dynomax SuperTurbo and was surprised by the power gained. Draxas makes a header for it, I plan on getting one, but so far, the company had horrible service - it's taking them 5 days minimum to answer an email... not good.

That's as far as I've gotten with it.

Old 09-03-2005, 03:31 PM
Beastmaster
Senior User
local shop nar my house makes custom headers, might go there and have entire exhaust system reworked, running it tighter to undercarriage maybe even down the center where the awd driveshaft and rear diff would go with slightly larger pipe and free flowing muffler, cat. they could probably make me a custom mandrel bent cold air intake too. that would be a nice boost but not sure it would be fully efficient without computer work and an aftermarket mass air flow sensor.

Old 09-03-2005, 06:02 PM
fordguy21
Senior User
Just a thought, check out some ford focus sites, the focus also uses the 2.0 and 2.3 duratec engine

Old 09-03-2005, 08:57 PM
jbau
Senior User
Yeah, but (unfortunately) the Focus a transverse-mounted FWD, so no bolt-ons will fit, only cams and such.

Old 09-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Beastmaster
Senior User
opened up airbox, no intake silencer on escapes and the maf sensor is surpisingly free flowing so no need to look for aftermarket there, guess its time to hit that shop for a quote when i get time with work being soooo busy right now might be a while, will post a new thread when i get it done to let you know how it works.. will try to get specs from shop when they do it so i can post that too, might even try a small scoop on drivers side and rework airbox to get air there instead of from behind bumper cover if the air stream is positive in that location. plenty of underhood room to do it, just need to fab the pipe from intake to airbox and make a bracket to mount box vertically. maf sensor is on box so no prob there, just spin it up, put a rubber gasket on top, and mount cut off section of filter side to bottom of hood and smooth it into scoop bottom. will let know on this one with specs too if it'll work