Sponsored by:

what is the name of this part? Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 06:01 PM
tygarcia
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is the name of this part? Need Help

I need to know the proper name for the part that is connected to the blower motor on the fender well and looks like a giant coffee can. On a 1982 Ford Bronco. This is my problem at first my AC compressor broke and went ahead and replace everything associated with that. Next would not blow so I replaced the blower motor. Next, It would only blow out of the defroster vents so I went to a junk yard and connected that looks like a black ball to the end of the vacuum that comes out of the blower motor. And it works but now when I am driving it stops blowing for a little while then it blows again. I rerouted the vacuum line from that coffee can canister to that black ball. Sorry do not know the proper name for these parts!!!! Should I go back to that canister or get a bigger black ball???

Old 04-13-2005, 06:47 PM
MatthewC
Elder User
Ahh...vent selection problems. We've all had them. The part you are looking at is the vaccuum canister. They have a tendancy of rusting out on the bottom so check that out, as well as the vaccuum hoses going in and out of it. Junk yard would be the best place to scope out a replacement.

-Matt

Old 04-15-2005, 09:40 PM
Trublufords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with the plastic one and get a new vac check valve also(unless plastic one has two pipes on it, built in check valve)- forget about salvage yard tomatoe cans- prob just as bad as yours- unless we are talking freebees!!!!

Old 04-16-2005, 08:55 AM
scurbiedog
Senior User
My 1982 has the exact same thing,I found a small vacume line,looks the size of an ink pen refill,coming out of the fire wall at the top by the blower motor.It had some cracks so,I taped it up, the vents started working then after a bit it just went back to the defrost vent,does anyone know if it could be those silver small canisters with the arm for the vent position,one by the blower motor in the engine compartment and one in the dash?

Old 04-16-2005, 10:19 PM
Trublufords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are called vacuum motors and you check them by appiling vac. to them and they should hold arm in without adding more and more vac.(put a hose on pipe on motor and suck on hose untill arm pulls back them stop up hose with your tongue- should hold arm in)Repair hard plastic vac. lines with small vac.hose(windshield washer hose works great-spray wd-40 in hose will help on slipping rubber hose over plastic vac. line) Vac. tanks are for reserve when going up long hills or at WOT,Manifold vac. fills the tanks at idle or when rpms are leveled out(like cruiseing at highway speeds)No vac or very low vac when your foot is on the floor- thats when reserve comes into play to keep all the doors where you want them( defrost is federally mandated to work when no vac. is there at all-a safety issue- you know to keep windshied clear in any situation!!!Lose vac- go to defrost) Don't forget about vac. check valve- lets vac. into can-tank, does not let it escape out input hose(from engine) when at wot