2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Tonneaus

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 03:28 PM
darko21
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question on Tonneaus

Hi all first post here.
I have a new 2005 fx4 screw which is white with the two tone dark shadow grey secondary color. Plus a bed extender.

I am thinking of buying a tonneau however my first concern is color while I really like the white too much of it might make my truck appear more as a work truck. So what do you guys think about going with a dark shadow grey tonneau? or even black for that matter. I think my truck would not look as good with a giant white lid on the back and I'm concerned it might look like a pickup with an unmatched canopy if I go with the dark grey.

Another concern is will the bed extender still flip over with the top up? Also if the tail board is down with the extender out will the tonneau close and stay closed?

Thanks for any help.

Old 04-18-2005, 12:09 AM
likalarry
Senior User
Originally Posted by darko21
Hi all first post here.

I am thinking of buying a tonneau however my first concern is color while I really like the white too much of it might make my truck appear more as a work truck. So what do you guys think about going with a dark shadow grey tonneau? or even black for that matter. I think my truck would not look as good with a giant white lid on the back and I'm concerned it might look like a pickup with an unmatched canopy if I go with the dark grey.

Another concern is will the bed extender still flip over with the top up? Also if the tail board is down with the extender out will the tonneau close and stay closed?

Thanks for any help.
My opinion: I think the dark hard cover on a mostly white truck would look odd. About your question: "will the bed extender still flip over with the top up"? Do you mean with the top DOWN in the closed position? Go look at your extender. When you flip it over, it briefly extends higher than the top edge of the truck bed. Unless I'm missing something here, yes, you'll have to raise your cover to flip over the extender. As to your second question: I think most covers are secured to the sides of the bed, not to the tailgate, so most likely the tailgate can be in the lowered position with the cover in place. You may have to raise the cover slightly to lower the tailgate, depending on which cover you buy. In fact, I hauled 8' lumber today with my tailgate dropped and my soft roll-up Access cover in place. Good luck.
Larry in SF, CA

Old 04-18-2005, 11:32 AM
darko21
New User
Thanks for the reply,

In the galleries I see lots of black Tonneau but only in soft top versions like this
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=64969&width=0
or this
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=40527&width=0

What I wan't is a locking hard top version

My truck looks just like this
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=42691&width=0

What I personaly don't care for is this look
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=54622&width=0

So now I'm looking at this one, only I'll go with the black powder coated rails like the one on this chevy.
h**p://
images.autoanything.com/images/products/rell/tonneau_covers/mountaintop_chevy_black_blkrails.jpg

So what do you guys think of that look? and does anyone know of Mountain Top Tonneau are they quality etc?

Thanks for any replies.

Last edited by darko21; 04-18-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:38 PM
boomer08
Senior User
I have a White 04 FX4 and I thinking about the Undercover or the Retrax. Both are black and I think they would look the best. I think a White cover would be too much white. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-18-2005, 04:55 PM
darko21
New User
Originally Posted by boomer08
I have a White 04 FX4 and I thinking about the Undercover or the Retrax. Both are black and I think they would look the best. I think a White cover would be too much white. Just my 2 cents.
I like your train of thought. I am now looking into the retrax type setup. The fact you can get a stove or whatever in the box appeals to me.

BTW nice truck you have there personaly I think the flare side look the best but 4 full doors was what I really wanted. I plan on doing a 2 inch front leveling and going with the bushwacker fender flares to match the two tone dark shadow grey. With the black retrax and yet to be installed mud gauards bug and rain deflectors plus a bed rug I figure I'll have a nice looking truck but it would be hard to beat the outside appearance of a flairside.

Maybe ford will offer 4 full doors on a flairside for 2006.

I'll post pics once my rig is tricked out.

Old 04-18-2005, 05:01 PM
boomer08
Senior User
Thanks for the compliment. If I had to do it over again I would have got the 4 door. It is a pain in the a$$ when you have people in the back and are trying to get out in a crowded parking lot. Too bad they don't have the Flareside in a true 4 door.

Old 04-18-2005, 10:52 PM
darko21
New User
Originally Posted by boomer08
If I had to do it over again I would have got the 4 door. It is a pain in the a$$ when you have people in the back and are trying to get out in a crowded parking lot.
I hear ya, a buddy of mine talked me out of the flair side for that reason in particular.

Still,,,, I love the look nothing at all in the market compares to it. One sharp looking truck.